Better lighting

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calimus

Reaction score
That looks sharp, do you think it'll reflect more light than stock? My buddy was thinking of getting this exact same thing....I'll check with him to see if he went through with it and let you know. How ya feeling?

It should reflect more light as there is no pattern in the glass to diffuse it. That is pretty much the problem with the stock Vmax headlight. All the ridges in the glass diffuse at least half of the usable light that the bulb is producing.

Deffinitly see if you buddy tried this out. I'm so tired of having to have my wife run ahead a night because her 650Sv throws out enough light that we can both see where we are going.

Oh, and I'm feeling much better today, thanks for asking. 4 days of feeling like something chewed me up and shit me out has not been fun at all. Now I'm all set to replace the front tire, get some better light and get my ass on the Max rather then just stare at it in the garage.:clapping:

I talked to my friend, he said he got something similar but it's too big to fit into the stock bucket. Maybe email him and see how deep the bucket has to be to mount one of these.

There are also direct fit replacement bulbs (not road legal but who cares?) that have a 60/100watt and also a 55/90watt rating instead of the stock 55/60watt rating that is legal. I ran these before going to the Cybermax and was pretty pleased.

The first thing I would do is the "double relay mod" it will make a big difference. If you go to a higher wattage bulb you will have to do it because of excessive voltage drop due to the 16guage wire used on the stock setup.

I hadn't given much thought about the depth, but thats a damn good point, I'll have to check into that.

As far as the watt's go, I've already relayed and have a "offroad" 90/100w bulb in there and while it does well close the glass pattern still kills the light from really reaching out. I'm prollie a bit spoiled by the fathers VTX and my wifes Sv. They both have headlights that provide a great distance view.

I may just look back into getting a 7" Sv hedalight and making some mounts for it.

Anyone tried an HID kit on the stock headlight yet? I'm finding them around for fair prices. I figured hook them up with a relay and see what I get. Any thoughts or ideas?

Firefly bought a HID setup but not sure where he is with it. I haven't heard from him in almost 3 months.

Hrm, I might just have to look into it then. Worst case it doesn't help and I'll buy another one and put them in my car.:punk:

I don't know how relevant this is but;

Neon lighting uses an inverter to turn 12volt D.C. in to 60-100 volts AC to run a neon bulb. I used it on my max a long time ago and it threw a lot of interference into my TCI and made the bike run like crap.

HID lighting uses the same setup to create around 160 volts AC to run the bulb. I have one of these in the garage off of my Wifes 350Z from when she wrecked it and have been also thinking about some way to use it.

In any case I think you would need some kind of shielding to stop the unit from interfering with the ignition or is it just that the Max isn't very well shielded because this kind of stuff was not around way back when?

It's a good question, but sheilding wouldn't be all that difficult. The one's I've been looking at appear sheilded, but who knows really. Might just have to give it a try and find out.:ummm:

Back