Backfire and popping out of right side exhaust

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finished it up last night. Fired it up and synced the carbs with my digi sync. Noticed that the bike had a hard time staying at 1000 rpms. Idle would fluctuate. Would idle between 980-1040ish. Normal??? Anyways, got the carbs in sync. Have not had a chance for a test ride yet. Hopefully tomorrow. [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine is rock steady.....did it have issues staying at idle before all of this?

Well... I attributed the fluctuation to the digital readout if the digi sync and how it references it's rpm by vacuum pulses. I synced the carbs last fall and it did the same thing before the mods. All readings on the digi sync were fluctuating a little. All carb readouts were within two digits. Suggestions??

When was the last time the valve settings were checked? I know that can affect engine vacuum, and I believe that it was Damon that proved that.

That sounds good.

Thanks! Only got to idle around the neighborhood this evening. My 4 year old wanted to ride with daddy. Lol. Hopefully tomorrow I will take it out and all will be good. [emoji16]

Sounds crisp and consistent to me, never heard dual pipes before.

Thanks! Delkevics with the baffles in. Little louder than my modified stocks and a LOT quieter than with the baffles out! Lol.

Well, started up to take a test ride today finally... Again the popping is back. Didn't make it out of the driveway. My son and I rode it around the neighborhood for an hour the other day and all was good. Going to shotgun one more time.

Thanks. Will check. Hopefully going to get to work on it this evening. Slides and needles looked great along with the diaphragms. I notice when I drain the bowls. Some bowls have a better flow than others which lead me to thinking its junks some debris in the bowls. Eventually I will get it all out. I hope

417430ef622ba279b2d8aeb360259693.jpg

Round four... Lol

Ok. I think the problem is sediment in the bowls themselves. I drained them again and got some more junk out of them. I took the main fuel line of the carb bank and cycled the fuel pump a couple of times into a container. Fuel is clean and clear. I did install a new fuel filter. Took a little ride and the bike is a little better but not 100%. Seems like it would stumble a bit and then come on strong. That was just gently rolling the throttle. A/F screws are between 1 1/2 to 2. One carb seems to not be affected by A/F adjustment. Going to drain carbs again and see if any more junks comes out. Again I think my problem is crap into bowls...

Update:

Well. After several attempts
To diagnose my issue I went ahead and went back to square one. My issues arose after installing cops, plugs, and doing the shotgun procedure.

Well, first thing is I removed the cops and reinstalled the stock coils and wires. Then I drained the bowls again and performed the shotgun procedure. I then took of the fuel line after the new fuel filter and placed it in a can of sea foam. I cycled the fuel pump a couple of times to fill the bowls with sea foam and let it set for 24hrs. I then drained the bowls and let the pump refill the carbs with fuel. I set my A/F screws to 2 1/2 turns. I hit the button and it sounded good. I just finished and 40 mile ride and so far so good. I'll keep you all posted.

Well... Lol. I've ridden about two hundred miles and haven't had any issues. Just trying to fine tune my a/f screws. As for the popping, that was somewhat noticeable last fall before the COPS install.

A big shout out to Blaxmax he has been more than helpful. My hat is off to him he stands behind his product.

Back