Battery or charging system?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firefly

Reaction score
Lately I am noticing a symptom like a weak battery, the bike starts from the first crank but sounds weak, I measured the voltage with ignition off and it is 12 volts, did not try with ignition on yet.
Battery is Odyssey 680 only one year old :(.
what diagnostic tests should I do? to check if it is the battery or charging system?
Thanks

Ibrahim, batter should read around 12.8 - 13.0 volts when the motor's off. Troubleshoot your charging system and clean your frame, engine and R/R grounds. Use this to troubleshoot your charging system:
http://www.electrosport.com/Images/...63F55B=0&bcsi_scan_filename=fault_finding.pdf

Most likely it's a dirty connector. Do the usual soldering fixes. 3 white wires from stator to R/R, R/R connector from red wire, crimp near battery, and the main fuse connector. Also, solder the 3 wires from your main key switch. I have found that really helps, especially for the lighting system.

Also check the voltage when the motor is running, that would be a better way to check if you charging system is working.

What should the voltage be with motor running at idle?

Buster Hymen said:
Also check the voltage when the motor is running, that would be a better way to check if you charging system is working.

I haven't checked mine in awhile but somewhere from 13.5 to 13.8 is good.

I'll have to check it again and see what #s I'll get, I have a constant drain from the clock but it was never a problem, I never park the bike for a week but lately I've been doing short trips and that too was never a problem. I cleaned the RR contact a few months back, but haven't done the fixes you mentioned yet.

maleko89 said:
I haven't checked mine in awhile but somewhere from 13.5 to 13.8 is good.

EFImax said:
Hav a look here to what I have done, never a flat battery again..
http://imageevent.com/jkvmax

- Johan

That is a nice R/R you've installed and the results are great. You've also have a great website with some of the mods you have on it, especially the EFI. I'd like to "steal" some of your picture/write up and use them here, if it's OK.

I noticed tho that you have individual air filters....what about if you have a drop in.....can it still be mounted there?

Re: Battery or charging system? BUSTER....

Santa is DEAD???? WAAAAAAA....thanx for spoiling it for me....lol

If your having battery problems - I would check the battery connections again, and do this crimp spliced wire solder fix. It was a bit of an issue for many Max owners.

http://vmax.lvlhead.com/tips/splice.htm

If your still having problems after the fix and taking it out on a few good runs. I'd replace the battery myself....Then if your still having an issue I then look further into it.

Good luck with it. Hope this helps, atleast with a new battery.

Back