changing to a Weber carb...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I got my AFR system today. The controller is way bigger than it looks in the pictures, and, the O2 sensor wiring, pigtail & plug are gonna be fun to find space for. We need a bigger motorbike captain. The gauge is nice and small, shouldn't be hard to find a spot for it. I'm thinking the controller will fit where the front or rear coils used to be.

I started the exhaust mods. I 'm using the stock head pipes and building a 4 into 4 system with long low mufflers. I'm taking progress pics and will post some when things begin to take shape. The fun never ends. Jay

Well I got my AFR system today. The controller is way bigger than it looks in the pictures, and, the O2 sensor wiring, pigtail & plug are gonna be fun to find space for. We need a bigger motorbike captain. The gauge is nice and small, shouldn't be hard to find a spot for it. I'm thinking the controller will fit where the front or rear coils used to be.

I started the exhaust mods. I 'm using the stock head pipes and building a 4 into 4 system with long low mufflers. I'm taking progress pics and will post some when things begin to take shape. The fun never ends. Jay
Good news Blujay, glad you're making progress and taking the pics of the development. Enjoy the process and results!

I got the Innovate system installed, not exciting enough for pictures. It works fine and as I suspected the idle jets are too small. I think I'll open up the existing jets a half step and see what happens. I can adjust the idle mixture screws and get the O2 right at 14.5, but then the screws are nearly three turns out and the speed screw is a little farther in than it should be. Weber gives some pretty tight specs as far as where the adjustment screws should end up.

I don't have the exhaust done yet so there was no test ride. I did run it at 5k for a few seconds, way fat, 9.5-11. Gonna have to skinny up the main jets. I'm amazed at how quickly this gizmo picks up the mixture change from idle to 5k. I may have to put the gauge on a switch so it doesn't distract me while riding.

The exhaust is another story. I welded the O2 bung into a slip on extension I built for the stock head pipes (pics coming). I put it under the transmission in the #2 exhaust pipe, tight but it fits. I built two different mufflers, the first one was way too loud but looked cool, the second sounded good but was butt ugly and interfered with the center stand.
I'm working on a deal for a pair of GSXR stock cans that I can adapt to quiet this beast. It was 75 degrees here today and all my motorbikes are under construction, go figure............... Jay

Which afr system did u go with?

I got the Innovate system installed, not exciting enough for pictures. It works fine and as I suspected the idle jets are too small. I think I'll open up the existing jets a half step and see what happens. I can adjust the idle mixture screws and get the O2 right at 14.5, but then the screws are nearly three turns out and the speed screw is a little farther in than it should be. Weber gives some pretty tight specs as far as where the adjustment screws should end up.

I don't have the exhaust done yet so there was no test ride. I did run it at 5k for a few seconds, way fat, 9.5-11. Gonna have to skinny up the main jets. I'm amazed at how quickly this gizmo picks up the mixture change from idle to 5k. I may have to put the gauge on a switch so it doesn't distract me while riding.

The exhaust is another story. I welded the O2 bung into a slip on extension I built for the stock head pipes (pics coming). I put it under the transmission in the #2 exhaust pipe, tight but it fits. I built two different mufflers, the first one was way too loud but looked cool, the second sounded good but was butt ugly and interfered with the center stand.
I'm working on a deal for a pair of GSXR stock cans that I can adapt to quiet this beast. It was 75 degrees here today and all my motorbikes are under construction, go figure............... Jay

You can change the update speed of the gauge by reprogramming the controller.

Gauging AFR while the bike stands still is not good enough. You need to put load on the motor and run it up and down the power band. So either keep track of the gauge as you ride or log it.

Which afr system did u go with?

I got the Innovate LC-1 with the DB gauge, pretty blue numbers. Installation was pretty straightforward. I strapped the controller right in front of the battery. I tapped into the unused v-boost plug for my switched power. Lotsa solder splices and shrink tubing.

You're right Sam, free revving doesn't give any really useable results but it was fun watching my brand new gauge flash all those numbers at me.
Hopefully I can get some street legal mufflers on her pretty soon so I can do some load tests and plug reads. I need to study the manual a bit more before I do any programming or data logging. Innovate seems to group several controllers into one CD/manual so you have to sort through to find the stuff thats relevant to your particular controller. Jay

I got the Innovate LC-1 with the DB gauge, pretty blue numbers. Installation was pretty straightforward. I strapped the controller right in front of the battery. I tapped into the unused v-boost plug for my switched power. Lotsa solder splices and shrink tubing.

You're right Sam, free revving doesn't give any really useable results but it was fun watching my brand new gauge flash all those numbers at me.
Hopefully I can get some street legal mufflers on her pretty soon so I can do some load tests and plug reads. I need to study the manual a bit more before I do any programming or data logging. Innovate seems to group several controllers into one CD/manual so you have to sort through to find the stuff thats relevant to your particular controller. Jay

any reason u didn't go with the mxtl one ? did u want the logging capabilities?

any reason u didn't go with the mxtl one ? did u want the logging capabilities?

I don't care much for the looks of the mtxl gauge. I'll probably figure out the data logging functions after I get this bike back on the road and relieve some of this winter/funk stress,,,,IOW I need to go for a nice long ride. Jay

They both allow logging, the difference is once is a gauge with the controller built in while one is gauge and controller separate.

For a bike you def want it all in one due to space constraints. I would have gone with the new one, sweeping LEDs on the face are much easier to read at a glance than numbers.

yea i had an lm-1 at one point so i do see the difference just wasn't sure on the mxtl and wanted to hear any real life uses with it.

I haven't given up.... Bike projects have been delayed due to slow shipping, creepin crud, excess precipitation and general lazyness on my part. I finally got my mufflers, the antibiotics are working and the sun shone brightly today. When I get the exhaust done we go for test ride, long test ride. Jay

Just a little update, I got some Honda Intercepter cans and made a Venture like exhaust manifold, nice and quiet, too quiet. I decided a nice electric oil pressure gauge to match the AFR gauge would be nice. I built a "dash board"/ windscreen mount to house them. Attached are a couple of pics. Progress has been less than slow, I've been working one job days and putting my hotrod shop back together evenings, I'm a busy old man. I did manage to get my FZ1 up and running so at least I have some two wheel therapy. Later, Jay

Attachments

• vmax pics 002 - Copy.jpg
    vmax pics 002 - Copy.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 131
  • vmax pics 004 - Copy.jpg
    vmax pics 004 - Copy.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 148
Thanks for the update Jay! Keep plugging away at the project, you're getting closer!
How are the carbs working? How is the fuel mileage?

2011 SUCKS sofar. I got Max all ready for test rides, the last part of May, just waiting for the weather to cooperate. I took a little tumble at the shop the first of June, nothing major just lost my balance and toppled over, no injuries, except to mr pride. A couple days later(the 3th) my finger tips felt tingeley so I called the help nurse, she made me an appointment for that afternoon. My doc said she wanted to admit me I told her I had a lot of crap I needed to get done first. She mentioned para/quadraplegic., by 6:00pm I was admitted and waiting for transport to Davis Grant Med Center at Travis AFB Ca. On Monday morning I was in the OR having a herniated disc scraped out from between the 3/4 vertabrae and some donor bone fitted then scewed in place with titanium plates and screws. Six hours on the slab, a nice scar thats gonna make shaving my right neck a little messy for a while and a super sore wind pipe, the neuro surgeon says all went well. I go back to see her on the 27th for another fun ride in the MRI machine to see how the bone fusion is going. I'll have my finger, toes, eyes and balls crossed on that day

I had a car wreck thirty years ago with no apparent injuries except a stiff neck a few weeks later and occassional neck pain through the years. Now it's obvious I had a whiplash but I was tough guy and ignored it. Hindsight you know, learn from it. Some advice, nobody's tough enough to beat time, if it hurts get it checked out. I'm just hoping I don't have to start selling motorcycles. Not sure how long I'll be in this fucking neck brace or Physical Therapy, my trip across this gorgeous country may be postponed this year. Oh well, play the hand you're dealt. Jay

BTW Maxer runs fine. It sat for two weeks, I twisted the throttle once to work the accelerator pump, touched the starter and in about a minute she was idling perfectly. As soon as the doc lets me lift more than my weener I'm gonna tackle the windscreen/front fairing.

Yeah it purdy much sucks, thanks for the sympathy.
The bike runs awesome. It should probably go a tiny bit smaller on the main jets, it's just a little fat at cruise 13.5-14 AFR. I did open the air correction jets a touch which made the transition from idle to "hang on!" a little less abrupt. What is really cool about this carb is I can change main jets in about five minutes and it never comes out of synch. I'm getting roughly 35-40 mpg now, if I ride it like an old man with a fucked up neck but that's near impossible to do, that 0 to 100 rush is just too hard to resist. Maybe who ever ends up with it will let me help them finish dialing it in. I'll still be lurking around these parts cuz I still got the affliction, the VMAX affliction.

Thanks Jay

Well, Mr Max is going to OZtralia, hopefully I'll be able to keep track of the Weber adaptation. Does any body have a junk block and a pair of junk heads laying around? I have one more manifold design I'd like to build for Mr Max. Cya around.

Back