Are you a new member? Come here and say hi!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello
My name is Dennis. I am a Photographer in PA. I shoot track days at Summit Point, Pocono Raceway, VIR and Monticello. My company is called Race Day Photo. If you have done a track day at one of those tracks, you probably have a picture from me.
Today I am picking up an 85 VMax. It is a real rat bike. But I am getting for a winter project. And I am excited. This is not my first VMax. I had a 92 for years and loved it. But all my friends preassured me into selling it to get a Sport bike. They all did track days or raced and wanted me there. When the R1 came out I caved and sold the bike. I regretted it the minute I saw the bike leave my driveway.
I am not good with shiney things. I am more of a rider then a shiner. And I have been know to race/stunt/crash. So my RatMax should be a perfect fit. I still remember quite a bit about VMax issues and fixes, but I doubt I can be more helpful then some of the hardcore guys already on the site. But if anyone has any photography, photo editeding or Road Racing/Track day questions, I am a fountain of info. I also work closely with a local graphics guy (drippinwet). He does bike kits. So I know and can arrange custom work if anyone needs help.
Thanks for having me......Dennis

love to see some pics of the ratbike when ya get it!

Hello
My name is Dennis. I am a Photographer in PA. I shoot track days at Summit Point, Pocono Raceway, VIR and Monticello. My company is called Race Day Photo. If you have done a track day at one of those tracks, you probably have a picture from me.
Today I am picking up an 85 VMax. It is a real rat bike. But I am getting for a winter project. And I am excited. This is not my first VMax. I had a 92 for years and loved it. But all my friends preassured me into selling it to get a Sport bike. They all did track days or raced and wanted me there. When the R1 came out I caved and sold the bike. I regretted it the minute I saw the bike leave my driveway.
I am not good with shiney things. I am more of a rider then a shiner. And I have been know to race/stunt/crash. So my RatMax should be a perfect fit. I still remember quite a bit about VMax issues and fixes, but I doubt I can be more helpful then some of the hardcore guys already on the site. But if anyone has any photography, photo editeding or Road Racing/Track day questions, I am a fountain of info. I also work closely with a local graphics guy (drippinwet). He does bike kits. So I know and can arrange custom work if anyone needs help.
Thanks for having me......Dennis

Welcome! Rat bikes can be some of the funnest bikes... I am the opposite of you though. I think I enjoy looking and cleaning them more than riding. :confused2:

I'd like to see you start a thread with some examples of your work.

I love seeing pictures.

Chris

I will throw something together. Right now I think I will be preocccupied with the new bike. I love a rat bike. Especially as a track bike. I have to control ride the beginner group at Summit. I might even use the VMax if it will pass tech. I will be working the beginner group. so they will not be going to fast. It should make for some intersting pictures power sliding thru turn 6....

KTM_9080.jpg

My KTM at Summit.

Hi folks.....New member here from Alberta, Canada. I just purchased a 92 Vmax last week that needs some tlc and as such I immediately searched and found this great forum which came in very handy already thanks to the knowledgeable help of RagingMain (thanks again). I have been going over the Max making sure its roadworthy and looking forward to detailing it up some to get rid of some past neglect. I also am the proud owner of an 06 Roadliner S which is my main ride. I quite honestly bought the Vmax cuz deep down theres a hooligan aching to get out lol. I will post some pix of the Max when I get it home from the shop but for now heres some pix of my liner.

Edited to include my name......Dean

Attachments

• DSC01134.jpg
    DSC01134.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 11
  • Roadliner pix 012.jpg
    Roadliner pix 012.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
welcome dirty. nice roadliner there. can't wait to see 'max pics.

Hello everyone,

I am new here and this is my first post.

I bought a new 09 Vmax in January #63/150 in Aus and NZ.
This beast is awesome, I had my mind set on one from the first moment I saw a concept design in a magazine about 8 years ago.
I now have 9000ks/5580miles...(smiles), had two rear tyres and due for a new front tyre in about a month.
Max has not missed a beat or played up at all, a real credit to Yamaha/Star Motorcycles for a top quality bike.
I live in Tasmania on the westcoast, The mountains around here have all been tamed by the Vmax.

I will head over to mainland Oz for a tour in the next 12 months to catch up with fellow Vmaxers I know.

Anyway Hello to Everyone,

Best Regards from Downunder...Downunder.

Cheers from Pokey.

Hello everyone,

I am new here and this is my first post.

I bought a new 09 Vmax in January #63/150 in Aus and NZ.
This beast is awesome, I had my mind set on one from the first moment I saw a concept design in a magazine about 8 years ago.
I now have 9000ks/5580miles...(smiles), had two rear tyres and due for a new front tyre in about a month.
Max has not missed a beat or played up at all, a real credit to Yamaha/Star Motorcycles for a top quality bike.
I live in Tasmania on the westcoast, The mountains around here have all been tamed by the Vmax.

I will head over to mainland Oz for a tour in the next 12 months to catch up with fellow Vmaxers I know.

Anyway Hello to Everyone,

Best Regards from Downunder...Downunder.

Cheers from Pokey.

Welcome!

What's Up everyone. My name is Dave out of Baltimore, MD. Just bought my first V-MAX, I got an 03 with Holeshot exhaust. Going for that Quadzilla UFO exhaust next year. Ride safe.

-Dave

new member Sayin Hi!

Good day all.

I am a recent owner of a 96 model Max. She has 27 000 km on the clock and I couldnt be happier with her. I have a few old Honda 750's but the Max is a whole new league of fun! I am still reluctant to fully open up the throttle but I have only owned the bike for a week so am still getting to grips with her.

Any other members from Cape town or SA here?

Thanks to all the members and administrators for creating this forum, it looks great and am sure it will be a huge help in the coming months. Hopefully I will be making contributions too.

Till next time...safe riding!

Howdy! Just joined the Vmax forum the other day, having migrated over here from the xjbikes forum. I can tell this forum is going to be a great resource.

I bought an 85 Vmax last week from a guy who said that it ran "perfect." It has 28,000 miles on it and looks like its 24 years old. I took a train to Arlington to get the bike and ride it back home about 150 miles. I found out the bike doesn't run "perfect", because it lost power and stalled 4 times on the way home. I would have to sit on the roadside for a little, then start it back up and be on my way until the next stall episode. When I would crank down on the acceleration going up through the gears, the bike has a significant cough and sputter session in the 5-7K RPM band. The PO said he always had the bike serviced every year, and that he had the carbs "overhauled" last year, and that the gas tank had been drained and cleaned. Does it sound like the carbs have gotten dirt stuck somewhere, and that's why it stalls, but then starts back up after a short sit? Does the sputter and cough sound like a sync problem, or a too rich mixture problem?

Even with the bike running less than perfect, it sure was excellent when the upper RPM smoothed out - the Vmax is a beast!

i'd start your own thread for those questions bud! i would check your fuel filter first, see what it looks like.

coughing, surging is lean, but if the gas is crap gotta get that figured out first

welcome tho!

Ya, welcome to THE best Vmax forum!

Like Garrett said, the fuel filter's a good start, and also I would drain the gas tank (it has a drain bolt) and take a good look inside to make sure it isn't corroded.

If no joy, the next thing would be to do 'the shotgun', draining the float bowls will show if you have crap in there, and the rest of the procedure is a good clean up that's never a bad thing to do about once a year especially if the bike sits or has sat for any period of time.

Instructions here: http://vmax.lvlhead.com/tips/shotgun.htm

Thanks for the tips - I read through the Shotgun, and it looks promising. I sure hope I can clear this up. Riding this bike is so much different than my xj650, and the power is just crazy.

Hello all, just stopping in to check out the VMax scene. Name's Wayne from Ft. Worth, Tx. Thinking about picking up an early model to tinker with. Nice looking forum!

hey wayne. welcome! feel free to start a thread or post here with the bikes ur looking at (with pics) and we'll help ya find one!

Back