Crappy idle - simple fix...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shuriken

Reaction score
A few months ago the Max started running crappy on idle. Had so many things to do and the weather was getting cold, so I just kind of parked the bike and figured I'd need to do the shotgun cleaning the next time the weather warmed up.

A couple of days ago however, it warmed up to over 40f so I moved the bikes out of the garage for some maintenance and generally to just run them a bit. I had the dirt bike idling and then moved over to the Max. Started it up but it would only run with the choke on.

I looked on the ground and noticed a fragment of the rubber nipple caps that plug the vacuum ports on the carbs.... So I remove the chrome H covers and sure enough, #1 and #4 carbs had blown the rubber caps off.... I later went to NAPA and paid $4 dollars for a set of replacement caps.

The problems were fixed. Bike ran again like rabid dog. After 3 months or so of not doing any riding, I forgot how enjoyable this bike is.

Now if only I could find time to upgrade/fix the front end / speed wobble issue....

... so if you don't have the higher quality OEM carb port caps, better plan on replacing the little cheapos every few months. I'd even suggest carrying some with you. They seem to last a few months or so at a time for me, but if you forget about them, it could make for a long ride.

This tip has already been pointed out, so let this just be a reminder...

Back