Consumer Reports and bikes

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
BMW and H-D Score Lowest in Consumer Reports Reliability Survey

Written by: Motorcyclist

BMW-R-1200-GS_125-623x415.jpg

Consumer Reports, best known for hard-hitting, take-no-prisoners, multi-brand toaster-oven comparos, has taken its first look at motorcycle reliability, and the results aren’t good if you own a BMW or a Harley-Davidson. Both brands were rated less reliable than Japanese motorcycles, with about a quarter of Harley owners reporting serious problems in the last four years. BMW fared even worse, with one in three reporting problems in the same period. By contrast, only about 10 percent of Yamaha owners had problems, and Kawasaki and Honda scored only a little worse.
Most of the problems reported by BMW and H-D owners were trivial, costing owners less than $200 to rectify. Among them were issues with accessories, brakes, and electrical and fuel systems.
Give these stats you’d think owners of the least reliable bikes would make tracks to some other showroom next time. In fact, three out of four BMW and H-D owners said they’d buy the same brand again. Honda owners were equally committed to a repeat purchase, with Yamaha and Kawasaki slightly behind.

http://blogs.motorcyclistonline.com...s-reliability-survey-34135.html#axzz2fCkS2Jia

I'm a little surprised BMW made that list. The HD - eh, not so surprised.

Yea Im sort of surprised about BMW as well. I've been recently watching "Long Way Down" and "Long Way Around" on Netflix. They use BMW's for the adventure and those bikes take a beating. Granted, I'm sure there's a lot of "off camera" work that's done on them, but still those bikes go through A LOT of miles and some of the worst conditions imaginable.

I'm also a die hard RUSH fan and a drummer which means I sort of worship Neal Peart who is also an avid motorcyclist. He's written books and blogs about his travels(he actually travels from show to show on motorcycle). He's put hundreds of thousands of miles on BMW motorcycles.

I love my VMax, but I've already got the big itch to do some longer cross country trips on a motorcycle and I've been trying to figure out which bike to get for it. Not getting rid of the VMax though.

I like all things JH Experience, Band of Gypsies, and Little Richard (LR fired Jimi because, "I can't have anyone prettier than me in the band!":rofl_200:) I have some Isley Bros recordings of Jimi too.

But I think Ginger Baker is probably also considered to be one of the best. Seen the recent documentary on him? Great shots and an historical record of his achievements, failings, and current situation. It's sad, really, a graphic evidence of what substance abuse can do to you.

Buddy Rich was well-respected among fellow drummers, too.

Neal Pert has done good for motorcycling, like Ewan Macgregor, raising consciousness among non-motorcyclists of our interests.

+1 for RUSH. I'm a huge fan as well.
And +5 to Neil Peart being (IMHO) second to none.

I think it has to do with the cost of the bike and the type of people that own them. While all of us woud simply replace a taillight bulb, a lt of guys that have BMWs might thake it to the dealership. Same goes for something shaking loose. With the service call (at a BMW or Harley Dealer) being under $200, it can't take much more then an hour to fix.

I respect all the drummers others have mentioned, especially Bonzo, but for me Neil is my favorite. He's the only drummer that still gives me goose bumps even when I've heard the song 100+ times. And it's never with his solos... it's always with his percussive arrangements with the music. La Villia Strangiato is a shining example for me. Another drummer that was a huge influence for me and my drumming was Stuart Copeland of The Police.

I think it has to do with the cost of the bike and the type of people that own them. While all of us woud simply replace a taillight bulb, a lt of guys that have BMWs might thake it to the dealership. Same goes for something shaking loose. With the service call (at a BMW or Harley Dealer) being under $200, it can't take much more then an hour to fix.

+1.... I gotta agree ..

Back