Crashed Max, Down But Not Out

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickoconn

Reaction score
Greeting From VA,

I write this post with heavy heart and an optimistic outlook. Been saving for a long time to buy my beautiful 2007 VMAx 4 months ago. I have owned many bikes and I can tell you that this is the one for me. There is truly nothing like it and is literally everything i can ask for in a two wheeled machine. That being said, about 2 months into riding I took a turn a little hot and the front washed out while leaning. I am sure I made some mistake but honestly it happened so fast that i could not tell you what it was. Before i knew it, i was planted face first in the pavement sliding on the road then dirt. Lets just say I am fortunate in many ways. At this point i wish to thank my carbon fiber Icon helmet and full armor Vanson jacket. I walked away with a few bruises and a skinned knee. I already ordered some parts starting with the motor, I figured I would get it running before I move forward with the front suspension. I would like to upgrade where i can, I have the whole winter and would like to see this bike more customized to my taste and maybe even perform a bit better if possible.
Any Suggestions?
Thank you in advance for your insight,
Rick (that guy)

Attachments

• DSCF2585.jpg
    DSCF2585.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 69
  • DSCF2586.jpg
    DSCF2586.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 76
  • DSCF2587.jpg
    DSCF2587.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 71
  • DSCF2588.jpg
    DSCF2588.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 66
  • DSCF2589.jpg
    DSCF2589.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 70
  • DSCF2590.jpg
    DSCF2590.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 69
  • DSCF2591.jpg
    DSCF2591.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 67
  • DSCF2593.jpg
    DSCF2593.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 65
  • DSCF2594.jpg
    DSCF2594.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 64
  • DSCF2596.jpg
    DSCF2596.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 63
try to find used parts from members here selling for cheap or free before you pay new prices!

welcome and best of luck with your bikes and (more imporatnly) your recovery.

It sounds like a good excuse to move to a USD front end. I'm glad you were riding with proper gear. Good luck with your project.

Welcome ricko . I lived on the southside of Richmond for 12 years , northside for about 16 , downtown for 6 . Very familar with Midlothian. You have found a great forum for doing whatever your wallet can afford to your Max. Stock , Custom , Drag / Street Racing , Twistie / Handling , etc.

Ask and you will receive. Take your time , parts are out there. :punk:

You need to buy the complete front and rear chassis package I have up for sale. Oh, and by the way - glad to see and hear you made it through ok! I've probably got all the rest of the parts you may need as well.

Sean

first, very glad you are ok
second, welcome to the forum
third, if i were in your shoes i would consider the following:

• exhaust --> supertrap slipons or full-up system
  • stator insert--> clear one
  • scoops--> most aftermarket ones kick ass
  • clutch master cylinder-->replace one that matches 14mm brake master cylinder and upgrade to 4-pot calipers and mod clutch plates stack with do DD, PCW HD, or Barnett springs
  • headlight-->VROD, MT-03 knock-off, or 7" round
  • speedo-->some digital aftermarket
  • forks-->USD, or stock stachions with progressive rate springs and cartridge emulators
  • shifter--> rearsets or frontsets
granted some of the areas i saw are "cosmetic" and for all intents and purposes are seemingly functional, but their rashed up surfaces can open up all kinds of opportunities to upgrade them if you bend the justification accordingly. hahaha

if you're looking to stay stock with some of the parts, put a notice in the "parts wanted" section. the guys here will hook you up. captainkyle and one2dmax are great sources for most anything you will want.

take a look at this for more ideas Any Tips on Mods??

wow, glad to hear your ok man and im sure you will find lots of help here on getting your ride back together. lots of great tech help so ask away.

first, very glad you are ok
second, welcome to the forum
third, if i were in your shoes i would consider the following:

• exhaust --> supertrap slipons or full-up system
  • stator insert--> clear one
  • scoops--> most aftermarket ones kick ass
  • clutch master cylinder-->replace one that matches 14mm brake master cylinder and upgrade to 4-pot calipers and mod clutch plates stack with do DD, PCW HD, or Barnett springs
  • headlight-->VROD, MT-03 knock-off, or 7" round
  • speedo-->some digital aftermarket
  • forks-->USD, or stock stachions with progressive rate springs and cartridge emulators
  • shifter--> rearsets or frontsets
granted some of the areas i saw are "cosmetic" and for all intents and purposes are seemingly functional, but their rashed up surfaces can open up all kinds of opportunities to upgrade them if you bend the justification accordingly. hahaha

if you're looking to stay stock with some of the parts, put a notice in the "parts wanted" section. the guys here will hook you up. captainkyle and one2dmax are great sources for most anything you will want.

take a look at this for more ideas Any Tips on Mods??

Again, I appreciate all of the help and great Ideas,
Ninjaneer,
I def want to go with a 7" headlight, would like to go with something that mounts with little or no fabrication.
As fro the exhaust, i have not looked at the Supertrap but i have been reading a lot about UFO, I would like to start with the slipons but move to the whole system down the road. Im just not sure if i want to rejet my carbs.

I have been looking into the speedos and would like to get something digital with a tach i can actually see when I ride. Is there any specifically made for the Vmax?

The forks look like they are in good shape except for the tubes, would def like to upgrade, I was looking at the UFO triples if mine were bent. Not sure if they are. It would be great to buy a complete front end and sell my spare undamaged parts to recoup some cash. And this may be a stupid question but when people say "Progressive', do they mean stiffer?

And the plastics, I love carbon fiber but I will cross that bridge once the bike is mechanically sound again. Just found out my crank case cover is on back order and will have to have it shipped straight from Japan, just more time and money.

Guess I should get used to it.

Welcome ricko . I lived on the southside of Richmond for 12 years , northside for about 16 , downtown for 6 . Very familar with Midlothian. You have found a great forum for doing whatever your wallet can afford to your Max. Stock , Custom , Drag / Street Racing , Twistie / Handling , etc.

Ask and you will receive. Take your time , parts are out there. :punk:

Hey George, big fan of the Southside myself, im off of Hull by Lowes and they are building like crazy. So far this forum has been great, today was my first post and i am already better off then I was this morning.

Rick

I def want to go with a 7" headlight, would like to go with something that mounts with little or no fabrication.
exactrep makes a bolt-on. you can also troll the internet for one with "side-mounts" and then go off and buy some mounts that clamp to the forks (this is something I, myself, am considering...that or slicken up the front with my aforementioned suggestions)
7inch-headlight-click.jpg

As fro the exhaust, i have not looked at the Supertrap but i have been reading a lot about UFO, I would like to start with the slipons but move to the whole system down the road. Im just not sure if i want to rejet my carbs.
i'm not sure 'bout the UFOs--simply cuz i haven't research their slipons. if you haven't browsed the forum enough yet, be forewarned that you will come to the realization that although some guys run UFO stuff, the company isn't very well-liked by the members in general. just going on the members' opinions, if you go slip-ons supertrap is the way to go and stay away from cobras--that is of course, UFO slip-ons aren't comprable, in which case go with your gut. ask the forum about UFO slipons, I'm sure the folks here will love to share their opinions.

I have been looking into the speedos and would like to get something digital with a tach i can actually see when I ride. Is there any specifically made for the Vmax?
specially made...hmm. this is the one that is high on my list: . COO makes one I believe, but beware, once you go to his website, your Monkey will go absolutely bonkers at all of the possible gauges---drooooollll. there's a thread somewhere in the forum, in which a bunch of talked about speedos and tachs. i'll have to hunt it down.
{edit}
here ya go. around post #17 we start talking about tachs and such. http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=17335
incidentally enough, the guy who started the thread, FootNote, also wrecked his Max :-(
{/edit}

The forks look like they are in good shape except for the tubes, would def like to upgrade, I was looking at the UFO triples if mine were bent. Not sure if they are. It would be great to buy a complete front end and sell my spare undamaged parts to recoup some cash. And this may be a stupid question but when people say "Progressive', do they mean stiffer?
stiffer? well not necessarily, although the ones that are frequently installed by the forum members (made by Progressive Suspension) happen to be stiffer than stock. by the term "progressive rate", the best way i can explain it is that the space between each of a spring's coil slowly lessens as you go from one side to the other--depending on which side you start on hahahahaha

{edit}
here's a good pic of regular vs. progressive rates
1312077stockspringvseibach_1A.jpg
{/edit}

And the plastics, I love carbon fiber but I will cross that bridge once the bike is mechanically sound again. Just found out my crank case cover is on back order and will have to have it shipped straight from Japan, just more time and money.
Guess I should get used to it.
know what you mean. i curse the day i bolted-on my first mod--from then on, the Mod Monkey has been relentless. TYGA USA offers about carbon kits, as well as Exactrepamong others

UFO doesn't make slip ons. Full exhaust only. LOUD.
Dale Walker Holeshot are nice pipes
Marks Pipes makes nice vmax pipes
Kerker is great as well. Say goodbye to the centerstand forever though.
If you gotta buy exhaust I wouldn't waste money on slip ons.
Most likely, you're gonna have to open the carbs to clean them after the bike sits thru winter unless you put fuel stabilizer in the tank and ran it thru the carbs. So, if you're already there, might as well rejet. No big deal, its pretty easy.

Progressive is a brand name. Progressive is also a type of spring. There are straight rate/linear springs and progressive wound springs.

Straight rate springs compress from top to bottom at the same rate.
Progressive springs get progressively harder to compress the further they are compressed.

If you plan on using your triples, I would be checking them and the steering stem for any damage. Looks like they took a beating.

Also might want to inspect the down tubes on the frame. The ones that are by either side of the radiator. Seems like a common area for damage after a crash.

I would be looking at used or aftermarket parts. You'll save a ton of money! Plenty of options for everything you need.

I have a front end off a 96 model complete triple trees and all rebuilt with progressive springs and new seals $ 300 plus shipping only thing is the 96 dont have the little deflectors by the seals other than that its the same.

I have a front end off a 96 model complete triple trees and all rebuilt with progressive springs and new seals $ 300 plus shipping only thing is the 96 dont have the little deflectors by the seals other than that its the same.

That is a good deal if you don't have the coin to move up to USD . :clapping:

Yep. That's a good deal from Kyle. I have a 2002 front end with 1100 miles on it as well as a few others. I wouldn't be that cheap and there isn't any appreciable difference (other then the guards on the 02 forks like yours).

Sean

Glad you didn't get hurt. Sad to see the 07 in that shape! Sean (one2dmax) has a set of 06/07 bodywork for sale. Good luck with the rebuilding!!

Center Stand?

OK, haven't even really started wrenching yet and i think i messed up. Just bought a really nice motorcycle jack stand. I was about to jack it up and noticed that the pipes run below the frame as does the oil pan. Did i just buy a 200lb paper weight or can I somehow use this? I read another thread and someone said the pipes are strong enough. Still seems like a lot of weight.

Thanks,
Rick

pipes are plenty strong enough. what kind of pipes do you have?

Back