Brush with corporate greatness

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tothemax93

Reaction score
This is for the upstate/central NY guys. I went to Wegmans today for some lunch. I walked into the store and there was a big buzz with all the workers. They had signs made, and were wearing colorful hard hats. I asked the clerk what was up, and today was the day for the big shots Christmas visit. About ten minutes later there was a big Merry Christmas with horns blowing and cheering. Then in walked a bunch of suits and then Danny Wegman. I certainly don't know him, but he was going around to all the workers and some people, wishing them merry christmas. He seemed like a real genuine guy. A genuine guy with a lot of money. He walked a foot from me, so I could have shook his hand. I didn't because I was right in the middle of my chicken wings. Probably had sauce all over my face. I know I had it on my hands. I believe his store was rated the number one place to work in the US by it's employers. If not this year, in years past.

^ Nice, it's always good to see an employer who actually appreciates his employees.

One of my friends is retired from Wegmans and he is well-compensated for his time in the job.

In FL it used to be Winn Dixie, the Davis family who in the 1970's owned about 80% of the urban supermarket business. I worked for a construction co back then, building their stores and remodeling them. Over time, they lost sight of where they wanted to stay, and now Publix owns 80% and everyone else is 20%. One of my wife's best friend's father worked for Winn Dixie as a manager and they squeezed their managers hard. You could make a lot of $ but you worked long hours, and if they didn't like that your sales were flat, they would demote you and there went the big bonuses and sales incentives, stock options, etc.

Having grown-up where Wegman's was a big business, it's good to hear they are prospering, and are tasking care of the workforce.

Gee, and my superintendent decided he is putting himself on our shift rotation for overtime. Sort of a brush with corporate greatness, with his two hands on your shoulders while he 's sticking it to us. My two supervisors above me don't do that even though they are the same job description as I. Happy holidays;(

Gee, and my superintendent decided he is putting himself on our shift rotation for overtime. Sort of a brush with corporate greatness, with his two hands on your shoulders while he 's sticking it to us. My two supervisors above me don't do that even though they are the same job description as I. Happy holidays;(

A superintendent that's not salary exempt?
That's strange.

Yep, entirely different white collar classification and Union. Grievance was filed and won so he changed the wording in his job responsibilities and put an I.T. guy on our rotation list that supposedly covers any day shift call offs during the week to fill in for the minimally required staffing instead of filling the shift with a call in person. That's a whole new grievance!
Class act all the way.

We had a guy that went from office work, bidding jobs and such, to a superintendent. They were smaller jobs. The laborers were all over him if he did any work. There were a few grievances. A few came from the niagara falls laborers. Back in the day, there would have been some broken bones. He ended up going from salary, to joining the labor union. Now he's still a superintendent, He can do any work, and he almost doubled his pay, being hourly. Still has problems with the Niagara falls local. Not supposed to lift a finger in the local, without clearing in.

I never mentioned that Wegmans is a major super market chain in my area.

Back