Coolant leaks through hole in pump

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madmax1961

Reaction score
There is a small hole on the bottom of the water pump that has coolant spilling out it.
Any ideas? Is this hole perhaps supposed to be plugged? :ummm:

Attachments

• pump.jpg
    pump.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 82
That's a weep hole and should not be plugged. It's letting you know your waterpump seal is leaking and it's time to replace. I would replace the bearing, oil seal and mechanical seals. Might as well replace the o-ring on each end of the coolant elbow too.

Time to rebuild the pump. It starts leaking when the bearing gets wear. So new seal set plus bearing. Or new pump.

Sean

Thanks! :punk:
I'll probably buy a new pump... a crappy lifespan of only 7000 miles. :hmmm:

More than likely the waterpump seal and or mechanical seal..be careful when replacing...ANY little scratch on it will cause a leak..when i replaced my pump seal I did't push it in all the way but let the pressure from part assembly aid in keeping the seal tight..

Off topic but in Phoenix ATM (actually a bit north). Damn it's hot ..113 yesterday

Here's what you need:
1FK-12420-20-00 Water pump ass'y. $175
OR:
1FK-12420-20-00 Mechanical seal $15
93101-10090-00 Oil seal $3.70
93306-00004-00 Bearing $15
93210-27778-00 O-Ring $6.70 (need two)

Prices are from Ron Ayers...think Mondak might be a little cheaper.

Whoa! Thanks for this. I'll order the replacement parts and I'll be careful when installing. :clapping::eusa_dance:

Whoa! Thanks for this. I'll order the replacement parts and I'll be careful when installing. :clapping::eusa_dance:

Iceland? I bet it's not 113?F in Iceland... lol

Not sure if you know it, but your water pump seal and bearing probably need replaced...

:rofl_200::rofl_200:

Opps!! Forgot a couple things:
3JP-12449-02-00-Water pump gasket $4.99
93211-16591-00-O-ring for outer cover $5.30 (this is prolly OK but for $5.........might as well get it)

Iceland? I bet it's not 113?F in Iceland... lol

Not sure if you know it, but your water pump seal and bearing probably need replaced...

:rofl_200::rofl_200:
Well no, I only had about a 74? today...and that's a jolly good day! :eusa_dance:

And Dannymax, thanks again.

Well no, I only had about a 74? today...and that's a jolly good day! :eusa_dance:

And Dannymax, thanks again.

No problem Madmax! It's not a bad job at all, just did it a couple months ago on my '06. Plan on mixing up a new batch of coolant and an oil & filter change at the same time.

PM me if you have any questions.

Funny, mine has weeped since new. Very intermittent. Never lost a measurable amount of coolant.

My 07 weeps just enough to leave a white residue on the exhaust. I haven't lost a measurable amount of coolant would you recommend the rebuild anyway?

My 07 weeps just enough to leave a white residue on the exhaust. I haven't lost a measurable amount of coolant would you recommend the rebuild anyway?

Welcome azrich! Guess it depends on how much the white residue bothers you. My '99 leaked for a long time before I finally took care of it....just a couple drops now and then, or sometimes nothing.

My '07 has weeped a bit, enough to leave a stain or more since new. Those damned mechanical seals can have a tendency to weep now and then, even after you replace it very carefully...

G Man

Thanks for the quick response. I cleaned it off awhile ago and just noticed was back. I ride 100 miles a day and was going to shut the bike down till i could order the parts and have it repaired. After not riding one day I can already feel the stress level difference at work and so can my coworkers! I think I will ride until the parts come in Bike Week starts on Friday :)

No reason to park the bike....it usually only leaks as it's going thru a warm up or cool down cycle and not while you're riding.

Another source of minor leakage during warm up/cool down cycles is the drain cock valve. Mine leaks a bit when I move it inside to a warmer temp. for a while then stops. Just ordered a new assembly to have on hand just in case it starts again after replacing the o-rings in the valve.

Mine used to do that but then started coating the o-rings with a dab of Vasoline and haven't had a coolant leak in several years....unless you count the times I change the coolant. :)

Latest posts

Back