Center Stand and Marks Exhaust

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpecOps13

Reaction score
When I bought my VMax, the center stand had already been removed by a previous owner. I missed having it for a number of reasons, which included checking the steering head bearing tightness. I had questions about installing a Marks exhaust and then installing a center stand. CaptainKyle came up with a center stand from one of his sources ( Thank You Kyle ). It was all there except a link that goes from the spring to a mounting point on the left inner tab.

I found a piece of stainless steel strap at Home Depot, already drilled to the right size to fill the gap. Actually, it was a stainless clamp found in their marine section. I didn't need the clamp or the nuts but used the slightly reshaped strap. I gave it a slight offset for more secure mounting of the spring. I drilled one hole of the strap larger to go over the round tab and into the slot.

I bolted the stand in place and checked for clearance with the exhaust. On mine, I had to bend the arm that you push down on when lifting the bike onto the stand. It was bent forward a very tiny bit to clear the muffler / can when the stand is not in use. Others told me that one of the pads may need to be reshaped with a grinder for clearance. That wasn't the case with mine. If your bike already has the stand, you may or may not need to make a minor modification for it to clear. At that point, I noticed there's a bracket on the Marks Exhaust for remounting the rubber bumper from the stand. This change is to keep the stand from hitting the crossover of the Marks System when the stand isn't holding the bike up.

I finally formed the right shape and size tool to grab and expand the spring onto it's mounting point on the stand. That completed the installation.

First picture shows the stand in the up position. It rests on the rubber bumper shown in picture 2 ( Remounted from the Stand to this point on the exhaust ) this should be the only contact the stand has with the exhaust system. Picture 3 shows the spring and the strap that I fabricated. Last picture, job complete...

Attachments

• Marks Rear Viwe Stand Up.jpg
    Marks Rear Viwe Stand Up.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 132
  • Marks Rubber Bumper Moved to Exhaust.jpg
    Marks Rubber Bumper Moved to Exhaust.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 134
  • Stailess Steel Strap Spring to Tab.jpg
    Stailess Steel Strap Spring to Tab.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 131
  • Stand in use.jpg
    Stand in use.jpg