Connecting a shift light?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i want to do this mod also. Raptor or Harlan? And where to buy? Thanks all.

John

I can't speak for a Harlan, But I use a Raptor an it works flawlessly through all the rain and washing I do to my VMax.
Just remember to cover the dip switch port with something weather tight.
I ended up with just a piece of electrical tape and it's been on there for a year now, no problems.

Hi
I have the AUTOMETER shift Light with 3 wires, 12 volts switched ,, ground,, neg coil.

I hooked all up and hooked the Tach signal to the Gray wire on the back of the Tach put in a 9600 rpm Pill and Its does NOT work..:confused2:

DO I hook it to the Neg on (one) coil ? or the neg of all coils??:bang head:

Im assured the unit works But 10K with the 9600 pill in did not work but when I power it on the light comes on for 1 short second and then goes out.
I think im ok on Power and Ground But were Am I to hook up the tach (its behind hooked to the tach Gray lead now.

HELP
Johnjacob 53

Hi
I have the AUTOMETER shift Light with 3 wires, 12 volts switched ,, ground,, neg coil.

I hooked all up and hooked the Tach signal to the Gray wire on the back of the Tach put in a 9600 rpm Pill and Its does NOT work..:confused2:

DO I hook it to the Neg on (one) coil ? or the neg of all coils??:bang head:

Im assured the unit works But 10K with the 9600 pill in did not work but when I power it on the light comes on for 1 short second and then goes out.
I think im ok on Power and Ground But were Am I to hook up the tach (its behind hooked to the tach Gray lead now.

HELP
Johnjacob 53

I had an Autometer shift light hooked up to mine for awhile and had to play around with the RPM pills and number of cylinders setting. The ignition pulse, trigger points or whatever else is different and wont work with the standard automotive style install. I think I went with the 6 or 8 cylinder setting and the 3k pill to make it come on at 9k. I hooked mine up to the tach signal behind the instrument cluster and it worked.

I had an autometer on mine for a bit and had the pulse wire hooked up to one of the coils, it would not work when hooked up to the instrument cluster although I think the manual shows that tach signal coming straight off one of the coils.

Being a waste spark system (two firings per compression cycle, one on exhaust and one on compression) I had to set it to something other than four cyclinder to make it work right...

The Raptors and Harlans are a no brainer, and highly recommended. My Raptor is still working after several years and several unintended baths, although a couple of the LED's have died I'm sure due to water...I'd buy another one without a second thought...

Back