Bearing Race Removal w/ Heat Gun-HOW?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elimax

Reaction score
Hi all:

I'm about to have in my possession a good heat gun (specifically, a Master Appliance HG501A Master Heat Gun that TURBOVMAX recommended.)

Any instructions from y'all regarding the removal of my bottom steering head bearing race with this tool?

Thanks very much!

Elimax

Really? No one knows how? I really wanna get that bearing race out!

Thanks.

Elimax

When I changed mine out I used a dremel with a cut off wheel to cut the race into a couple of pieces. Not too sure a heat gun will get it hot enough to drop out the race.

Really? No one knows how? I really wanna get that bearing race out!

Thanks.

Elimax

I've never used a heat gun, I've always used the weld a bead technique. I think you may in be in new territory by using a heat gun so you will be pioneering the technique to make it work. Keep us up to date on how it works.

I also used the Dremel cutting technique and made 2 cuts to get it out.

No idea if a heat gun could do it. I guess a freeze gun may be better?

I'm with G - heat expands a bearing race. Works great to remove an externally mounted race (such as a pinion bearing) , but I don't know how it will help remove an internal race. What if you take a can of freon, punch a nail hole in it, deep freeze the race & quickly shatter it with a hammer & chisel ? That's how car thieves disable the lock cylinders of "The Club" steering wheel lock. (umm, so I've been told...)

Latest posts

Back