different VMX1200 types 86/07

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arlon

Reaction score
Hi,

does anybody know where I can find all the information about the VMX1200 history, updates and improvements over the years.
I just want to get a VMX1200 without the 40mm forks, no prolems with the gearbox etc etc.
Thx in advance

1987 - Second Gear Issue addressed
1990 - Ignition System Upgraded
1993 - 43mm Forks / 298 Front Rotors / 4 Pot Calipers Added
1996 - Spin-on Oil Filter / Slightly different Rear Drive Housing with Shorter Axle Added / Fork Drain Screws removed
1999 - Shift Segment Upgraded
2001 - Fork Seal Guards Added / Slight Damper Rod Change
2003 - Engine Block Slightly Redesigned / Script on Tach/SPeedo/Temp Guage Changed

Info from Here:
http://www.vmaxguru.com/Tech/Gen1/Pages/History/Gen1_History.htm

Have not been to the site in years but vmaxoutlaw.com use to have a tech section on his site that i think covered all the years with updates.

Thx great information and very usefull.
I guess all these modifications and changes are the same for the europe models.
I know now I have to look for at least at a 93 model and up to crack the fork and gear problems.

Thx great information and very usefull.
I guess all these modifications and changes are the same for the europe models.
I know now I have to look for at least at a 93 model and up to crack the fork and gear problems.

'93 is a key year. it is this year where "complete" inter-year parts compatibility is lost. some parts are interchangeable through all years. some parts are only interchangeable between models made from 85-92 (or is it 85-93??) and in the same spirit, some parts are only interchangeable between models made from 93-07 (or is it 94-07???).

Also around 2002/2003 the o-ring issue was addressed with changes to oil pipe.

After a weekend surfing all sorts of sites on the internet I'm going to check out a Carbon/black VMX1200 tomorow morning.
2002 with 18166KM (11.287ML) and looks very well maintained.
For the price of 4.950 euro's (6,547.60 USD) and seems to me a very nice price!!

Keep you up to date....

Mine has newer forks ( off a 99), spin on oil filter , odyssey battery wider sportmax bars and every upgrade possible as the bike improved. Oh yea, To the 10th power.

Do bear in mind that if they are really abused (wheelies, burnouts, drag races in LARGE quantities) then the second gear can also fail on newer models.

Your quite right Naughty!!
Even the best can be broke
But we have to see first of all and genaral condition of the bike can tell you a lot.
Whether is crab overhere today. Rain, wind and low temps so a testdrive is not realy an option with a powerbike like the VMX....
But we will see.

My 2005 had the second gear.issue. Might have been me and a couple bad shifts... Might have been the previous owner... But got it all fixed now.
The number of pickup coils changed at some point too.

Sent from my GT-I9000M using Tapatalk 2

Update,
This afternoon testdrive on the 2002 carbon max
The bike was not as nice as I was expecting to start with.... Lots of alloy corrosion and litlle rust on the crome parts. But wurst of all. They drilled a several holes in the exhaust for a deeper (heavier/louder) sound. This louder sound was more then overwelming in my oppinion. Also the engine was not running very smooth. was constantly running low/high while it was warmed up.
So this was not THE bike I was looking for.

After this visit I went to an other dealer here nearby who was having a Black max of 1996 with 16800KM (10440Ml)
This bike was realy spotles and clean. No Alloy corrosion or damages at all.
Tires needed to be replased and still needed a service.
could make a deal with the seller that the bike is going to have new Continental tires and the service included for 5600, euro's ((7,407.- USD)
sound like a fare bit of money but I'm realy happy with this price.
c035e1441df3b3f7d2d691f910acb24d.jpg

Just for you to know as a reference i bought my '98 in 2002 with 1860kms (1150 miles) for 6500 euros so i don't think thats a good deal, but it depends on how the market is over there. In australia vmaxs are worth gold... The bike looks mint though...
You have very good vmaxers in Holland mate... Top stuff with Raats...

You are quite right Fred. If you can buy a 4 years old VMX with 1860kms on it for 6500 euros!!
Also overhere in Holland the VMX is staying high in price over the years. There are quite some cheaper ones but they are far out of the original bikes and some needs quite a bit of TLC including hours before they are nice again.
I might have payed some mony for a 10year old bike. But after seeing now a several bikes, this was far out the best maintaned bike i'f seen. After all it's all about the feeling you get when you see it and specialy when you ride it...
Hopefully I can pick it up tomorow. ;-)

Back