Bottle in swingarm?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srk468

Reaction score
Hi guys this winter I'm going to extend and notch my swingarm 3" and I was just wondering if any of you ever built a bottle mount into your swingarm? I don't really want to mount it to the front frame or in the rear like I've seen before and by measuring when I extend it there "should" be room in there for it, building the brace might get a little tricky and I figured I'd study up on it here beforehand. The bottle I'm going to use is in the pic, it doesn't have a siphon tube so I was going to mount it upside-down between the tire and the gas tank. Any advice is welcome!

Attachments

• IMAG0067.jpg
    IMAG0067.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 36
Know that this has been done in the past. I looked at doing it when I did my chain drive conversion, but decided I like seeing the bottles (air shifter and NOS) hanging off the side.

Know that this has been done in the past. I looked at doing it when I did my chain drive conversion, but decided I like seeing the bottles (air shifter and NOS) hanging off the side.

Yea I have my air bottle mounted to the shaft horizontally right now but I'm ditching that when I do the swingarm cause I'm making the swingarm the air tank. I just like to keep the lines of the bike clean with minimal clutter is all, I'm not doing this to try to hide it cause it's not like you wont be able to see the fogger nozzles in the intake! LOL

I was discussing this with someone here in the past but dont recall where and when :ummm:

Most defo you need some reinforcment to the swingarm walls - let say min 4-5mm thick. I would use right side and cross section - and btw you can increase the diameter of cross section pipe.

I was discussing this with someone here in the past but dont recall where and when :ummm:

Most defo you need some reinforcment to the swingarm walls - let say min 4-5mm thick. I would use right side and cross section - and btw you can increase the diameter of cross section pipe.

Thanks Prez, I think I've got a good idea about the brace and mount in my head right now but have to wait till I tear into it to really see, I'm thinking I'll extend and notch it first test fitting the rim & tire and once I'm happy with it and have everything tacked up good I'll measure where the front of the tire is for reference then take the wheel & tire off and weld in a new cross brace just in front of the tire (maybe 1/2" cause I'm not running a slick so it won't grow in the top end) then probably few temporary braces toward the back and then take the factory front cross brace out cause it will be right in the way. Then I'll work on mounting the bottle and once I'm happy with it I'll build another cross brace in the front but I'll probably use smaller thicker wall tubing. Then I'll do the under hung brace that goes from the back of the shaft side to the back of the brake side. Gonna be alot of test fitting but I'm sure I can do it, hell I back-halved my 68 Cutlass pretty much by myself so I'm not new to chassis work but this is just much smaller scale.

The bottle you have selected is too long. I'd get the shorter 2lb bottle which is fatter but I think can be easily mounted in there. You'll have to cut off the cross over tube and relocate it backwards. We typically tie into the stock tube location but it can be moved backwards to get you more room for your bottle.

Sean

The bottle you have selected is too long. I'd get the shorter 2lb bottle which is fatter but I think can be easily mounted in there. You'll have to cut off the cross over tube and relocate it backwards. We typically tie into the stock tube location but it can be moved backwards to get you more room for your bottle.

Sean

I did quite a but of measuring Sean and I'm pretty sure it will fit, problem isn't so much length but diameter cause even using smaller tube it will be fairly tight in there but the bottle is only 14 1/2" long from base to valve and I've got 15 1/2" in there easily depending how low I hang the valve. It will be a little tricky but I'm pretty sure I have it mostly figured out already, I hope.... LOL

Back