Are you a new member? Come here and say hi!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello vmaxer's,

I just purchased a mint 2007 Vmax that is bone stock with 2200 miles. I live in Michigan and am looking forward to a lot of miles on the bike. I also spend a lot of time on my KTM in the woods.

My list of mods that I plan on doing soon are;
making a backrest for my wife / kids
ORU slash cut exhaust or I may just build my own
air filter kit, dynojet stage 7 kit and a shift light

I've owned an offroad fabrication company for 10years and also do a fair amount of welding consulting / training / inspections all over the U.S.

Look forward to picking your brains, riding with the "locals" to me.
Thanks in advance!
James

For the other newbie above in NYC, I may be in Newark for a while working so I'll get a taste for the east coast city riding also. I have a lot of relative in your neck of the woods you definately need to be an alert / aggressive rider to stay alive in the city.

jkoz10: Very nice way to start out as a VMaxer. Last year, very low miles.

I've got a homemade sissy bar on my 89. I bent a steel rod, painted it and bolted it to the grab bar. Other bike has factory bar that CaptainKyle found and had powder coated for me...

Wow, what a great line of work to be in......

Welcome to VMF

Hey guys,
Congratulations on this most awesome site, and thank you. I've spent the last day and a half reading through the tech info, and am very impressed. The pictures and the step by steps have answered sooo many questions, increased my confidence with tacking the inner workings, and has already improved the performance of my beloved 89 V max.

Thanks for having me,

thesieg

Hey guys, another f*%@$ing newbie here, I finally bought a vmax after thinking I'd like to have one for the last 20 some years. Just bought a 1986 for cheap with a knocking motor, hopefully I'll get that ironed out right away and on to the mods. I've been on bikes forever and really been into the Raptor 700 scene the last 5 years and done tons of mods there, it will be nice to move on to a new project. Anyway, I'll try to use the search forum and not ask too many newb questions but I can't resist already, what's the best exhaust/ intake/ cams/ headports/ pistons/ cranks/ anything else you guys can think of? :lol:

welcome to the club. wrt exhaust, the guys on here have three favorite fullups: marks, kerker, and, holeshot. i've seen that a few guys have a hindle, v&h, and before they were discontinued, jardines, or are those slipons (speaking of which, supertrapps seem to be the preferred slipon). one of the factors that some guys entertain when upgrading the exhaust is whether or not to keep the center stand. can't speak to your other interests.

again enjoy the ride!

what's the best exhaust/ intake/ cams/ headports/ pistons/ cranks/ anything else you guys can think of? :lol:

Exhaust is a matter of opinion. Lots of factors to determine you choice. Looks, sound, and center stand retention are the main things to help you decide. There are a few good choices. Kerker, Marks, Holeshot, Hindle, UFO are the main choices that are easily available.

If you're looking for pistons/cranks/cams you need to get with Sean Morley from Morley Muscle or PCW racing. Either place will get you setup with those kind of parts.

Awesome guys, thanks for the welcome and the responses. My center stand is already gone so I'm guessing it's had an exhaust system on it already. I want a full system for sure and whatever is top tier, along with the other parts. I assumed all the other stuff would come down to a handful of top builders, that's usually the case. I just took an iphone video of the bike to let people hear the clattering it's doing, hopefully it's something simple like the valves out of adjustment. If I can figure out how to post a vid I'll start a thread lol.

I want a full system for sure and whatever is top tier.

like mike said, "top tier" is a matter of personal preference. if sound is your priority, youtube has a bunch of vids of guys and their vmaxes' exhaust. just google youtube for vmax exhaust.

if i can find, i think allisontech posted a vid of his recentely installed kerker. damn!!!

[edit]thought they were kerkers, but apparantly they are UFOs: http://www.vmaxforum.net/showpost.php?p=186096&postcount=106

That could be a loose exhaust header. Try removing the rear exhaust covers and check for leaks/loose fittings. You may need new exhaust gaskets if it has been leaking and run for a long time.
Let us know what you find.

That could be a loose exhaust header. Try removing the rear exhaust covers and check for leaks/loose fittings. You may need new exhaust gaskets if it has been leaking and run for a long time.
Let us know what you find.
Edit: It could also be coming from the clutch as well. A more experienced ear should be able to tell if that's a clutch sound or not.

OK will do, right after recording the noise of the engine I used a cut off chunk of broom handle for a stethoscope and checked the knocking sound/ feel that way, the most noise was coming from the right rear cylinder on the exhaust cam, so I'm in that area for sure. I pulled the valve cover off and looked around a bit, looks like the exhaust cam on that cylinder in particular isn't making full contact all the time around the base circle, it's not as shiny as the rest on that bank. I was almost wondering then if it had way too small of shims under the buckets there. I'll go get my feeler gauges and check the valve clearances and check the headers and gaskets while I'm in there. Thanks for the input.

is it weird that it stops during accel (or so it sounds) and only appears on throttle holds or decel?

that's the part I wanted people to hear for sure, on quick accel and decel the sound lags behind it. I was thinking loose timing chain or loose valves myself. Or something loose in the valvetrain.

Greetings Fellow Maxxers!
My name's Brady and I finally joined your ranks and bought a '97 Max after dreaming about one for many years. I've been combing through the threads and really appreciate the breadth of information everyone has contributed. Let the modifying begin!
BTW: I would love to hear from any other Maxxers around Kansas City.

welcome to the mix brady! as you already can tell, this forum is filled with folks that collectively will help you build, mod, and maintain your beast to its fullest potential!

Back