Best 4-2 exhaust system

Discussion in '2nd Gen - the new VMax' started by Igoryane, May 10, 2019.

Help Support VMAX Motorcycle Forum by donating:

1. May 10, 2019 #1

Igoryane

Igoryane

Igoryane

Hello everyone.
    I've got 2013 stock Vmax and I'd like to get rid of the cat, replace exhaust and get a flash from Tim.
    My friend had the 4-2-1 Ufo Thundermax installed and I think it sounded amazing, but it might be too loud for the city.

I guess, options are:
    1. Hindle (mid pipe and slip ons)
    I've read somewhere about Hindle mid pipe quality issues (problem with welds ?). I wonder if that's true?
    Should i consider their full 4-2-1 system? Would be a similar cost as 2 slip ons and midpipe.

2. Akrapovic (mid pipe + slip ons)
    They seem like high quality, but pricey.

3. maybe Delkevic slip on + Akrapovic mid pipe?

I like V&H slipons, but they're discontinued now.
    I've seen Vmax with VooDoo, but i think they're too loud and i am not a big fan of the looks.

What is the best choice in terms of Sound/Performance?
    It's really hard to judge about the sound quality from youtube videos maybe someone had experience with both Hindle and Akrapovic?
    I know Tim doesn't have a flash for Delkevic, but i think these look like good quality slip ons.

Also, second question - what else do i need to install?
    Do I need AIS system plugs? Should I do the air intake mod? What do I do with O2 sensor?

2. May 10, 2019 #2

one2dmax

one2dmax

one2dmax

I've got Hindle options as well as Voodoo options. The Hindle is the only full system available. We've also got a few non-Hindle muffler options. The full system is the best for getting the most power out of it.

3. May 12, 2019 #3

9SecVmax

9SecVmax

9SecVmax

Depends how much you are willing to spend. Ive installed Hindle 4-2, 4-2-1 systems more than twice each. Sean is right. Hindle 4-2-1, you will get the most HP and Torque. The 4-2 makes a little less. Both systems do the job. However, Hindle's quality is hit or miss. Yes, Ive had (2) 4-2-1 that need to be re-welded. Y's leaked in the center. When the head pipes heat up, they look like sh!t. Both times, I had them Ceramic coated. I bought ALL of my systems from Tim. What's nice about the Hindle, is that you can play with other manufacturers mufflers. Still, I had a custom stealth titanium muffler built by Steve at Hindle Canada to get my 2016 as quiet as possible. I do NOT like any loud obnoxious bikes. I just dyno'd. I took the quiet muffler off and guess how much HP I gained? .89. Ill retype it again. .89. NOT even 1 HP. So why the sh!t would you want a loud pipe?

Akropovic is buy far the BEST quality I have ever seen. Arrow is right there with them. Ok, Tsukigi is VERY nice to. Not sure if Arrow is making them for the Vmax. I just installed a 4-2 Hindle on a friends bike last night. 4.5 hours later, I finally got it to fit. So careful not to scratch his bike. I was freakin so pissed. They welded it wrong. My 09, I bought one of the first Akropovic. After removing the OEM system, I put it on in 30 minutes. But it 2K.

Itgoes likes this.
  4. May 12, 2019 #4

Itgoes

Itgoes

Itgoes

Well-Known Member Supporting Member

+1 on all of that.

I'd also add that the V&H mufflers will most likely develop cracks over time, it's happened to a lot of owners. I mention that because you can still find systems popping up here and there but I would avoid them.

To me the Delkevic systems https://delkevic.com/motorcycles/yamaha/2009-models/v-max-1700/ seems to be a clear winner on price and muffler choice. I have no knowledge of their long time durability, but have not heard of any fitment problems.

As far as performance they are all very close when you talk about peak HP. I think the Akrapovic has a slight edge. The different pipes do have slightly different power characteristics, for example the X-Pipe (4-1-2) has a little better low end TQ.

To me though any system that fits well would be on my list if I were currently looking. Then it would come down to looks and sound. If I wanted maximum performance then the only choice would be the Hindle 4-2-1.

5. May 14, 2019 #5

Igoryane

Igoryane

Igoryane

Thanks for all the replies guys.
    I was also in touch with Tim Nash with the same question, i'll quote him here:
    It's sad that Hindle pipes are of a low quality.
    Is there an option of installing Akro mid pipe and Hindle muffler or they will not work together?
    Another option is to get a mid pipe installed and keep stock mufflers - any experience with that?

I looked at Delkevic again and some of them are actually including the mid pipe as well!
    https://delkevic.com/mini-8-carbon-fiber-round-muffler-to-fit-v-max-1700-2009-2019/

Seriously considering their system now. The sound is more of Akro system though: