Brass plugs on carbs leaking...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mud_shark86

Reaction score
The other day I had the air box off to try and get the carbs down in the boots better. One boot is always wet. After a bit I got it a little better but the carbs still don't want to sit down well. If I get 3 in well and try to get the 4th, the opposite corner pops out. After messing with it I got it as good as I thought I would. While I had the air box off I turned the key on and gas started bubbling around 3 of the 4 brass plugs on the top of the carbs. What are these? They're right where the fuel enters the carbs..

For some reason I had the brain wave to see if I could hit them down and see if they would stop leaking. I did move them about 1/16" down and they did stop leaking. Then I had the after thought...maybe I shouldn't have did that.

If anyway could tell me what these plugs are and whats underneith of them I could get some new ones or replace an o-ring or something under them.

Thanks!!

Ok...so it didn't hurt anything by me pushing the plugs down a bit?

You mean you need to remove the plugs if you want to replace the needle and seat? jeeez...

Thanks for the reply!

the carbs not sitting down correctly, sounds like when it was out the were tightened up crooked, might have to loosen the screws that hold them all together and then on a level surface snug them all up. does the hole assembly sit flat on a table? if so maybe check the boots on the intake.

I've never had the carbs out. I don't have a sync tool and thats why. They should come out and be cleaned, floats checked ect but im leary of it. There's lots of info on here how to do it but there's a lot of junk that needs to come off before the carbs even come out. Thats what scares me.

I guess I'll get my self a carb sync tool and take them out some rainy day (or week here...its beein raining for a month). I would say the carbs are crooked as well...

I've never had the carbs out. I don't have a sync tool and thats why. They should come out and be cleaned, floats checked ect but im leary of it. There's lots of info on here how to do it but there's a lot of junk that needs to come off before the carbs even come out. Thats what scares me.

I guess I'll get my self a carb sync tool and take them out some rainy day (or week here...its beein raining for a month). I would say the carbs are crooked as well...

Not a whole lot of junk. Just loosen 4 clamps on top of the carbs, pull the airbox. then loosen 4 clamps undernieth the carbs and the throttle cable then pop them off.

Its easy to not have them sit right, I've made the mistake several times not seating them. Now it's one of the things I look at before buttoning things up. You may have had a clamp come loose and the carbs move around on you. But, to make sure they're square, I'd put them on a flat surface to ses if they do sit evenly.

I set a rubber mallet on top of each carb and hit the rubber mallet with a boll peen hammer to get them seated

Back