Critical Mass Yet Again - ‘90 Gen1

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Exito! A good job on the pilot jet. I always feel good when things happen without 'issues.'

I saw Deep Purple a couple of times, and have their vinyl. Always a good time. That's a good choice.

I heard one of the few bands still playing from that era, on the radio today, Wishbone Ash. I saw them live back in the early '70's, in FL. This song is one of my favorites by them. Andy Powell with his 1960's Gibson Flying V, and Ted Turner with his Fender Stratocaster made two lead guitars a thing.

First ever concert was Paice Ashton & Lord 1977 who were previously in Deep Purple.
About 16 years ago while spending allot of time in Houston I would head to Conroe as there were rock concerts there, and head over to Austin for more of the same. Fantastic days, wish I was still over there.
Just the last few months i’ve been listening to Lead Zepplin again, and found out just 2 days ago my brother in law has Led Zep 2 on vinyl with a special additional track that was not on the standard version, so i’m building myself up to borrowing this (hopefully).
Do you know what really gets me is that the guys of that era could really play guitar, and never learned it from the internet. I would sit for days rewinding and fast forwarding c90 tapes & destroying vinyl records lifting the needle up and down, trying to pick out notes on guitar. I gave up on certain songs, and now find myself many years on revisiting them.
Loved the 70’s & 80’s rock of UK and US it just does not leave a person.
Like DM i’ve got an ear worm right now playing David Bowie songs with Mick Ronson on guitar, its driving me mad but i cannot stop the songs in my head.

Like DM i’ve got an ear worm right now playing David Bowie songs with Mick Ronson on guitar, its driving me mad but i cannot stop the songs in my head.

Could be worse. Could be "Dancing Queen" by Abba...

my first concert was Led Zeppelin in St Louis in 1977. thanks to an older brother that brought his 12 year old little brother along. Concert sold out in 4 hours with a limit of 2 tickets per person. If I recall, people were camped out for days. Crazy.

My first concert was. AC/DC and UFO.
May 1979 veterans auditorium. Des moines Iowa. ( Bon Scott was still the lead singer)
Told my folks.I was going to the mall.

My first concert was. AC/DC and UFO.
May 1979 veterans auditorium. Des moines Iowa. ( Bon Scott was still the lead singer)
Told my folks.I was going to the mall.
Seen AC/DC a couple of times now, both in Glasgow where Angus comes from, what a concert that is, the crowd are right in there. I especially like the video from shook me all night long as it was from the east end of Glasgow. All males should be familiar with this video 😀

AC/DC - You Shook Me All Night Long (Official Video – Who Made Who)

Well, not that this musical diversion has not been entertaining, but there’s the matter of this ‘90 Gen1 Vmax that I am dealing with...

I am not even finished with the carburetors on this thing yet…more on that in a minute... and I am finding more stuff that needs to be tended.

Some are so avoidable. The Vmax is not the only aging Japanese Motorcycle that runs a lot of current through the 3-conductor stator connector. An occasional separation of that connection, cleaning and dielectric grease keeps contaminants out and corrosion at bay. Apparently, the previous owners of this machine did not get the memo. It is quite possible that poor charging performance is the reason this motorcycle has been sitting for eight years:
E42E4BFE-8B9F-4D00-820B-5FED0B4269C7.jpeg
This junction will need to be completely reworked with a new connector block on both ends and possibly fresh wire if the existing harness is not long enough to make ends meet.

Meanwhile, on the carburetor front, aside from the state they were in when I pulled the rack above, the mangled pilot jet has been removed, and similar difficulties were encountered with the mixture screws. At first glance I was mortified at what I might have had on hand:
BC151B47-DA55-435D-AFE7-8391DBC00F88.jpeg
165A1D42-D90A-427D-9678-3D297F7A8E21.jpeg
Luckily, the sheet metal screws in those plastic sleeves, were just the previous owners rendition of the OEM brass plug. Nonetheless, I still have two mixture screws that are jammed down in the bore and I’m in the process of trying to extricate them.

Pray for me.

Last edited:
Many bike owners solder the stator wires instead of replacing the connector- I'm like you....I want to find the right connector and replace it.

Let's hope the unorthodox pilot screw plugs are the worst of what's to come!

I still have two mixture screws that are jammed down in the bore and I’m in the process of trying to extricate them.
Can I ask you D_M;
when you drilled out the brass mixture screw with a L/H drill bit, did you use an old bit or new bit. I'm asking this as I've never used the L/H drill bit method and it sounds like it works a treat. But when I've drilled brass previously with a new drill bit the brass pulls the bit right in fast, where if the bit is a bit worn the bit gradually goes in. I don't want to try it without asking this question incase I tear mine up before getting it out and making the situation worse.

Also last year I cut the tube away from around the a/f screw, cut a slot in the a/f screw head, and then used oxy/acetylene to gradually get the screw out, but it was a very long winded method and was still very hard work.

Thanks for your help if you get time to answer.

When I used my L-H drill bit to extricate an air bleed screw, it was a new bit. The combination of the vibration and heat, with the brass being 'bit' as the drill bit ate-into the screw, is enough to break-free the brass piece, when used with a penetrant liquid. That's my supposition, anyway.

I have connectors/pins

Attachments

• PXL_20201226_213428610.jpg
    PXL_20201226_213428610.jpg
    302.9 KB · Views: 19
When I used my L-H drill bit to extricate an air bleed screw, it was a new bit. The combination of the vibration and heat, with the brass being 'bit' as the drill bit ate-into the screw, is enough to break-free the brass piece, when used with a penetrant liquid. That's my supposition, anyway.
Your suppostion is much better than the one I don't have, sounds good, thanks allot. 😀

...and you're a lot better off using FM's supposition than mine.

This is not a technique I've used much. A couple of broken bolts in the past and the pilot jet above. It would certainly seem that a fresh bit would bite quicker which is exactly what you want.. Worked for me - and the bit was essentially new.

I am only a hobbyist, people like Sean Morley, dannymax, and CaptainKyle are the ones making their 'bread' at this stuff. Listen to them for the professional opinions.

I am only a hobbyist, people like Sean Morley, dannymax, and CaptainKyle are the ones making their 'bread' at this stuff. Listen to them for the professional opinions.
There is no disadvantage being a ‘hobbyist’. I’m an elec eng and at least every couple of weeks someone (young or old) comes along and surprises me with points of view I would not have thought of. I tend to listen to everyone and make my own mind up from there.
So thanks for the reply as it’s a very important method of taking a stuck a/f screw out. Over the years i’ve burst quite a few new drill bits on brass, and would take the edge off them to stop them biting in hard, but using them blunt does not mean that works on removing an a/f screw.
So i’ll work on your method, and thanks again, your time is appreciated.

Being a hobbyist with a passion for something is what keeps us alive. Whether it be classic motorcycles, raising Fish, collecting coins, astronomy or gardening. I prefer classic Motorcycles myself. (although I’ve been known to dabble in all of the above).

Meanwhile, the carburetor saga continues on this 90 Vmax. I have a couple of minor odds and ends coming courtesy of Mr. Morley. And not long ago I picked up four sets of a very cheap rebuild kit on a whim because everything, and I mean everything was included. Brass and rubber.

Yes, I know the brass is probably crap. But I actually have borrowed a couple of the pieces and I won’t tell you which ones. From what I can tell, the O-rings, gaskets and diaphragms will be fine. Used a bunch of the O-rings already.

But I can tell you what is definitely NOT fine in this kit. You tell me, what is wrong with this picture?

57F5B6EE-A195-4428-8C50-3778A0BD1DA1.jpeg

Attachments

• 904CF02B-4DF7-4421-A147-E30A94EA72B9.jpeg
    904CF02B-4DF7-4421-A147-E30A94EA72B9.jpeg
    190 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Thread pitch is incorrect !

Also might be the angle of the picture, but overall length of the screw looks shorter on the "new" one.

Yeah, that pitch is way off. I didn't even check the length because there was no way I would even try to thread that thing down into the body. Luckily, I didn't need it. I was just shocked at how far off that thread pitch was.
Almost a 2-1 difference!

if you turned that one out 3 times on any bike it would nearly fall out :oops:

Yeah, that pitch is way off. I didn't even check the length because there was no way I would even try to thread that thing down into the body. Luckily, I didn't need it. I was just shocked at how far off that thread pitch was.
Almost a 2-1 difference!
Just as well you noticed that, what a time consuming mess that could have been.

Latest posts

Back