Bad Ride to Work

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerbellybill

Reaction score
A car in another lane kicked up a big rock and it hurled it into my shin, then it bounced off and hit my left crankcase cover. Anyone ever tried touching up a 2007? Looks like it's black powder coat. I have two little chips that some touchup paint could take car of. If I decide to get anal about it in the winter could someone stear me in the right direction about replacing the left crank cover? Looks like this is the coolant side? So I would need a gasket and a means to dean all my coolant out.... Well it woke me up faster than coffee this morning anyway. Still love my Vmax, got almost 500 miles on her.

A car in another lane kicked up a big rock and it hurled it into my shin, then it bounced off and hit my left crankcase cover. Anyone ever tried touching up a 2007? Looks like it's black powder coat. I have two little chips that some touchup paint could take car of. If I decide to get anal about it in the winter could someone stear me in the right direction about replacing the left crank cover? Looks like this is the coolant side? So I would need a gasket and a means to dean all my coolant out.... Well it woke me up faster than coffee this morning anyway. Still love my Vmax, got almost 500 miles on her.

Glad your ok Bill. :clapping: If its the left side cover than that would be the Stator Cover. Now if your left is the same as my left. Sitting on the bike looking down left cover = stator yes there is a gasket. right side large cover = clutch smaller cover towards the front = water pump.

Tough luch Bill, but if your like most Vmaxs that I've seen you will have wear areas on the clutch cover(larger engine cover on RH side) and the gear cover(smaller engine cover on LH side).
Keep those miles and smiles rolling Bill! :punk:

If your looking at the driver's left side of the bike it's the large cover just in front of the shifter. Not the small circular cover on it, but the big cover it mounts to. THe rock dings are on the top of it. The part is located at http://www.powersedge.com/pages/parts/viewbybrand/62/default.aspx SKU: 1FK-15411-10-00. I know I would feel better if I touched it up, although finding a paint match for that might be tough. (Please stear me in the right direction if anyone has tpouch up paints that work well. If I replace the cover it will cost me about $100, I wouldn't mind doing that after riding seaon is over, I just didn't know what lies behind that cover. There is a gasket for it too. I'm guessing the cover is sealing coolant.

If your looking at the driver's left side of the bike it's the large cover just in front of the shifter. Not the small circular cover on it, but the big cover it mounts to. THe rock dings are on the top of it. The part is located at http://www.powersedge.com/pages/parts/viewbybrand/62/default.aspx SKU: 1FK-15411-10-00. I know I would feel better if I touched it up, although finding a paint match for that might be tough. (Please stear me in the right direction if anyone has tpouch up paints that work well. If I replace the cover it will cost me about $100, I wouldn't mind doing that after riding seaon is over, I just didn't know what lies behind that cover. There is a gasket for it too. I'm guessing the cover is sealing coolant.

That is the STATOR cover. OIL, its hold oil Bill. If you are not mechanically inclined I would not recommend changing it. Its the most challenging one to change. Just breaking the screws loose that hold the stator in place are a bitch. After you break them screws loose you have to route wires.
Just get ya some touch up paint.
Hi Temp that cover will get up to 270F degrees.

Tough luch Bill, but if your like most Vmaxs that I've seen you will have wear areas on the clutch cover(larger engine cover on RH side) and the gear cover(smaller engine cover on LH side).
Keep those miles and smiles rolling Bill! :punk:

Not mine. Powder Coated I can rub my feet on em for the next 10 yrs and it wont come off.. Powder Coat is the only way to go. Love that stuff. No more chips flaking, rub wear marks.:eusa_dance:

Not mine. Powder Coated I can rub my feet on em for the next 10 yrs and it wont come off.. Powder Coat is the only way to go. Love that stuff. No more chips flaking, rub wear marks.:eusa_dance:

I'm getting 'em done to mine over the winter when I tear the bike down. :thumbs up::cheers:

I'm getting 'em done to mine over the winter when I tear the bike down. :thumbs up::cheers:

You will love it. Man, just goto Eastwood and buy there hotcoat gun setup.
I was working on something and dropped a wrench and it hit the top of the clutch cover and I was scared to look and nadda a nick scratch or mark on it. If it was the factory paint would have had a nice little blem.

You will love it. Man, just goto Eastwood and buy there hotcoat gun setup.
I was working on something and dropped a wrench and it hit the top of the clutch cover and I was scared to look and nadda a nick scratch or mark on it. If it was the factory paint would have had a nice little blem.

There are a few places local that do it for cheap rather me buying the kit and a spare oven for the garage haha. I've heard nothing but good from the Eastwood kit though.

That is the STATOR cover. OIL, its hold oil Bill. If you are not mechanically inclined I would not recommend changing it. Its the most challenging one to change. Just breaking the screws loose that hold the stator in place are a bitch. After you break them screws loose you have to route wires.
I was once a Mechanic that worked on plastic blowmolding machines. No biggie, just was wondering what I was getting into. What touchup paint is available that would take the heat? What is behind the small plate with the 2 screws? I'm assuming I would:
1) drain oil
2) take off small cover over large stator cover.
3) Replace gasket
4) put her back together.

I just hate opening up a can of worms. I keep thinking if I only left work one min later.... Guess it's a fact of life, nothing stays pretty forever.

Got almost 600 miles on her. Think I'm riding her a bit hard as I'm only at 27 MPG.

Is this what I want?
http://www.colorrite.com/product/yamaha-0098-low-gloss-black-lgb-1866.cfm

Hey Bill, a bgger issue here,, is your shin ok after the boulder whacked you? I took one on the instep a few years ago. This is the exact reason I wear MX boots as riding boots on the street...They are made to deflect sharpnel!

I was once a Mechanic that worked on plastic blowmolding machines. No biggie, just was wondering what I was getting into. What touchup paint is available that would take the heat? What is behind the small plate with the 2 screws? I'm assuming I would:
1) drain oil
2) take off small cover over large stator cover.
3) Replace gasket
4) put her back together.

I just hate opening up a can of worms. I keep thinking if I only left work one min later.... Guess it's a fact of life, nothing stays pretty forever.

Got almost 600 miles on her. Think I'm riding her a bit hard as I'm only at 27 MPG.

Behind the small plate with the 2 screws= A hole about 3-4 inches giving access to the flywheel bolt and timing marks T1 and T2
Them screws are a bitch to break loose also. Good luck you have one shot at it before they round out.

Hey Bill, a bgger issue here,, is your shin ok after the boulder whacked you? I took one on the instep a few years ago. This is the exact reason I wear MX boots as riding boots on the street...They are made to deflect sharpnel!
I must have caught the rock on a strange angle because it only left a small mark on me, I think the Vmax took the hit for me.

Back