D&D clutch ????

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mckzx9

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm looking into updating my clutch. I'm not to familiar with this mod so I'm wondering what the pros and cons are.
Also which one would you suggest? D&D or Barnett or any others I may have not heard about.

I have a 2006 with just over 9,000 miles. I have a Morley jet kit marks 4-2 exhaust and carrezzera rims with a notched and breached swing arm and a 200 tire in the rear.
I guess this monkey is still on my back.
Any help or suggestions would greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Mark

The Double D mod works well & a lot of people use it but its pretty stiff. As far as me personally I like the PCW spring its inbetween stock & the double d & is very reasonably priced.

Pro: grips like a gorilla
Con: grips like a gorilla. More susceptible to break a driveshaft. Harder lever
Both are cake to install. Pcw is easier than dd though.

Read this VMax Clutch Guide (Including info on doing the DD Mod):
http://vmax.lvlhead.com/tips/clutch.htm

Personally I did the Barnett 6 Spring Clutch conversion and I'm very happy with it.
It grabs well, shifts Smoothly and the lever pull is only slightly harder than Stock.

I'm looking into updating my clutch. I'm not to familiar with this mod so I'm wondering what the pros and cons are.
Also which one would you suggest? D&D or Barnett or any others I may have not heard about.

I have a 2006 with just over 9,000 miles. I have a Morley jet kit marks 4-2 exhaust and carrezzera rims with a notched and breached swing arm and a 200 tire in the rear.
I guess this monkey is still on my back.
Any help or suggestions would greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Mark

My bike has the DD in it, if you remember how the lever felt. I used a second
OEM spring with some miles on it. I'm used to the pull and like the fact that my clutch never slips. I wouldn't hesitate to use the kit from PCW either. It comes with everything needed Bro. Let me know if I can assist.
Steve-o

mark, if you're keeping your stock master do a PCW. i think you'll be very happy.

if you want to upgrade to an FJR or similar bore master, a DD is the way to go.

my $.02.

I went with PCW kit. I installed it myself, with help from the past threads. I use it for street and drags, and I'm real happy with it.

Thanks guys yeah Garrett I'm keeping my masters so I guess I will go pcw kit. Steve o I definitely will need your assistance lol. Hope this will quiet the monkey down for now. Either that or my wife is gonna find the monkey and shoot it lol

Thanks guys yeah Garrett I'm keeping my masters so I guess I will go pcw kit. Steve o I definitely will need your assistance lol. Hope this will quiet the monkey down for now. Either that or my wife is gonna find the monkey and shoot it lol

A little slip is good for the tranny, cases and ujoint. If you believe in murphy and his law a used driveshaft is never a bad thing to have handy. First thing I did after upgrading my clutch. Plus with the pcw kit you could sell or good karma your plate for someone to do the dd.

Anytime Bro. Order the PCW kit and we'll get her done. Garrett, wouldn't an inverted fork set-up would look good on his bike ? :biglaugh:
Steve-o

Last edited:
Heres a word of advice, from a guy who broke his bike with 8000 kms on it.

how do you ride?
do you shift softly and accelerate moderately to fast some of the time? then yes this is for you.

or do you do burnouts and shift really aggressively a lot? drive the bike hard as it was intended to? ALOT? if so id say go with the Barnett and not the dd as I tore 2nd gear out of the bike messing around.

The idea is the clutch is the weak/wear point of the bike. I have stock spring with the full last disk. I feel replacing the fibres every few years will be beneficial instead of replacing a busted gear again...

the feel of the heavy clutch was AWESOME!!! its very solid and cheap/easy to do. but if you are a hooligan that is aggressive, id say you are in for some fixes down the road.

I believe the % of hold goes like this.
100% stock clutch
120% stock clutch with 7th whole disk installed
150% Barnett clutch
200% Double D
220% Double D + whole 7th disk

I had the dd + disk

Good luck dude its easy to do.

peace,
evan...

Last edited:
mark, if you're keeping your stock master do a PCW. i think you'll be very happy.

if you want to upgrade to an FJR or similar bore master, a DD is the way to go.

my $.02.

What are the bore dia. for the FJR & stock master?

Gary

Heres a word of advice, from a guy who broke his bike with 8000 kms on it.

how do you ride?
do you shift softly and accelerate moderately to fast some of the time? then yes this is for you.

or do you do burnouts and shift really aggressively a lot? drive the bike hard as it was intended to? ALOT? if so id say go with the Barnett and not the dd as I tore 2nd gear out of the bike messing around.

The idea is the clutch is the weak/wear point of the bike. I have stock spring with the full last disk. I feel replacing the fibres every few years will be beneficial instead of replacing a busted gear again...

the feel of the heavy clutch was AWESOME!!! its very solid and cheap/easy to do. but if you are a hooligan that is aggressive, id say you are in for some fixes down the road.

I believe the % of hold goes like this.
100% stock clutch
120% stock clutch with 7th whole disk installed
150% Barnett clutch
200% Double D
220% Double D + whole 7th disk

I had the dd + disk

Good luck dude its easy to do.

peace,
evan...
Yes Evan I ride like a hooligan. Hole shots and shift in high rpms. So I'd rather be safe than sorry thanks for your comments.

I beat the ever living shit out of my bike. 2nd gear wheelies, loooooooooong rolling burnouts, powerslides out of corners. (those 2nd gear wheelies are fun tho-im 250lbs) But just so hard on the bike. I lost 2 months of summer riding due to that problem. if I would have just beat on the bike and let the clutch wear out like it was supposed to....

read on
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=18492

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=19477
post 17 for pics...

Im not saying its a bad mod. it does what its supposed to, BUT, for the right person.

peace,
evan...

^ I agree 100%.
I have said in many posts on this same topic, that doing the DD Mod transfers extra Stress to the rest of the Drive Train.
I personally absolutely prefer to wear out a clutch than have to deal with a Bad 2nd Gear.

Back