Are you a new member? Come here and say hi!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi All, I'm Rob and when I say I'm a super noob I mean not only is this my first V Max (a 98 with just over 5k on it), this is my first motorcycle. I am currently deployed in Afghanistan and for the past couple month have been trolling the wen in search of a bike that inspired me. The V Max is it. I can't keep my nose out of the tech forums and I have practically read the service repair manual (downloaded from these very forums) cover to cover. You guys and gals are a great source of info and Im glad I found you.

Hello all another newbe here,Just bought a 88 VMAX with 16k original mi and I have all kinds of questions about it that I hope this forum can answer.up till now I've been having trouble getting password information sent to me email address last I checked I don't have any filters turned on that would block info like that.any help in that arena would be really appreciated so I can access the locked parts of this site. thanks again,

Jeff

Last edited:
Hello! Greetings from sunny Florida. I'm glad to have found this forum because I have some questions that I hope that I can get some advice on. I have a 93 on which the previous owner put some Jardine slip ons. As far as I can tell, he didn't re-jet the carbs. Is this necessary? I do hear a popping sound on hard acceleration and deceleration. What does this mean? Also, I was interested in a 4 into 1 system. I'm not really into drag racing or top end horsepower. I would rather increase bottom end and midrange. Would it be better to re-jet for the slip ons or get an entire system. Many times full systems increase top end at the expense of low rpm power. I'd appreciate any wisdom that you guys can share.

Hi, I just dropped in to say hello to all fellow forum members. Last month i collected my courage and asked my wife the permission to make my childhood's dream a reality and bought myself a Vmax. Some of my friend's say that it's the incarnation of my midlife crisis. It's been 15 years since I last rode a motorcycle so I decided to do it properly this time. My ride is 1999 Canadian that I bought from Germany and shipped it here to Finland. I've read this forum for some time now and I have found it very information filled and entertaining. Lots of expertise around. I'm gonna ask some questions if i don't find answers by using search. Till then I keep on reading.

Welcome Blacksun 71, I'm sure you'll enjoy your time here !

Last edited:
CaptainKyle,
Back in those wild days i had Honda CBR 600 and before that Kawasaki Gpx 500. A bit of a girlish bikes, some might say. This time there's much more challenge in the air. Hope not too much.

Hello! Greetings from sunny Florida. I'm glad to have found this forum because I have some questions that I hope that I can get some advice on. I have a 93 on which the previous owner put some Jardine slip ons. As far as I can tell, he didn't re-jet the carbs. Is this necessary? I do hear a popping sound on hard acceleration and deceleration. What does this mean? Also, I was interested in a 4 into 1 system. I'm not really into drag racing or top end horsepower. I would rather increase bottom end and midrange. Would it be better to re-jet for the slip ons or get an entire system. Many times full systems increase top end at the expense of low rpm power. I'd appreciate any wisdom that you guys can share.
Welcome Samfish ! I am in Tampa watch the forum & maybe you can make it out to join us for one of our tech days at my place.

Hi all, greetings from Oslo Norway. I bought my first VMAX a little more than a year ago. I love every minute riding it.
It's a beautiful 05 anniversary model. I had a friend picking it up in Germany where a 'collector' had been taking very good care of it over the years.
Looks almost as new :clapping:
Merry Christmas all - may spring come soon!

Bjorn

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 7
IMAG1740_zps6d53bd81.jpg

Brand Noob here...well, to this site anyway:)

Sold my last (89) V-Max back in 06 when I stopped riding, and now I'm back in the game.

Just purchased a 2005 CA model with 16k, and after surfing this forum for a while, I immediately purchased and installed a Marks 4-2 (2" on sale for the holidays), and Sean Morley's jet kit.

It's too early to say much about performance, as I've only taken one ride so far, and can tell it's not going to be an out-of-the-box win (it never is). I CAN say that that Mark's exhaust sounds amazing, and you can't beat the way he does business.

As for Morley's kit...here's what Ive done so far with the installation:

1. Idle Mixtures: I was careful to record the factory's settings prior to disassembly...which were:

Cyl 1: 1 1/8 turns
Cyl 2: 1 7/8 turns
Cyl 3: 1 Turn
Cyl 4: 7/8 Turn

I installed everything per Sean's verbal instructions, (He recommended I start with 157,5 Mains, 2.5 turns out on the mixtures, and needles clipped second from blunt end). I deviated slightly by starting with 160 mains, and I've found the bike idling / coming off idle ok with each carb 1 full turn out from stock (I tried the 2.5 turns recommended, and it was close, but my settings pop more and transition better).

I confirmed correct float levels by performing a wet check with the bowl drains...all were 15/16mm from horizontal mark on carb castings.

Synced the carbs per the manual...I used a guage kit from Amazon http://www.amazon.com/vacuum-carbur...UTF8&qid=1356395124&sr=8-5&keywords=carb+sync. This kit is awesome...it has adjustable orifices to control needle bounce...and don't worry, all it does is minimize bounce, which doesn't change the average vacuum reading. Definitely better / easier to use than my old manometer I "loaned away" to someone years ago.

Took it for a spin, and I've definitely got some tuning to do...no more wheelie going into second (I think it did one, but it was a tiny one and I couldn't do it after 3 or 4 more times trying). It doesn't like 5k coasting, and the pull seems to drop off as I approach redline. Plugs are a thick, medium tan...I may throw in the stock needles (since that's easiest) to see if leaning things out will make any diff. If not, I'll go down to Sean's original recommendation.

I only have 3 minor complaints so far:

1. No 5/32 drill bit for slides as advertised (It's OK...I had one of my own, and judging from the overwhelmingly positive reviews Sean gets, I'm sure he just forgot to put it in).

2. No clear instructions: If I were a total noob, without calling Sean, there's no way I'd have gotten this thing installed correctly. I'm a seasoned carb guy and I still needed to call for instruction. DJ has a really great set of instructions...where's the simple PDF for this kit? Sean would only have to invest the time to craft it once and avoid much confusion and future phone calls. Just a suggestion.

3. The crankcase ventilation t-fitting: Mine's too short after cutting it per the instructions on Sean's site...would be nice to include a bit of extra hose for those who may need it. That restrictor kind of sucks...wouldn't take much to get it turned sideways in the hose and defeat the purpose of it being there, and make your intake valves look like chewed tar.

Let me follow up this negativity by saying that both, Sean and Mark were absolute pleasures to deal with over the phone. Hell, Mark sent me the exhaust without receiving so much as a penny! Then I sent him a check with a thank you note, and instead of running to the bank, he sat on it, ensuring that I liked the system before cashing it. Pret-ty awesome indeed! Sean invested a great deal of time with me on the phone...just prior to the holidays no less...and for that I say BRAVO! I also learned that he and I have aviation maintenance in common...so...I know his attention to detail has potential to be quite high:)

It's great to be back on a MAX, and I look forward to meeting more of you folks. To Sean, Mark and anyone else listening...thank you and Merry Christmas!!

Last edited:
My name is Gary Thomas and I was in the motorcycle business starting in 1974 to 1996, service mgr for several honda dealers,yamaha dealers and owned my own repair shop and speed shop where we did everything from turbocharging to nos bikes ,set many national records running turbocharged kawasakis.
my vmax experience started in 86 when i became service mgr for Charlie
Browns Yamaha Honda of Lexington in levington ky.When I first started there I had already had in a short period of time several vmaxs with engine problems. spun rods,Back then the guys on Thursday night ride really liked the Vmax burnout. Did discover the now famous oil oring push out though on the first one or two the o ring was not obvious. Did contact yamaha tech about this as the ones i was working on were under warrenty and yamaha took care of them.
bought my first V max in 86 and bought a used motor,keep it for a short time and sold it,money was just too good to pass up
Just bought an 85 vmax and in the process of bring it back to life.
i have owned faster bikes,sportbikes, racebikes,turbo bikes and nitrous, But there is just something about a VMAX.!!!!:biglaugh::biglaugh:
Thanks,
Gary

Welcome Gary!........And even the experts agree.........Something about a V-max!................:punk:..................Tom.

Back