Broke swingarm in half!!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lankeeyankee

Reaction score
:confused2:Yes, my swingarm broke completly in half on the left side.

Well I installed my new Shinko tire last weekend and broke the tire in.
Went riding over the weekend with my buddy on his ZRX1200. Well I was taking advantage of the tire and pulling wheelies starting at 20MPH sliding the clutch (when normally would break the tire loose) and riding it out to 65MPH.

Well we were up in KY about 75 miles from my house and my buddy motioned to turn around. So I made a U-turn and I was on some new fresh black top and figured I would lay a nice burnout on the virgin pavement. Well I wound her up and let the clutch fly she spun just a lil and it hooked pulling the front end up, when I went to hit 2nd gear I heard BAMN CRASH CLANG!!! WTF??:ummm: Lost all power and pulled the clutch in as I coasted off to the shoulder... MY buddy looked back and i was like :ummm: whats wrong
I figured I snapped another driveshaft or worse thought was blew 2nd gear out. Buddy comes cruising up and is like try another gear. I started it up and bumped it to 3rd let the clutch out CLANG CLANG BAMM BAMMM CRUNCH CRUNCH:ummm: I am like hmmm I look down at my left side of the swingarm and it snapped in Half causing the shaft to pull out!! :bang head: Great its 100 F'ing degrees out on fresh black top and my Damn VMAX has left me sitting again on the side of the road.:bang head:
So since we were in the middle of no where, I was like well foot push me to the store down the road about 3 miles, which we did..
Parked it and I had to ride bitch back to get the truck.. Story ended. I have some pics of this shit! Never seen or heard anyone who has snapped a swingarm in half.
My buddy was like I seen when you were on the back wheel your swingarm was flexing! and when ya came down to nail 2nd I heard KA-FUKIN-BAM!!

Well I blame all this on Sean since he is trying to sell swingarms. Sean hollor at me with some pics on your 3 in, with an OEM diameter shaft.

Maybe this was the root of my flexxing wobbler for the past yr:ummm:
I am telling that damn Shinko tire is no joke for those that ride there VMAX's to the limit!!

Holy Shit Dude
Glad to hear you are ok. Never heard of anyone breaking the fucking swing arm, that is knarley. Good thing they are easy to replace.

Oh yeah, I have been staring at your avatar for about an hour and she still hasnt lifter her top. =)

same here glad your ok you nut cake ... maybe with the new swingarm the wobbler will be gone for good and your times might get quicker...now tell me when you get the wheel up in first..do you balance with using gas ,,,how is this done...

Thanks, Yeah I am ok. I guess I was doing about 60 when I came down for 2nd. It didnt get out of shape to bad believe it or not. I felt it flexing the first part of first.

Attachments

• Swingarm.jpg
    Swingarm.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 147
same here glad your ok you nut cake ... maybe with the new swingarm the wobbler will be gone for good and your times might get quicker...now tell me when you get the wheel up in first..do you balance with using gas ,,,how is this done...

Its a mix of throttle and rear brake, Basically the rear brake is the "Ohh Shit" Saver.. Now that I have the front end unstrapped its not bad laying the front end down, but it does come down hard compared to other motorcycles. The A Point on the VMAX is very narrow, not a bike you can wheelie for miles. I was just doing wheelies cause the new tire was hooking and wasnt allowing me to do any smokie burnouts.

Damn! The shaft survived?

I havent tore it apart yet. To be honest I am in no big rush. It's been so damn hot here 100+ with humidity so thick you can see it! I am just waiting on my scooter to get here, I may enjoy rididng that around more, NOT!
Just tired of the VMAX tearing up. For all I know I may have snapped the shaft, its unlikely though.
I guess this is why they sell the braced swingarm. All the passes I have made with a car tire, all the burn outs, all the wheelies, something was bound to break. I am just glad its no my tranny and to be honest If it was the tranny I would have drove it off into a lake here NO SHIT, thats how tired of this thing leaving me sitting after a days worths of stress testing.

Wow! That's pretty wild! :surprise: I've never seen a swingarm snap there. When you pull the swingarm, take some more pictures... preferably bigger pictures! :biglaugh:

1st.... glad to hear you are o.k.

2nd..... That is Fu#$^ing Awesome!

Try to get some more pictures.....

That swingarm will be a garage-wall hanging conversation piece for sure!

Oh, by the way, how comfortable is the rear pad on a ZRX1200 anyway?

Thanks man,
Well I told my buddy that I need a beer before I ride on the back of a motorcycle even more so ride bitch!
So I drank me down a tall one and hopped on. I was like dont gas it or act like an idiot I am holding on to the back. Being 6ft 7 I had no problem seeing over his shoulder running 115 back on the interstate.

But to be honest I have to give my hat off to all the special ladies that ride on the back of a motorcycle with us!! Guys I am telling you, better do something special for those that ride on the back with you, its not all that, they do it for YOU!!!!

I havent tore it apart yet. To be honest I am in no big rush. It's been so damn hot here 100+ with humidity so thick you can see it! I am just waiting on my scooter to get here, I may enjoy rididng that around more, NOT!

Glad your OK

Are you gonna put NOS on the scooter also? it could be more fun than the max?

No, not going to mess with the scooter, completly STOCK I am going to follow SS and be a Stockboy also.
Gas and go. Whats the purpose of modifying a scooter, its like buying a tart cart school bus to make it an oval track racer.

man thats f'ing crazy !

Yeah no shit man I was like DAYUMN when I FIRST SEEN IT! My buddy was like I seen it flexing while you were on the back wheel right before I heard it snap!

Ohh here is a fucking with the local pigs for ya bud.

I was cruising home from GF's Friday night and noticed they had a DUI checkpoint setup down about an 1/8 mile from the street I live on, I was in a piss and vinegar mood anyway looking for some late night excitement since my GF well X GF now was a lug.
When I turned on my street I nailed it and revved it out first to redline blipping 2nd I am sure they heard it and thought that I was running from the checkpoint.. Pulled into my driveway and killed the lights FTP

Yeah no shit man I was like DAYUMN when I FIRST SEEN IT! My buddy was like I seen it flexing while you were on the back wheel right before I heard it snap!

I was cruising home from GF's Friday night and noticed they had a DUI checkpoint setup down about an 1/8 mile from the street I live on, I was in a piss and vinegar mood anyway looking for some late night excitement since my GF well X GF now was a lug.
When I turned on my street I nailed it and revved it out first to redline blipping 2nd I am sure they heard it and thought that I was running from the checkpoint.. Pulled into my driveway and killed the lights FTP

Sweet :worthy:

Hell it was probably the shaft that saved you. I've never heard of of anyone snapping a swingarm before. Quite the shop trophy indeed.

LOL, I try and get in a one wheel salute when I drive by the "police palace" where a couple of troopers live on my block. They don't rally do DUI check points up here.

Damn lankey, I AM impressed....:worthy:

How in the hell did that happen? :ummm:

Every thing else check out OK?

Perhaps rotational counter force coming from the pumpkin from all those 1.60 launches????:confused2:

In any even that had to be a chronic fatigue failure and didn't happen all at once, not with steel I don't think anyway:ummm:

You need to brace the next one, I did mine and it was a piece of cake.......

Rusty

:confused2:Yes, my swingarm broke completly in half on the left side.

Well I installed my new Shinko tire last weekend and broke the tire in.
Went riding over the weekend with my buddy on his ZRX1200. Well I was taking advantage of the tire and pulling wheelies starting at 20MPH sliding the clutch (when normally would break the tire loose) and riding it out to 65MPH.

Well we were up in KY about 75 miles from my house and my buddy motioned to turn around. So I made a U-turn and I was on some new fresh black top and figured I would lay a nice burnout on the virgin pavement. Well I wound her up and let the clutch fly she spun just a lil and it hooked pulling the front end up, when I went to hit 2nd gear I heard BAMN CRASH CLANG!!! WTF??:ummm: Lost all power and pulled the clutch in as I coasted off to the shoulder... MY buddy looked back and i was like :ummm: whats wrong
I figured I snapped another driveshaft or worse thought was blew 2nd gear out. Buddy comes cruising up and is like try another gear. I started it up and bumped it to 3rd let the clutch out CLANG CLANG BAMM BAMMM CRUNCH CRUNCH:ummm: I am like hmmm I look down at my left side of the swingarm and it snapped in Half causing the shaft to pull out!! :bang head: Great its 100 F'ing degrees out on fresh black top and my Damn VMAX has left me sitting again on the side of the road.:bang head:
So since we were in the middle of no where, I was like well foot push me to the store down the road about 3 miles, which we did..
Parked it and I had to ride bitch back to get the truck.. Story ended. I have some pics of this shit! Never seen or heard anyone who has snapped a swingarm in half.
My buddy was like I seen when you were on the back wheel your swingarm was flexing! and when ya came down to nail 2nd I heard KA-FUKIN-BAM!!

Well I blame all this on Sean since he is trying to sell swingarms. Sean hollor at me with some pics on your 3 in, with an OEM diameter shaft.

Maybe this was the root of my flexxing wobbler for the past yr:ummm:
I am telling that damn Shinko tire is no joke for those that ride there VMAX's to the limit!!

:ttiwwp:

Well not completely worthless. It's a good story.

Certainly does explain your flexing wobbler.

Very few people have seen what a swing arm is really made of so can you cut a few cross sections of the tubing and show the audience just how flimsy the stock swingarm is?

Really interested to see the break points.

:ttiwwp:

Well not completely worthless. It's a good story.

Certainly does explain your flexing wobbler.

Very few people have seen what a swing arm is really made of so can you cut a few cross sections of the tubing and show the audience just how flimsy the stock swingarm is?

Really interested to see the break points.

It's right here M8! http://www.vmaxforum.net/showpost.php?p=42936&postcount=5

That picture is about as small as my........ well, it's small (I'll leave it at that)

What Gleno (and myself, and probably others) are interested in seeing where the crack is located in relation to bends, welds, etc. and to see close-ups of the crack itself to see if we can identify where it started and to see if there are other noticable stress areas. This may be very helpful for knowing how the swingarm flexes and how the bracing should be fixed to it.

lankee, when you have a chance please post some more pictures before hanging that prize winning trophy on the wall.

Back