Broke swingarm in half!!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DAMN!!!! Glad you OK. That had to cause a BAD alignment issue. It's a wonder the rear didn't try to pass the front.

But to be honest I have to give my hat off to all the special ladies that ride on the back of a motorcycle with us!! Guys I am telling you, better do something special for those that ride on the back with you, its not all that, they do it for YOU!!!!

I agree with that. If the only seat on a motorcycle was the back seat, I would NOT be a bike rider.

The driveshaft is what saved me from going all Catty Whompas,, (is that even a word:ummm:) Anyways if the driveshaft would have broke than the bike would have taken an uncontrollable sharp left turn, which would have been uncoming traffic, scary thought hahn?

To be honest guys the bike is still sitting where I dumped it when we unloaded it. I think I had about enough of the VMAX, its getting to be expensive and lots of time fixing shit to run what? High 10's in the 1/4
I think this is a signal for me to fix it and sell it, before something else takes a shit and hurts me in the process.
Either I need to slow down or buy a motorcycle that can hold up to my riding habits.
Its been a fun ride over the 8 yrs of riding it. I have enjoyed modifying it, I have enjoyed making people say "Holy Shit" at the dragstrip. But I believe my time has come to fix and sell and look for another motorcycle to take up space in my garage and give my tools, knuckles and knees a chance to rest.

The driveshaft is what saved me from going all Catty Whompas,, (is that even a word:ummm:) Anyways if the driveshaft would have broke than the bike would have taken an uncontrollable sharp left turn, which would have been uncoming traffic, scary thought hahn?

To be honest guys the bike is still sitting where I dumped it when we unloaded it. I think I had about enough of the VMAX, its getting to be expensive and lots of time fixing shit to run what? High 10's in the 1/4
I think this is a signal for me to fix it and sell it, before something else takes a shit and hurts me in the process.
Either I need to slow down or buy a motorcycle that can hold up to my riding habits.
Its been a fun ride over the 8 yrs of riding it. I have enjoyed modifying it, I have enjoyed making people say "Holy Shit" at the dragstrip. But I believe my time has come to fix and sell and look for another motorcycle to take up space in my garage and give my tools, knuckles and knees a chance to rest.

you will be a stocker soon :biglaugh: sounds like its time for a change when you can buy a stock street with 150 160 170 180 hp thats dependable ....all thats left to do is ride it

Amen to that. The next bike I buy will stay stock! Even a quiet exhaust sounds great! I think all the times I have been chased and have gotten out of there view for a while and all of a sudden they are back in view was due to the loud exhaust.
I was actually thinking of 2 exhaust cans with a control valve. When I want it loud the exhaust would be routed through the Kerker, when I wanted it to be tamer I would switch the butterfly to the quiet muffle. They use them on Street Drag Cars, rather than unbolting the pipe from the rear of the header they installed a y piece with a controllable butterfly to either route the exhuast through the muffler or out open flow. Neat idea hahn?

Amen to that. The next bike I buy will stay stock! Even a quiet exhaust sounds great! I think all the times I have been chased and have gotten out of there view for a while and all of a sudden they are back in view was due to the loud exhaust.
I was actually thinking of 2 exhaust cans with a control valve. When I want it loud the exhaust would be routed through the Kerker, when I wanted it to be tamer I would switch the butterfly to the quiet muffle. They use them on Street Drag Cars, rather than unbolting the pipe from the rear of the header they installed a y piece with a controllable butterfly to either route the exhuast through the muffler or out open flow. Neat idea hahn?

seen one on a 109 the butterfly thing ...one spring would hole it open or closed went to the same exhaust .... cant remember the details of how it changed the flow..he also told me he owned a max before said the 109 was much faster ,,,havent seen him since..nor did he want to prove it to me

LY, Amazing testament as to the torque and power these things are capable of delivering!... Real happy it all turned out ok...and that you were not hurt as well...

If you're serious about selling it, hope you don't quit the forum...I very much enjoy reading your posts, and the on-going banter between you and EssEssOneOneThree...makes my day a lot of times!

Just a thought, but try fixing it, and then try riding it somewhat more in a normal fashion... If you don't beat on the poor thing so hard so often, maybe it'll quit breaking?! I'm just sayin'.....

"But to be honest I have to give my hat off to all the special ladies that ride on the back of a motorcycle with us!! Guys I am telling you, better do something special for those that ride on the back with you, its not all that, they do it for YOU!!!!"

In my case, it's trying to get out of the garage on any given weekend, without Aunt Phloozie on the P-Pad... she really loves riding back there, and gets her nose WAY out of joint if she can't go.... Hence I've got one of "Sean's Super Special Ass Cushions" on order... and waiting (as patiently as I can) for him to git 'er done. But that'll probably make her even worse in the longrun!

Take care Stretch...and ride safe!

Philthy

LY, Amazing testament as to the torque and power these things are capable of delivering!... Real happy it all turned out ok...and that you were not hurt as well...

If you're serious about selling it, hope you don't quit the forum...I very much enjoy reading your posts, and the on-going banter between you and EssEssOneOneThree...makes my day a lot of times!

Just a thought, but try fixing it, and then try riding it somewhat more in a normal fashion... If you don't beat on the poor thing so hard so often, maybe it'll quit breaking?! I'm just sayin'.....

"But to be honest I have to give my hat off to all the special ladies that ride on the back of a motorcycle with us!! Guys I am telling you, better do something special for those that ride on the back with you, its not all that, they do it for YOU!!!!"

In my case, it's trying to get out of the garage on any given weekend, without Aunt Phloozie on the P-Pad... she really loves riding back there, and gets her nose WAY out of joint if she can't go.... Hence I've got one of "Sean's Super Special Ass Cushions" on order... and waiting (as patiently as I can) for him to git 'er done. But that'll probably make her even worse in the longrun!

Take care Stretch...and ride safe!

Philthy

UncleP
I am glad you understand my sense of humor and dont take it as sarcasm.
I enjoy this site also and MOST of the members.
I ride a motorcycle for an adrealine rush. That is the only purpose I jump on the VMAX. I dont ride it to work, nor just out for a Sunday cruise. Racing is in my blood like any addiction such as gambling, people that are gamblers have to bet they just cant watch a sports game.
There have been many of times I got out on my VMAX and have turned around the first 5 miles due to catching myself thinking of something else.
Its awesome that you have you found your other half in life to complete you that enjoys motorccycle riding as much as you.. :clapping:
Ride Safe and enjoy Mr and Mrs P.:eusa_dance:

Amen to that. The next bike I buy will stay stock!?

Ain't NO way!!!!!!!!!

Couldn't do it if you tried, wouldn't matter if it had 300hp and handled like a Grand Prix bike...

I don't think any of us have it in us to leave anything stock...

'Cept for S&S o' course:rofl_200:

To answer some question about the thickness of the swingarm, check my user mods post pcitures, which could be better...

But the wall thickness of the swingarm is no more than 12 guage at most I think,a little more than 1/16" and less than 1/8" by far........

After seeing how Lankey destroyed his driveshaft tube I think that bracing the swingarm is a must, especially considering how much the bracing improved the handling on my bike....it DOES flex....

To answer some question about the thickness of the swingarm, check my user mods post pcitures, which could be better...

But the wall thickness of the swingarm is no more than 12 guage at most I think,a little more than 1/16" and less than 1/8" by far........

After seeing how Lankey destroyed his driveshaft tube I think that bracing the swingarm is a must, especially considering how much the bracing improved the handling on my bike....it DOES flex....

I have felt flexing on hard launches, hard high speed turns with bumps and wheelies just wasnt sure if it was the frame, swingarm, or bias ply tires or all of the above.
I think I am going to go back with a stock length swingarm and have it braced by local builder here in Nashville, the guy can lay some real purty professinal beads.
I have steered away from the 3 in over swingarm due to traction problems already on the street on hard launches unless I am on a fresh tire. The 3 in over will cause it to spin more, the onlyway 3in over would benifit is on a slick at the dragstrip, but I am already holeshotting 1.55 6o ft's
Looking for a stock swingarm for no more than 100.00 and spend another hundred on bracing with some chrome moly tubing and powder coat it in silver.
Next rear setup will be an OEM Swingarm engineering some braces to it with a stock OEM driveshaft.

Yankee you have to forget all about riding scooters. If you ride them like you ride a V-max they will be like disposable cameras. - couple of good shots then trash. :rofl_200:

I am actually thinking about putting a delay box with a pneumatic cylinder for the brake and bracket race it. You can bet I will make atleast 3 passes down the track on it. If it runs consistent it may pay for itself quicker

Is this the same swingarm you altered to fit the width of your slick?

I remember several posts ago you talking about notching your swing arm to clear the cross section of your slick and leaving your driveshaft exposed.

Just on VMOA and seen otec specialties is clearancing a bunch of parts. They have a billet swingarm for 1500.00 regularilly 2100.00. A lot of money but a sweet looking piece.

Donn, Glad that you weren't hurt. Braceing the swingarm is probably a must if your going to beat on it most of the time.I braced mine when I did the frame off a few years ago.The swingarm is definately not a heavy duty item.I think that you should get frame braces too.

I have felt flexing on hard launches, hard high speed turns with bumps and wheelies just wasnt sure if it was the frame, swingarm, or bias ply tires or all of the above.
I think I am going to go back with a stock length swingarm and have it braced by local builder here in Nashville, the guy can lay some real purty professinal beads.
I have steered away from the 3 in over swingarm due to traction problems already on the street on hard launches unless I am on a fresh tire. The 3 in over will cause it to spin more, the onlyway 3in over would benifit is on a slick at the dragstrip, but I am already holeshotting 1.55 6o ft's
Looking for a stock swingarm for no more than 100.00 and spend another hundred on bracing with some chrome moly tubing and powder coat it in silver.
Next rear setup will be an OEM Swingarm engineering some braces to it with a stock OEM driveshaft.
i told you OEM is the way to go hope your on the road soon

Is this the same swingarm you altered to fit the width of your slick?

I remember several posts ago you talking about notching your swing arm to clear the cross section of your slick and leaving your driveshaft exposed.

REALLY????????:ummm:

Lankey? Is this true?:confused2:

Did you realy notch the swingarm and left it open???:rofl_200:

If this is true no wonder it broke, if it's not true then nevermind.....:biglaugh:

A hole left in the swingarm? Wow that's kinda brave... would make more sense why it broke like that and nobody had seen it before.

Damn Lankee you are even luckier than we thought

Frank

Back