changing to a Weber carb...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sweet indeed! I like the idea of switching jets without having to pull everything apart. I hope it works out well.

Well I took her out for a short ride on Saturday. I only went about twenty miles, but I think with an idle jet change and some warmer weather she'll be ready for a little longer test. The idle/low speed circuit feels lean, the transition from low/midrange to main jet circuit is quite abrupt and when it returns to idle after a cruise above 5k it dies unless I ease the rpm down. The power from about 4k up to peeing my pants is awesome. I'm gonna get an Innovate wideband AFR kit to see exactly whats happening.

I don't know whats goning on with the clutch slave. I bled it and now it don't leak and functions fine but the front brakes aren't releasing correctly. I think the front brake hoses have turned into one way valves over the years, I've seen this happen quite a lot on older vehicles. Good excuse to get some pretty braided stainless brake hoses. Come on springtime. Jay

This is a Very Interesting Thread.. I wish you all the Good Fortune in the world with this project. Can't wait for the Finale.......

Well I took her out for a short ride on Saturday. I only went about twenty miles, but I think with an idle jet change and some warmer weather she'll be ready for a little longer test. The idle/low speed circuit feels lean, the transition from low/midrange to main jet circuit is quite abrupt and when it returns to idle after a cruise above 5k it dies unless I ease the rpm down. The power from about 4k up to peeing my pants is awesome. I'm gonna get an Innovate wideband AFR kit to see exactly whats happening.

Maybe I missed it but how did you determine the jetting for the new carb?

I do not recommend innovates WB AFR. The controller is very very finicky, I have one, trust me when I say this. Its also a separate gauge and controller. Unless you need programmable outputs and serial logging ability, then its a different story. Otherwise, I highly recommend you get an AEM wideband. Its very reliable, doesnt need free air calibration and its a controller and gauge in one.

This is a neat project! Sounds like you've had favorable results so far. I hope you see over 40MPG because that's about what I see. 39 to 42 and mine's not stock.

Chris

Maybe I missed it but how did you determine the jetting for the new carb?.

The jetting is just what came in the used ebay 38DGAS Weber. The idle jet is the smallest available for this carb (.45mm). The main jets size I wrote down so I wouldn't have to remember them, well I lost the 'post it' I wrote the size on so....... I was gonna use my trusty jet drills and open up the idle jets a half step at a time, but.....I got the Innovate LC-1 kit with a pretty blue gauge for $161 shipped. Now I'll have to get busy with some exhaust mods.

This really is a fun project for me and if I can get close to the same range on a tank as I get with my FZ1 (120-150 with a full wind screen, saddle bags, 100+# of crap, my 200# flabby ass and 80-85mph cruise speed) I'll be a hap hap happy boy. I've taken the FZ1 coast to coast twice in the last two years. It's a great bike but the riding position, although way more upright than a crotch rocket, just isn't as comfortable as my Vmax. I've only got until September 1 to get her ready for this years coast to coast. Jay

Last edited:
The jetting is just what came in the used ebay 38DGAS Weber. The idle jet is the smallest available for this carb (.45mm). The main jets size I wrote down so I wouldn't have to remember them, well I lost the 'post it' I wrote the size on so....... I was gonna use my trusty jet drills and open up the idle jets a half step at a time, but.....I got the Innovate LC-1 kit with a pretty blue gauge for $161 shipped. Now I'll have to get busy with some exhaust mods.

This really is a fun project for me and if I can get close to the same range on a tank as I get with my FZ1 (13-20-150 with a full wind screen, saddle bags, 100+# of crap, my 200# flabby ass and 80-85mph cruise speed) I'll be a hap hap happy boy. I've taken the FZ1 coast to coast twice in the last two years. It's a great bike but the riding position, although way more upright than a crotch rocket, just isn't as comfortable as my Vmax. I've only got until September 1 to get her ready for this years coast to coast. Jay

do you trust jet drills?

do you trust jet drills?

My jet drills start at #80 (.0135") and go up to #61 (.039") They're great for doing half steps in metric jets under 1.0mm. Mostly I use them for cleaning tiny jets but they come handy for making sure the jet is the same size as it's marked. The tiny drills are easy to get mixed up so I always use my digital caliper to measure them little suckers. Jay

My jet drills start at #80 (.0135") and go up to #61 (.039") They're great for doing half steps in metric jets under 1.0mm. Mostly I use them for cleaning tiny jets but they come handy for making sure the jet is the same size as it's marked. The tiny drills are easy to get mixed up so I always use my digital caliper to measure them little suckers. Jay

it just seems to me the potential runout of a bit or even the drilpress could alter the jets more than the size on the bit.

it just seems to me the potential runout of a bit or even the drilpress could alter the jets more than the size on the bit.

These bits are much too small for a drillpress. I use a pin vise to hold the bit, a soft jawed little vise to hold the jet and then just spin the bit holder between my thumb and index finger gently reaming out the exiting hole in the jet. Jets are brass so you gotta be real careful. But if you screw up and go too big you can always solder up the hole and start over.

These bits are much too small for a drillpress. I use a pin vise to hold the bit, a soft jawed little vise to hold the jet and then just spin the bit holder between my thumb and index finger gently reaming out the exiting hole in the jet. Jets are brass so you gotta be real careful. But if you screw up and go too big you can always solder up the hole and start over.

seems like the ability to error and not know it is really high!

thats a good price. cool too!

i may pick one up for my a/f screws down the road.

Hey sean, whats your dealer pricing on these?!

Yea, its a very very good price. Hopefully the resolved all their ground issues with this new unit. The old unit has crazy problems if you have bad grounds and its even worse if you get a unit with the newer firmware.

I didnt know Sean was an innovate dealer.

Damnit sean. Why couldn't u say like $500?

Thinking to set my a/f screws from time o time and loan out. Could probably easily just hook it up to my battery tender pigtail.

Yep! Probably looking at $160-$170 range plus shipping

So what did Innovate do, just put the LC-1 controller inside the gauge body? I've been perusing the Innovate user forum and there are no posts about the MTX......yet. There are plenty about the one I should have on Monday. It's gonna be sunny here this weekend, I may just punch out the idle jets a RCH and see what happens. Jay

looks like it. i woulda bought one of these in a heartbeat a couple years ago. spent more on less then.

So what did Innovate do, just put the LC-1 controller inside the gauge body? I've been perusing the Innovate user forum and there are no posts about the MTX......yet. There are plenty about the one I should have on Monday. It's gonna be sunny here this weekend, I may just punch out the idle jets a RCH and see what happens. Jay

Pretty much, if you notice they even offer a powersport version which has a shorter pig tail.

Problem with all in one gauge is it makes using gauge cups more difficult due to the amount of wires coming out of it.

Back