clutch judder ??

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srx2002

Reaction score
quick question, I have an 06 with 7000kms on it. I'm having a problem that's really buggin me if anyone can help.

when I start off in first gear, the clutch seems to engage at the end and that's fine....but what bothers me is the fact that the clutch seems to very " juddery?? " I tried some things like changing the clutch fluid and a good bleed...but it's still the same. I've also noticed that if I come off a roadway and say for example pull into a gas station....if I DONT pull the clutch in and just coast in 3rd gear or whatever ( regular driving like anyone here would do " I can feel/hear a sorta chugging or juttering...almost like it would SEEM to be a U joint or the differencial...however I don't think that would be the case since the bike has been taken care of pretty good ( 1-2 attempts at a burnout and a handful of wheelies..and no drag racing )

I also tried this as a test

I lock the front brake, put it in first gear and slowly release the clutch..and again the bike clutch seems to really Chug or jutter...almost like it's lurching AND you can hear I guess the driveshaft clunking trying to puch the bike forward.

*** for the record...my friends 1985 does not do it at all.***********

ANYONE else have this problem...cause It's really beginning to Annoy me to the point of selling the thing.

Would this be a sign of something wrong with the clutch???

06 vmax, led taillight, micro blinkers, drag handlebar, HMF carbon exhaust, Morley seat, progressive front and rear, K&N filter, 2.5 turns out on mixture, .45mm needle shims, t-boost

thanks in advance!

Could be worn clutch plates/discs. I noticed that when I tried a bike with the Double D mod the release isn't as smooth....a bit of chugging as you say.

Could be worn clutch plates/discs. I noticed that when I tried a bike with the Double D mod the release isn't as smooth....a bit of chugging as you say.

I feel this a little with my DD&1/2.Mostly before it is warmed up and just leaving home going easy in the grass.

I would be more concerned with a new bike with 3500 miles on it.

My bike does this mildly since I put in a new clutch and did the Double D mod.

When I did the clutch I went with all full plates and ditched the wierd ones.

Looking at that inner ring that is inside the smaller friction plate it appears to be somewhat of a diaphragm spring to, and looks likes it's in there to soften the engagement "event" and without it is why it shudders a little when trying to get the smoothest release possible.

I don't think it's the extra sprin causing it....???????

On a stock clutch doing that I'd wanna have a look to make sure somthings not fouled up in there........

Rusty

One thing that can cause a funky clutch feel is a worn basket. This should not be the case i would think in your newer bike. Typically it gives a notchy feeling. You may want to examine your lever too to see if it's binding at all.

Sean

Back