carb rebuild/cleaning?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jims94vmx

Reaction score
Been having an issue with the front left carb not idling no matter what I have done.....new needles, ran cleaners thru, compressed air, and no go....although sometimes at random it starts idling fast ( I have the idle up to compensate) and that idle mix screw out about 5-6 turns hoping to dislodge whatever is the problem....

decided to open up the drain screw to see if any debris comes out and I don't even get gas coming out! Thinking an overhaul of the carbs might be in order????

Thoughts on what I might be missing? Float stuck??? Used rubber mallet to see if that helped and did nothing......I do not want to tackle and wondered who you would recommend......thanks......then to tackle the stupid vboost! LOL

I had similar prob with no fuel out of drain after opening .I shot quick shot of air thru drain with srcew open . Drains fine now and there's a few guy's that will chime in that offer cleaning services !!

I sent mine to Sean Morley a couple months ago and had them cleaned and he installed his jet kit. My bike has never run so good. I would not hesitate to do it again. I had only communicated with him through email but he always responded promptly and answered any questions I had. Danny also gets great reviews, so I would reach out to one of those two. When it comes to parts or service on my Max, I come here first. Some of these guys really know their shit and are great people to deal with.

Thanks, I did try the air into the drain hose, my side covers hide where the hose hooks to the carb, maybe it is cracked and I did not notice....will try again and did get an email from Dan.....Thanks!!!

send them out to Dannymax at BRC carb shop :punk:

Just wanted to say what a pleasure it has been dealing with Danny! I sent him my carbs this past Monday (he got Tuesday) and they are already coming back to me for this Monday!!! He has been in touch regularly with any updates and getting my feedback and he even shipped them before he sent me the "the are done" email with the balance due! I am so glad I have stayed with the Vmax group. The help and guidance is fantastic. I have gotten away from the crowds and events ( I used to run the NE region) and do many rides.....but now have been kinda a loner again at least on the roads....but not as far as community! Thanks for all the advise.

Jim Horrocks

Did you happen to find out the problem ?
>

this from Danny "> I got them broken down and believe I found what's giving you
> heartburn....I knew right away when I pulled the diaphragm cover off #2
> and the diaphragm was dry....and had been dry for quite awhile. The
> needle valve was frozen tight in the seat, don't know if it had totally
> shut the fuel off but it certainly reduced the amount getting in! I'd
> say your bike was running on 3 cylinders most of the time. That's an
> easy fix tho.

and "> Finished getting everything cleaned up and discovered 2 of the shut-off
> diaphragms have small holes in them and need replaced. They run $36 ea.
> + shpg. or I have 2 good ones I'll sell you for $15 ea. You can let me
> know which way you want to go.
>
> Everything else looks good.

This cover it Danny?

He also cleaned and put in all new seals and o rings. I can't wait to get them back and see how it runs on all cylinders!

got home about 3:30 and package was waiting for me! I just got done putting them on and taking a spin.....all I can say is WOW! So that is how it feels with 4 cylinders! They are
as clean as the day the bike was new! Thanks Danny!!......she pulls hard from almost any rpm. Hardest part was remembering how to put the plastic shroud and plastic electronic holder back on the front! I think I had the carbs on faster! LOL

A big plus and kudo's to Danny!

Danny/Sean are cool guys can help, +1 on this.

I pull my carbs just keep having problems. I took all metal parts and boil them in lemon juice and then use w40 to clean off the lemond small, replace all gaskets.

I also went on and replace my gas tank with I new my old 1 had a little rust...
I just started replace a lot of parts new for peace of mind.

My carbs 3 of my block jets / pilot jets was clog thats inside the fuel bowls...
I remove the block jets and jets boiled them along with all metal parts.

Carbs may need cleaning,

Attachments

• vmax carb parts 1.JPG
    vmax carb parts 1.JPG
    404.4 KB · Views: 47
  • vmax carb parts.JPG
    vmax carb parts.JPG
    379.7 KB · Views: 46
  • vmax carb parts 3.JPG
    vmax carb parts 3.JPG
    305.1 KB · Views: 48
  • vmax carb parts 2.JPG
    vmax carb parts 2.JPG
    463.3 KB · Views: 49
+1 to Sean and Dan-o. When I get too lazy and don't want to work on my carbs...I hope they come and get mine lol.

I bought a ultra sonic cleaner, and it is the balls. Cleans very nice. I put my jets and small parts in a jar of carb. cleaner, then put this in the cleaning solution. They shine inside and out. Simple Green is my solution of choice. It works pisser on black powder pistol barrels and re loadable brass. Danny- max and Sean are your go to guys here. It gets done right.
Steve-o

Back