Buying tires on-line

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilsnel

Reaction score
I bought a new set of Avon Venom X last May 08 for my Vmax. I love the way the tire handles but they cracked on the side walls like they are dry rotted. I talked to the guys at MotoX on line that I bought them from and they didn't want to warranty them. I finally did some research online and found out that Avon is part of Cooper Tire. This was in June of 09, the customer rep told me no problem they will replace them.Long story short 3 months later the rep tells me that he can't do much because the online store doesn't want to take care of the return.So now I have a $400 junk pair of tires and I'm gonna have to go buy another set. I won't buy another set of tires online.
later

Anybody going to the DelMarVa bike show next weekend

I bought a set of MEZ-4's on line and got 7k out of the rear without cracking. loved them! Of course they don't make them anymore...figures.
I'm on a set of avon Azario's now and they hook nicely and seem to be in for the long haul. tires have a shelf life and some on line cheap tire stores sell them, that's why there cheap.

I bought a new set of Avon Venom X last May 08 for my Vmax. I love the way the tire handles but they cracked on the side walls like they are dry rotted. I talked to the guys at MotoX on line that I bought them from and they didn't want to warranty them. I finally did some research online and found out that Avon is part of Cooper Tire. This was in June of 09, the customer rep told me no problem they will replace them.Long story short 3 months later the rep tells me that he can't do much because the online store doesn't want to take care of the return.So now I have a $400 junk pair of tires and I'm gonna have to go buy another set. I won't buy another set of tires online.
later

Anybody going to the DelMarVa bike show next weekend

Well, i was actually looking online last night at new tires and i had it narrowed down to the avon storms. After hearing that story, i'm not sure about buying avons :ummm:

Even though you bought the tires in 2008, you never know how long the online store had them sitting on the shelf. One way to tell the age of ANY tire is to look at the sidewall for the DOT code....the last group of numbers will be the date of manufacture. Example: 4008---this means the tire was manufactured on the 40th (40) week of 2008 (08). This holds true with all tires. I have been to the local wholesale club, just browsing at tires and have seen tires ON THE SHELF that were over 3 YEARS OLD!!!! To someone who doesn't know to look and read the date codes....they would think they were getting a "brand new tire". Of course when buying online, its impossible to know what age of tire you will recieve. Hope this helps!

I bought the tires in May 08 and they are stamped 2707 on the front and 4207 rear so they werent that old when they sent them to me.It just pisses me off that the factory doesn't want to warranty there tires,regardless of where I bought them.It's still there tires.

I have a VenomX on the back of my Max...it just spins all over the place. Dry traction is mediocre at best, and wet traction absolutely sucks. It's like driving a 2wd truck in the snow....spin spin spin all over the place. Once this back one is done(won't be long with how much it just peels out), I'm putting a ME880 on it. I really can't recommend the Avon tire.

Buying tires online is kind of hit-and-miss. If you buy a "popular" tire in a fairly common size it's unlikely you'll get a tire that's been sitting around for years. Some speciality or unusual size and you never know.

Check local dealer prices...often it's a little more than an online price, but it's cheaper in the end once you factor in additional shipping charges online resellers almost always slam you with. One near me offers free mounting when you buy a tire from them, so that saves another $20 or whatever.

I bought the tires in May 08 and they are stamped 2707 on the front and 4207 rear so they werent that old when they sent them to me.It just pisses me off that the factory doesn't want to warranty there tires,regardless of where I bought them.It's still there tires.

You got 420 tires, thats the problem.:rofl_200:
Stuff like this pisses me off, It's cost Avon close to nothing to replace them and would reap a few more customers if it was know they had good customer service, instead, they will now get a rap as poor customer service, and I for one will never buy their tires. I've not boughten a lot of products from companies because of stuff like this.

I've had Avons before and they were good tires (Storms) but their Customer Service sucks. They had a road hazard warranty for a while about 3 or 4 years ago. My friend picked up a box cutter blade with about 900 miles. They wouldn't honor their own warranty. Said the tire had too many miles. Guess the warranty was only good the first 100 miles or so.

Back