Carb Tweaking Help

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marc85

Reaction score
I just installed the UFO 4-1 Dragstar exhaust, I live in Denver, CO ***a mile above sea level***. The bike is running lean at 3.5 turns. Do I need to change jets? If so what do I need to change to?

On another note, I installed an RX1N gauge setup and need a little help with a few things....
1) configuring the speedo, I have already input the the tire diameter. I'm not sure what to do with the other settings in that adjustment section.
2) The tac doesn't read properly (I attached the gray wire from the old tac, which connects to the 1st cylinder plug for a read out) it sounds like it isn't reading a pick up until about 1500 to 2k RPM. What am I doing wrong?
3) What do I set the water temp warning temp to?
4) FUEL INDICATOR, I realize that the bike does not have a tank level type indicator, but it now requires me to have the fuel switch set to RES to pump. How do I fix this, do I need to hook up the R/B wire to something or keep the old fuel indicator light attached as well?
5) Shift light settings, I set it to 8500rpm - 500, are those the right values?

Thanks!

(DAMN IT SOUNDS AWESOME IDLING!!!

I just installed the UFO 4-1 Dragstar exhaust, I live in Denver, CO ***a mile above sea level***. The bike is running lean at 3.5 turns. Do I need to change jets? If so what do I need to change to?

Thanks

(DAMN IT SOUNDS AWESOME IDLING!!!

With my kerker 4-1 I eventually settled on 150's. The stock needles might be fine....but you will probably need to shim them at 20-30 thousands.

I have 150's, and stage 1 needles at 2nd clip from the blunt end, and at idle I'm running A/F 14.1-14.6. A/F screws at 3 turns out. Stage 1 needles offer NO HP gain over stock needles, I just like their adjust ability.

With my kerker 4-1 I eventually settled on 150's. The stock needles might fine....but you will probably need to shim them at 20-30 thousands.

I have 150's, and stage 1 needles at 2nd clip from the blunt end, and at idle I'm running A/F 14.1-14.6. A/F screws at 3 turns out. Stage 1 needles offer NO HP gain over stock needles, I just like their adjust ability.

The altitude causes some more issues here than in OK, know anyone who has found a good setting for a mile plus high? My air is thinner and no just because of all the weed in the area!

Well depending on elevation....you would go DOWN on jetting. I would say see how it runs with the 150's....and if needed....go to 147.5's.

That is the standard place that people start with a 4-1.

Rusty went to Colorado (maybe Wyoming)....and changed to 145's.

Last edited:
I jetted mine down to 145 while in Utah riding at 5500-11,000 elevation. Went back to 147.5'a when back home at sea level. Ran fantastic. UFO 4-2 pipes and stage 7 individual pods.

I've got 147.5's and shimmed needles in Skullduggery at Sea Level and those are a touch rich. 145's is a good place to start and you may not need to shim the needles.

TeslaMax,
The green lights look Great ! (I saw them on the other forum, the links here aren't working for some reason)
As for your Plugs they still look a little bit rich but as long as it runs strong, I wouldn't mess with it too much.
Look at the plug color chart here to see how yours compare:
http://www.dansmc.com/spark_plugs/sp...s_catalog.html

And from NGK:
Q: How do I "read" a spark plug?

A: Being able to "read" a spark plug can be a valuable tuning aid. By examining the insulator firing nose color, an experienced engine tuner can determine a great deal about the engine's overall operating condition.

In general, a light tan/gray color tells you that the spark plug is operating at optimum temperature and that the engine is in good condition. Dark coloring, such as heavy black wet or dry deposits can indicate an overly-rich condition, too cold a heat range spark plug, a possible vacuum leak, low compression, overly retarded timing or too large a plug gap.

For help with the Speedo/Tach you should PM jagco1:
http://www.vmaxforum.net/private.php?do=newpm&u=9648
or KJShover:
http://www.vmaxforum.net/private.php?do=newpm&u=1127

They both have experience with that style Speedo.

I figured out the tach setting... 2c - 1p.. something about the engine config causes the koso to read it properly as 2 cycle 1 piston. Go figure!

Here is a pic that might help you reading your plugs.

But like Dman999 said....as long as its running well....

Attachments

• sparkplug.jpg
    sparkplug.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 19
Back