cam timing question....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juleshayabusa

Reaction score
i have a 1995 vmax....i am used to inline 4...i redid the heads on the max and the cam timing seems a bit tricky to me....i did a search and didnt really find what im looking for.....anyways i put the cams back in as the manual says.....seems like the rear might be touching the valve a bit but im not sure so i would like to double check with you guys......on the crank the t1 mark has a dash and then the mark...i lined it up with the pointer....i pu the intake cam in with the small hole...looks like a punch mark....now what im wondering is did i used the correct mark on the crank ?????...also the cams have a hole in the face which i figured is for balance.....i used the 2 marks on the edge of cam....one small punch mark and one looks like a one sixteenth hole.....for the rear i put the small punch marks to the cam cap line and the front i used the hole that a sixteenth...sound right???

the reason i am double checking is cause i turned it with the wrench today and it seems to catch a bit....which isnt normal so i checked the front cylinder and its good and smooth when the piston is up top....but the rear when the piston is up top the valve seem to open at a diferent spot the the front so i think i might have used the wrong marks or holes for the rear.....

thanx for any info.....

i have a 1995 vmax....i am used to inline 4...i redid the heads on the max and the cam timing seems a bit tricky to me....i did a search and didnt really find what im looking for.....anyways i put the cams back in as the manual says.....seems like the rear might be touching the valve a bit but im not sure so i would like to double check with you guys......on the crank the t1 mark has a dash and then the mark...i lined it up with the pointer....i pu the intake cam in with the small hole...looks like a punch mark....now what im wondering is did i used the correct mark on the crank ?????...also the cams have a hole in the face which i figured is for balance.....i used the 2 marks on the edge of cam....one small punch mark and one looks like a one sixteenth hole.....for the rear i put the small punch marks to the cam cap line and the front i used the hole that a sixteenth...sound right???

the reason i am double checking is cause i turned it with the wrench today and it seems to catch a bit....which isnt normal so i checked the front cylinder and its good and smooth when the piston is up top....but the rear when the piston is up top the valve seem to open at a diferent spot the the front so i think i might have used the wrong marks or holes for the rear.....

thanx for any info.....
Some flywheels likes to have wrong timing - not sure why.

You should stick with TDC on cyl 1 and cyl 2.

Small holes for the rear and large holes for the front head -there are two holes on each camshaft.

After seting the T1 you need to rotate the crank 360' plus travel to T2 - thats why cyl 1 and 2 are on the same journal and TDC for both is not equal.

Not sure how else I can help you? My engilsh wont let me tho :confused2:

theres 3 holes on the cams....but the one on the face is a balancing hole or was that supposed to be the big hole????by the looks of it i think the front is good...its the rear thats looks odd....the valves are opening when the pistons just before top...which seems early......

theres 3 holes on the cams....but the one on the face is a balancing hole or was that supposed to be the big hole????

Dont mind that face one.

by the looks of it i think the front is good...its the rear thats looks odd....the valves are opening when the pistons just before top...which seems early......
Most defo, one tooth at least.

ok thanx a lot.....im gona go check and redo that rear one......im gona start over with the crank mark and all to see how it goes this time around........thanx again

yes thats how i did it.....just as long as i start the same way once the rear is done my front should still be set.....

Latest posts

Back