Creative XV920 Virago

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
An interesting take on a early 1980's cruiser. I owned one of these in stock condition at one point. It has good proportions and execution. I normally do not like 'bobbed' bikes but this is much-better than the typical butchery that passes for a bobber.

The starter was a problem on these.

http://thebikeshed.cc/2014/01/09/colins-82-virago/

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 48
I bought an 82 new in the crate as a left-over in 85 for $2000 out the door. List was $3700. Lots of great deals in those days due to the market collapsing for a couple years. Many dealers went out of business then.

Rode it around town as it was an easy, relaxed, comfortable ride. More like a standard than a cruiser as far as ergonomics were concerned. Had a cool electronic instrument panel. Only had it for 2 years as the starter started giving me trouble. For speed and excitement, I rode my 85 Suzuki GS1150E.

I've had an XV750 (Virago) before which was actually pretty good fun which I customized, I sold it a few years ago.
I still have enough spare motors and frames etc to build one from scratch.

I also have an XV1000 otherwise known as a TR1 which are getting rare, it has an enclosed chain drive. All these models XV +++ models despite the revisions had the shittiest starter systems known to mankind.

I"ll keep all the original parts and won't throw anything away but I will customize it almost identical to this style as I like it....

virago.jpg

I have never read anything really good about the 920, I understand they had a starter issue that required case splitting to fix. They're also pretty daggum' ugly in stock forum, but that custom bike looks better. I see them listed on Craigslist regulary for CHEAP.

That's why I got rid of mine, it had the starter issue. I rode it a bit before I decided I didn't want to spend the $$ to have it fixed. Another guy I knew w/one figured out how to fix it once you replaced the ring gear, which still required splitting the cases, so it wouldn't happen in the future. It adapted the Gen II Virago starter system to the Gen I case, it required the Gen II side cover, and I think the starter too. There was a thin large-dia ring spacer required to align the Hall-effect ignition sensor that had to be fabricated to make it work, as I recall. I never did the 'fix,' but I collected most of the parts to do it, which I still have in a box. He took great delight in being next to another Gen I Virago owner, and listening while that guy would pray his bike would start, w/the 'can of rocks' sound, and then he would cheerfully start it up and motor-away.

The bike handled well, and I liked the engine's looks, which I think is enhanced in these 'bobber-style' bikes. I also had the electronic instruments, LCD's.

Another acquaintance had the chain-drive one he bought new when he was a Yamaha employee. He put over 100,000 miles on it.

I have never read anything really good about the 920, I understand they had a starter issue that required case splitting to fix. They're also pretty daggum' ugly in stock forum, but that custom bike looks better. I see them listed on Craigslist regulary for CHEAP.

An interesting take on a early 1980's cruiser. I owned one of these in stock condition at one point. It has good proportions and execution. I normally do not like 'bobbed' bikes but this is much-better than the typical butchery that passes for a bobber.

The starter was a problem on these.

http://thebikeshed.cc/2014/01/09/colins-82-virago/

Very cool adaptation!

I've seen the one in Jedi's post in person at the Vintage Weekend at Barbara Motosports. It was one my favorite bikes that I saw there. I'd love to make/own one.

982_0128.jpg

Every one I was around had "the problem" I had a 700 for 10 years, it always sounded like it marbles were engaging the ring gear. There were miracle fixes, I tried a couple and they helped. I heard a brand new one on the showroom floor that sounded bad.

Latest posts

Back