Bouncy front wheel

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kozy

Reaction score
I just recently replaced my front stock suspension with some Progressives. Before this was done, my front wheel would bounce and it was worse as speed increased. After the suspension upgrade, it still happens but isn't as bad as before. I really don't notice it until I hit highway speeds.

My first thought is a tire out of balance. Could there be other culprits here though?

Assuming that you have correct damping in the forks then that is the most likely cause.
Also check that the tyre is sated evenly on the rim. Check by lifting the front end and spinning the wheel. Look for any run-out.

Air to much maybe in the forks, to much oil in them, When i change my springs I had little to much air and oil, I just lightly tap the air valve on the lift top tube a few times as I ride and it smooth out for me.

I don't run any air in the forks so that's not the issue. And this problem exists both before as well as after the spring change so too much oil couldn't be the culprit. Tire pressure was low when I did the springs and I filled it up then also. I'll have to jack it up and spin the tire to check that out this weekend.

Check the tire molded circumferential line just-above the tire/wheel rim to see that the tire is correctly-seated when you are checking for runout. It should be very obvious if the tire isn't properly-seated.

My bike runs better w/air pressure in the forks, less chance of bottoming-out.

First thing I'd check is run out and roundness, elevate the front wheel, remove the brake calipers and make a home grown dial indicator by taping pencils on the forks close to the tire.

You may be able to check balance this way also if your bearings are free enough.

It could be a bent rim too.

Check the tire molded circumferential line just-above the tire/wheel rim to see that the tire is correctly-seated when you are checking for runout. It should be very obvious if the tire isn't properly-seated.

My bike runs better w/air pressure in the forks, less chance of bottoming-out.

This is a good idea too....I had a Shinko that would NOT seat properly no matter what I did....think it was a tire casting flaw actually.

I also have a Shinko on the front. It has been perfect for the most part. I remember it being a smooth ride after it was installed but I don't know if it was balanced then or not.

Run Balancing beads. $3.40 for 2 ounces... that will eliminate an out of balance condition.

http://www.tirebalancebeads.com

I'll have to give that a shot! Definitely cheaper than taking it to a dealer to get the tire balanced.

I also have a Shinko on the front. It has been perfect for the most part. I remember it being a smooth ride after it was installed but I don't know if it was balanced then or not.

I'll have to give that a shot! Definitely cheaper than taking it to a dealer to get the tire balanced.

Ive run the dyna beads in both tires with great success.

I balance my own, the bearings, shaft and cones come in a set, got mine on fleabay for I think $49.....some 1/4 oz. stick on weights and you have a perfectly balanced tire every time.

This is an early version, a couple jack stands work good too.

Attachments

• 100_1034.jpg
    100_1034.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 26
I balance my own, the bearings, shaft and cones come in a set, got mine on fleabay for I think $49.....some 1/4 oz. stick on weights and you have a perfectly balanced tire every time.

This is an early version, a couple jack stands work good too.

I was doing the same thing until I found out about the dyna beads.

I had a rear wheel hop when I 1st got my vmax. I found that it was I out of balance. This is what I use to fix the problem I forget about this. I went through some of my vmax pics. This may not be your case though... on the front.

Attachments

• vmax tire balance.jpg
    vmax tire balance.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 36
  • vmax wheel balance.jpg
    vmax wheel balance.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 35
  • vmax wheel balance 1.jpg
    vmax wheel balance 1.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 35
I had a rear wheel hop when I 1st got my vmax. I found that it was I out of balance. This is what I use to fix the problem I forget about this. I went through some of my vmax pics. This may not be your case though... on the front.

Yup, same exact thing I use....works great!

Did the Gen II tires last fall....130mph, smooth as can be!

I was a little shaky but the bike was fine! :rofl_200:

Latest posts

Back