bike cant start, something missing?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
it ran perfect, but leaked a bit (very little) from the left crankcase, so i decided to replace the gasket. i drained the oil and took off the crankcase cover, and the starter idle gears fell out. installed the new gaskets, checked my service manual to make sure i got the gears back right, bolted up, bike wont start. checked gears again, seem fine -still wont start. am i missing something? do i have to reset something, or maybe some small part got lost in the process?

it ran perfect, but leaked a bit (very little) from the left crankcase, so i decided to replace the gasket. i drained the oil and took off the crankcase cover, and the starter idle gears fell out. installed the new gaskets, checked my service manual to make sure i got the gears back right, bolted up, bike wont start. checked gears again, seem fine -still wont start. am i missing something? do i have to reset something, or maybe some small part got lost in the process?

By won't start yo mean won't turn over or won't fire.....

there are 3 gears and 2 pins. What does it make for noise?

Sean

Did ya unplug the pickup coils when ya took the cover off? Sounds like you have no signal from them. Check your wiring from the left cover.

it fires like normal, engine just wont start. there's fuel in the carbs, good fuel pump, no clogs. just keeps spinning. i counted 3 gears when i put it in, the smallest that sits atop the left gear i thought might have been backwards, but it only fits in one way.

if the pickup coils are at the bottom right, i did not unplug them, but just pulled the cover off and let it hang with the wires on.

i think it's a gear prob, bc the rear wheel rolls in neutral, but not in 1st, even with the clutch pulled.
im tempted to do a running start, but afraid that something very sad will happen to those starter gears

If the engine turns over but no spark, I would say that you pinched the pick up coil wire(s) when you put the stator or rear gear cover and it's grounding out.

Mike

If the engine turns over but no spark, I would say that you pinched the pick up coil wire(s) when you put the stator or rear gear cover and it's grounding out.

Mike

+1, or you could have easily exposed some wire and put it to ground by letting the cover hang by them.

if the pickup coils are at the bottom right, i did not unplug them, but just pulled the cover off and let it hang with the wires on.

i think it's a gear prob, bc the rear wheel rolls in neutral, but not in 1st, even with the clutch pulled.
im tempted to do a running start, but afraid that something very sad will happen to those starter gears

thats normal when these bikes are cold, don't base anything off of that yet.

don't try bump starting it unless u know the battery is shot.

pull the plugs, and crank the starter, ground them out, are you getting spark? i agree with the others tho, check ur connections.

Back