dial for rear suspension...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghostntheshell

Reaction score
While spending a few mind sitting on brand-new-to-me Vmax today, I looked her over and noticed the dial on the suspension in the rear.

the left is set to 4 and the right is set to 3

I figure they are to adjust for the weight of the rider / passenger and such.

Can anyone explain this to me?

also - I am wondering if maybe the left or right shock was stronger than the other - and therefore explaining why they were set differently.

Help a newbie out! :p
________
Subaru Exiga

Last edited:
While spending a few mind sitting on brand-new-to-me Vmax today, I looked her over and noticed the dial on the suspension in the rear.

the left is set to 4 and the right is set to 3

I figure they are to adjust for the weight of the rider / passenger and such.

Can anyone explain this to me?

also - I am wondering if maybe the left or right shock was stronger than the other - and therefore explaining why they were set differently.

Help a newbie out! :p

1 - minimum (soft)
5 - maximum (hard)

It depends on how and where you ride .
I have mine on 1 when its just me , two up 2 or 3 .
Shocks are both even as far as i know .

Download yourself a Owners Manual from the links section . :punk:

Left and Right side should be set the same.

I set the top adjusment to 2
The bottom adjustment I have been leaving at 4 lately

Best bet is to play around and see what you like. Road conditions will make a difference too.

To be honest, I don't notice much difference when adjusting the top of the stock shock.

...I am wondering if maybe the left or right shock was stronger than the other - and therefore explaining why they were set differently.

They are different because people sometimes fool with the big dials when the bike is parked. Keep an eye on them so they stay the same.

They are the rebound adjustment on the rear shocks. This controls the rebound, or "up" stroke of the chassis. Generally you want the suspension to rebound from a solid push (or bump) and settle back to about fully extended without beginning a second down stroke. However, I don't know that the valving on these shocks is built well enough to make a substantial difference with those 5 adjustable positions.

I ride my Vmax a little differently than many of you because my main bikes are all sportbikes. So I tend to be very aggressive (or attempt to be) on my chassis changes. One of these days I'll find a way to make the chassis do what I want without sacrificing the stock appearance.

Back