Bastages at Suzuki

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jayhawk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like Suzuki is pulling the plug on the B-King. No '09s in the U.S., and the rumor is they're killing it in Europe after '09.

Hell, it might mean the value of the thing will stay relatively high for my '08, but the reality is that what few aftermarket products for it that exist now will dry up, and I don't know what getting parts for the thing in future years will be like. Crap.

Great bike, can't be any happier riding it (wish it was a little lower), but what a disappointment. Took it for a ride this morning, and I'm still grinning.

Now what? Keep it? Trade it for a new Max, don't really want to spend that much money? Trade it for a new 'Busa? Grr...I think I many be too damned old for that. The Max is about as close as I want to come to a cruiser, and it's hard to pick another bike and back up in performance.

I'd say keep, especially if you're happy with it.

Then a few years down the line, you'll have a rare classic that hopefully will have a higher value!

That happened to me on my 1985 Suzuki GS1150E (available two years) and on my 1983 Honda 1100F (only one year). Neither one had any aftermarket support.

I was afraid this would happen since sales were so low and dealers were discounting. It is a shame as it is a great bike. Hope it is not a omen for the Max.

Tom, you could sell it, get a used Max and use the extra cash on some mods:eusa_dance:

If you like it keep it. The reason they are not making it is because they are not selling. My local Suzuki dealer has had one sitting since they first cam out.

Wow, only one year and Suzuki pulls the plug on a great muscle bike, especially at $12,000 to $14,000 - apparently because there not selling well. Does look good for the $18,000 to $22,000 Vmax.

IMO Yamaha has made a mistake by marketing the GEN2 Vmax to a more select group - rather than to it's loyal following - all considering, they would have been better off upgrading/updating the GEN1 Vmax in all the right places and keeping the price inline.

Mike

IMO Yamaha has made a mistake by marketing the GEN2 Vmax to a more select group - rather than to it's loyal following - all considering, they would have been better off upgrading/updating the GEN1 Vmax in all the right places and keeping the price inline.

While I agree with you, I'm pretty sure Yamaha did their homework thru market research and worked out exactly how much you'd be willing to part with in exchange for the most powerful mass-produced muscle bike in existence today!

And I mean c'mon, it IS pure sex! (even if the headlight's totally gay) :rofl_200:

Looks like Suzuki is pulling the plug on the B-King. No '09s in the U.S., and the rumor is they're killing it in Europe after '09.

Hell, it might mean the value of the thing will stay relatively high for my '08, but the reality is that what few aftermarket products for it that exist now will dry up, and I don't know what getting parts for the thing in future years will be like. Crap.

Great bike, can't be any happier riding it (wish it was a little lower), but what a disappointment. Took it for a ride this morning, and I'm still grinning.

Now what? Keep it? Trade it for a new Max, don't really want to spend that much money? Trade it for a new 'Busa? Grr...I think I many be too damned old for that. The Max is about as close as I want to come to a cruiser, and it's hard to pick another bike and back up in performance.

Just my opinion Tom, but you have a bike you enjoy riding, it doesn't have any mechanical or electrical issues and if properly maintained it will last indefinitely. Maybe there won't be an endless supply of mods like there is for bikes that have been in production for many years, but there will always be some available. As for parts, I think bike manufacturers always produce an adequate supply of parts for any bike they produce.

I say hang on to it.

I hear ya, Danny. I love the bike, it's paid for, and after a little discussion on another board, it may be that Suzuki is required to maintain parts for a time, perhaps as long as 10 years to support the bikes they've sold. That makes the whole thing more tolerable.

I was likely pretty close to having installed most of the mods I was considering, though I probably won't do the aftermarket wheels and stuff, now.

I dunno. I'll just play it cool and see what happens.

I hear ya, Danny. I love the bike, it's paid for, and after a little discussion on another board, it may be that Suzuki is required to maintain parts for a time, perhaps as long as 10 years to support the bikes they've sold. That makes the whole thing more tolerable.

I was likely pretty close to having installed most of the mods I was considering, though I probably won't do the aftermarket wheels and stuff, now.

I dunno. I'll just play it cool and see what happens.

Now yer talkin'! Ya can't give up on the ol' "B" now, not after all the crap you've taken from me about getting it! It just wouldn't be right!! :biglaugh:

I bought my Max back in 1985, and (If I remember correctly) Yamaha didn't produce it for one model year (1987 or 1988?).

I didn't even think about being stuck with an orphan, because I was having too damn much fun with the Max. Seeing how things worked out with the bike - I'm glad I kept it, and I'd sincerely advise you to do the same. Bikes as butt ugly as VMax or BKing are classics - or WILL be. You're gonna kick yourself someday if you sell it.

YES! I said my VMax is butt ugly. I consider that part of its charm. Besides it's so fast, most people don't get a long enough look at it to realise it's butt ugly!

As long as we are talking about orphans: I drive a Daewoo car. I fully expect to get $250K for it some day at one of those classic car auctions that are always on TV...... (not really)

While I agree with you, I'm pretty sure Yamaha did their homework thru market research and worked out exactly how much you'd be willing to part with in exchange for the most powerful mass-produced muscle bike in existence today!

And I mean c'mon, it IS pure sex! (even if the headlight's totally gay) :rofl_200:
everybody in the world filled out that online market research survey for the new max...no way in hell people filled it out for higher than 12 13 thousand ... the bking was was in the making for as many years as the new max.....would not surprise me if the max is dropped also in a year or two ..... economy is in the shitter

would not surprise me if the max is dropped also in a year or two ..... economy is in the shitter

very VERY true...

Just look at the price of an iPhone as an example! I know, doesn't make anyone who's put their deposit down feel any better :bang head: but at least they get the exclusivity of having it FIRST.

And that's gotta be worth something.. ($3-5k anyone?) :damn angry:

very VERY true...

Just look at the price of an iPhone as an example! I know, doesn't make anyone who's put their deposit down feel any better :bang head: but at least they get the exclusivity of having it FIRST.

And that's gotta be worth something.. ($3-5k anyone?) :damn angry:
still hoping to get on a new 06 07 max soon..once things get squared away with ins..new bikes now a days have no soul no class .. they all look the same..and the ones that look different dont sell ........still remember the feeling of riding a 100 hp metric bike.....felt so scary and strong....being away from riding for a few months brought my standards back in check..........dont need the biggest baddest fastest bike in the world....100 hp bike has enough pull in the street to keep me honest and a smile on my face...

...would not surprise me if the max is dropped also in a year or two ..... economy is in the shitter

A depressing thought, but quite possible. I wonder how many of the bikes already allocated are simply to dealers for their stock? Could be a long, cold, winter.

My Dealership that I got my '07 thru, told me that they couldn't get one for dealer stock. They couldn't get one at all, UNLESS someone ordered one and paid a $1000 deposit. And that was from the highest volume Yamaha dealer in my state!

Back