Brake light suggestions

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbod44

Reaction score
Hi there. Picked up a 93 VMax a month or so ago and after getting the carbs and fork seals done ive been riding it and checking out different things on it and noticed the stock brake light has been removed and the upper light has been made the brake light, but not a taillight. they wired the turn signals up as the taillights but they are amber colored, not red. Question is, has anyone found a light that fits in that upper area that has both tail and stop functions. I found an oval light that would be used on a truck or trailer, but its 6.5" long and a little too wide for the spot. light on there now is about 5 inches. Thanks

Attachments

• 60-LED_cateye-tail-light.jpg
    60-LED_cateye-tail-light.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 27
  • 60-LED-Cat-Eye-Running-1.jpg
    60-LED-Cat-Eye-Running-1.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 60-LED-cateye-brake-light.jpg
    60-LED-cateye-brake-light.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
If your existing light is LED you can add a dual element circuit so it will function as both running and brake lights.

http://chromeglow.com/products/wiring-controls/turn-signal-circuits/dual-element-circuits/

This is just one option. There are plenty of others.

A few guys have mentioned a LED light from Wal Mart that fits the reflector area perfectly but I believe it's a single element also.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Thats a cool, idea. Thanks. Will have to get that ordered.

I bought mine from radiantz. It was around $8. Works great on my home made tail light.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

^ That sounds like it just does Exactly what adding a 100 ohm resistor did for my LED tail light.

I still have the stock brake light (although have LED bulbs in it). For more visibility, converted the reflector behind the seat to a 3rd brake light.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vmax-Yamaha...hash=item1eb35359a1:m:msSPrSumxOllEvFHpqJsSoA

this looks like what the previous owner installed. looks like im going to get that dual element unit and try that. thanks

the original brake light and plate holder has been cut so if i were to go that way id have to fab something up

Our light setup

Attachments

• IMG_20140508_163816_520.jpg
    IMG_20140508_163816_520.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20140521_123702_338.jpg
    IMG_20140521_123702_338.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 41
i finally installed the wire from chromeglow.com to make it a tail and stop light and it works great. took about 5 mins to install, except when i rode it about 20 miles and then went to leave later that night i noticed it wasnt working. i used bullet connector similar to stock to plug into the stock wiring and it had pulled out. luckily thats all it was and its back to working again. thanks for the help

Add postage. The light bar only is easy and small for about $3 plus you don't send anything back. The assembly takes a bigger package for $7 AND you need to send the old one back.

Latest posts

Back