Choke...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghostntheshell

Reaction score
How long do you guys leave your choke on after starting? (when and if you need to)?
________
headshops

Last edited:
Depends how late at night it is... lol

I never leave it all the way on but will let it go until I see temp on the gauge.

Chris

In the A.M. it's in the high sixties here in P.A. & I run it 'til I hit the highway...'bout 5 minutes with the choke 1/2 way on.

When I leave work it's in the 80's so I only put it about 1/4 way on for the minute I let it idle 'til I leave.

It's good after that.

all depends on the conditions. When the Vmax is to cold it will let you know(runs like crap)

I try to turn it off as soon as I possibly can. Normally it's only a 1/4 mile down the road from home. As long as I don't have to stop and idle I will shut it off asap. I will let the bike warm up for a few minutes before leaving with the choke 1/2 or 1/4 of the way on. Whatever it takes to keep it idling smooth but no more than 1500-2000 rpm. I won't rev the motor over 4 or 5k till the temp gauge is about halfway to the rivet.

basically until its done stumbling. rarely do i have it over half choke tho. i'll run it with like 1/8 choke for a mile or two if its being cranky.

I usually leave ti on `bout 1/2 until it hits the first mark on the water temp
in the am. and in the afternoon just as long as it takes me to put on my helmet and shades.:rockon00::coolgleamA:
<<Dave>>:th_favorites24:

Over 3,000 miles on my max (11000 total), and I've used the choke exactly one time; when it sat for 5-6 days w/o being ridden.. I guess mine just doesn't need it. The thing fires right up and catches an idle it'll hold (7-800 rpm) with just a small blip or two from the throttle. However, it doesn't hold a great idle (1000-1100 rpm) until it's been driven for a couple of blocks.

Last edited:
I shut off the enrichener circuit ( choke ) after the Max will idle with out it. Usually a minute or so while I check the brake lights and turn signals. This type of circuit stops working as soon as you open the throttle, but I think it makes the bike run richer if it gets left on too long.

Lew

Back