cosidering parting out my bike

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
waterloo,iowa.
sorry about last night. was a little worked up. i obviously need to research more of this before i try make prices on anything.
it was my first thought to try and pull the motor and fix the third gear issue. the more i think about how hard that could end up i get discouraged. i have always worked on cars not bikes and have been worried that if i pull it i'll mess it up and never get it back together.

if you do part it out id be interested in the front right plastic v- cover where the key goes.

If you do decide to fix it, there are many people here that can give you good advise and moral support :) I am only 45 minutes south of you in Center Point myself, and could help with the pull and install of the motor if needed. Its mostly a one man job, but two sets of hands are much nicer to have when the heart of the beast is going in or out of the frame.

Talk to Sean Morley about the parts you will need, as well as a couple of upgrades you should take care of while your in the motor.

I'll pm you my mobile # if you want to talk about the procedure, tools needed, advice or a second set of hands :)

Don't know the level of your disability but I rebuild and part out Vmaxes exclusively, no other bikes. Parting out is not as easy as one might think. If you are parting to make money, everything should be cleaned ans inspected to get decent price for parts. It's not that unbolting a bike apart is so bad but it takes quite a bit of space and time. Only certain things sell and often times you are left with a pile miscellaneous that you can't give away! If you needed to ask if this is a worthwhile endeavour, I'd weigh the age, condition and options as the primary deciding factors. An 86 with a motor that needs split to repair, I'd suggest you sell it as a whole big and disclose it's issues. My neck of the woods, one could exoect to sell it for $1,000 to $1,250.
There are clean mid to late 90s bikes very clean and running but with a similar motor issue. Bikes with no issues but early 90s and older can be had for $2,000-$2,500.
Hope that gives you a few ideas of what you might be looking at.

Never called, so I have not talked to him. It appears however that he is trying to sell it outright...
http://waterloo.craigslist.org/mcy/3285754360.html

sorry i didnt call you. just had another procedure done on my lower spine and haven't been up to much. i did post up the bike but didnt expect to hear much. another member on here just contacted me with a transmission just waiting to hear the price. if it's a good deal i may start tearing into it and see what happens

I have lower back issues as well. I have no idea if our medical problems are similar , but I could suggest the following-
- given the current economic conditions, consider hanging onto your Max. You won't get too much for it, "as is", parting it out is labor-intensive, maybe not worth it to you, all things considered.
- you say that the transmission problems are not so serious, only occur when the bike is cold - learn to live with it. Serious money- and time - involved to fix. Just consider your bike as a "daily driver". Beat it into the ground.
- consider an aftermarket seat, as previously suggested, or re-shaping the stock seat. Could make a world of difference, comfort-wise. Did for me!
- Lose the flat bars. Get Sean or one of the other vendors on this site to fix you up with some higher rise, more pullback style of bars - more "cruiser" like. Again, this worked for me! A lot less strain on the back.
- what really helped me - again I don't know if our problems are similar - has been the addition of forward highway pegs. You could mount them onto the end of your OEM crash guards, lots of ideas for this on this forum. I have found that when I put my feet on mine, the pain and pressure on my lower back immediately dissipates, allowing me to stay in the saddle much longer.
These mods are not expensive to do. Worth a try!
Cheers

sorry i didnt call you. just had another procedure done on my lower spine and haven't been up to much. i did post up the bike but didnt expect to hear much. another member on here just contacted me with a transmission just waiting to hear the price. if it's a good deal i may start tearing into it and see what happens

No worries man :) Hope you get to feeling better soon. Ive been real busy myself lately with the kids back in school, sports, etc. Did Andrews gear drive 26G cams in the bagger yesterday, and finishing the Screamin Eagle Big Bore install on it later today.

My offer still stands if you need advice, or simply a second set of hands for a bit.
Regards,
Rob

Latest posts

Back