D&D clutch ????

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
from what others have said and by evan's scale a PCW is probably around 175%

I was looking at PCW for my 06 as well. The goal is just a little smoother shifting and making neutral a bit less stubborn to find. Stock seems weak in that I blow by neutral repeatedly every so often and have to scootch the bike around to mesh the gears to find it a lot more than I'm accustomed to.

Is the stronger clutch plate the right way to go for this purpose?

I was looking at PCW for my 06 as well. The goal is just a little smoother shifting and making neutral a bit less stubborn to find. Stock seems weak in that I blow by neutral repeatedly every so often and have to scootch the bike around to mesh the gears to find it a lot more than I'm accustomed to.

Is the stronger clutch plate the right way to go for this purpose?

No.
The PCW spring won't help you find N any easier.

Well balls. What can I do that will smooth out shifting? Outside of a new transmission...

i found new oil change, also chg the clutch master fluid and even the slave unit overhaul all helped my issue of finding neutral. overhaul on the clutch master also(must have been worn a bit) all these things all added up to making it 99% good now. I do have the DD mod and love it. Have the PCW on another bike and its good, better then stock for sure. more feel to the lever.....

Overhaul meaning just taking it apart and cleaning or actually rebuilding with new seals and what not? If so, is there a convenient seal kit available for the job? I plan to get some SS lines in place so if I can handle that while I'm already going through yet another annoying bleed process I'd like to do it.

:edit:
So the consensus is that the stock clutch slips sometimes when you're beating on the bike, and as design goes that's OK as it's cheaper to replace the clutch every so often than it is pushing the problem down the line. I can see the issue for guys on the strip having a slip totally hose their run, but aside from a firmer lever any reason for a street purposed bike to bother? I've had the clutch slip on me once from 2 > 3 after a vboost to the redline. It bothered me a bit but I haven't had the problem since I bled the system out. Is that common? Bike only has 4k miles on it but the PO was a bit of a tard I think. Should I be overly concerned?

Unless your '06 was neglected it should not need overhauled.

Not much you can do about finding N. Keep the oil clean, keep the clutch fluid fresh and properly bled and everything in good shape. Try hitting N from 2nd while your still moving. Seems a lot easier to me when I come up to a red light. Other than that, if you are in 1st and looking for N, try to let the clutch out just a touch and feel it grab slightly then pull it back in and try to shift up. Helps sometimes.

Not much to do about smooth shifts other than practice. A diaphragm spring and hydraulic actuation have a different feel as compared to a cable and coil springs.

2000 miles from the PO in 6 years. Probably the original fluid and judging by the rear pad that was worn to nothing and the front calipers that were sticking like crazy I think this was his first bike, and he only ever used rear brake.

All fluids were assumed to be what it came with from the dealer in 06 and have been flushed/replaced/bled/as appropriate. No telling what sort of shifting was done on it before I put another 2k on it this Fall when I got it.

Have you tried different engine oils? Quite a few of us have great luck with Shell Rotella 15w40.

T or dyno? I just have the jug o Yamy branded 20w40 in it because I couldn't be bothered to look into cheaper alternatives that were well recommended. Like I said... big priority was making sure the oil in there wasn't from 06!

I use the rotella T also. I haven't really noticed any difference between it or the Yamaha oil aside from the cost of rotella being much cheaper.

i hate to slam the moderator gavel but lets not get into an oil thread please!

I couldn't agree more. I'd rat here replace a clutch then 2nd gear anyway.
Evan I'm 240 pounds but I don't do the wheelies. Been there done that with my R1 and other sport bikes. Lol

yah, about that. with the DD and second gear, you just kept it at 25 - 30 mph, rev her way up and dump the clutch. shed leave 5 feet of rubber and yank the front end up hard about 18" hold on to the throttle and ride it out. im sure that was a major contributor to the teeth eating shit on my 2nd gear... ya think?

lol, and that scale I remembered it on another thread around here, im sure I can find it if you guys want...

peace,
evan....

yah, about that. with the DD and second gear, you just kept it at 25 - 30 mph, rev her way up and dump the clutch. shed leave 5 feet of rubber and yank the front end up hard about 18" hold on to the throttle and ride it out. im sure that was a major contributor to the teeth eating shit on my 2nd gear... ya think?

lol, and that scale I remembered it on another thread around here, im sure I can find it if you guys want...

peace,
evan....

Evan I think we would get into a lot of trouble riding together all the time. But once in awhile might not hurt lol. Wish you lives closer. Lol

starting with a fluid change and bleeding after your ss lines and see how it goes, new fluid and good bleeding should help.
they do have kits for the slave and the master, think both around the 20-25 buck mark and easy to do..,,, but ya if your bike not old then might be ok.

as garrett said not getting into oil thread as there is lots on the forum for you to look at.....but dyno here hahahha(sorry garrett lol)

Evan I think we would get into a lot of trouble riding together all the time. But once in awhile might not hurt lol. Wish you lives closer. Lol

the local LEOs around here know my bike. I think its one of the loudest in the city... (under full snap) no problems yet tho.

I really do enjoy pissing around with the bike. every year starts with a new rear tire, by boiling off the old one. I film and post every year. I really like coming out of corners somewhat sideways smoking the tire, BUT it bit me last aug, I got too far and highsided. left the bike somewhat ugly looking but drivable nonetheless.

if people that ride like me, ride with me... its the greatest show in the world... ill have to film it man!!

knowing you are somewhat like me, my personal suggestion is to replace all of the fibres, not the steels (inspect them tho, they should be good), and remove the half fibre disk at the very back and replace with a full one. let a 60 doller set of fibre disks be the part of the bike that takes the beating, not a driveshaft, ujoint, or at worst, the trans. its an UGLY fucking job to fix the trans if you aren't so inclined...

peace,
evan...

the local LEOs around here know my bike. I think its one of the loudest in the city... (under full snap) no problems yet tho.

I really do enjoy pissing around with the bike. every year starts with a new rear tire, by boiling off the old one. I film and post every year. I really like coming out of corners somewhat sideways smoking the tire, BUT it bit me last aug, I got too far and highsided. left the bike somewhat ugly looking but drivable nonetheless.

if people that ride like me, ride with me... its the greatest show in the world... ill have to film it man!!

knowing you are somewhat like me, my personal suggestion is to replace all of the fibres, not the steels (inspect them tho, they should be good), and remove the half fibre disk at the very back and replace with a full one. let a 60 doller set of fibre disks be the part of the bike that takes the beating, not a driveshaft, ujoint, or at worst, the trans. its an UGLY fucking job to fix the trans if you aren't so inclined...

peace,
evan...

I'm actually not that tough on her I like to drive fast and I like burnouts. Just want to do it as preventative maintenance more than anything cause I don't want to ruin the trans. My bike only has like 9,500 miles on her so I'm just looking ahead. Can't wait to try out my new radials this spring. Actually it's suppose to be 55 degrees this Sunday I may take her for a blast.

Back