Dirty unreliable p.o.s.!!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Battery had been on the tender for 2 days prior, but I am wondering if, because I have a PC680, that my little 1 amp charger may not be topping the battery off. Am going to cycle it on and off the charger today and see if it does top up. You might be right that the battery is still low, it was completely dead, and the charging system is working overtime trying to charge it back up. Know that when I hooked my tender back up it showed charging and, unlike normally, didn't go to 80% almost immediately. Just worried that there is something I am missing here.

Ok, am questioning my wiring now. Here is what the Kawasaki manual says for the wiring:

Black wire: to load then ground
Black/blue wire: positive side of ignition switch, or positive battery side
Black/red wire: keyed positive power
Black/white wire: negative side of the battery

My question revolves around the Black wire, what do they mean by "Load"? Am thinking I am wired wrong here and want to fix it quickly. Thinking I have to swap positions for my Black/Blue & Black/Red wires, hook my Black/White to the negative pole on the battery. Just wondering what I need to do with the black wire. May just leave it hanging and check the voltage across it to the positive & negative sides of the battery.

Think I may have it solved! After doing some checking with the bike running and all the wires disconnected from the R/R except the confirmed ground wire I got the following results:

Black/Blue wire: 15.7v to Ground
Black/Red wire: 1.2v to Positive
Black wire: 15.5v to Ground

Soooooo I have hooked up the Black/Blue and Black wires to the Positive side of the battery. The Black and red wire is not hooked up yet, it would seem that this is a system voltage sensing wire. Going to hook it up to a switched power source tomorrow as I think that the R/R uses it to regulate its output. First thing though the bike is spending the night on the charger as even hooked up properly my voltage stayed at 12.55v @2k rpm. Thinking that the R/R is spending a lot of power charging the battery so I will help it along. Am going to post an update tomorrow.

I hope that fixes it Jim so you can get some riding time in. You've put up with the waiting you do not deserve this down time only to have to wrench on Toxic.

I hope so too Brian!! Have Toxic on the charger and have already noted that the battery voltage is considerably higher than it was before I started testing. My supposition is that the R/R got hot because the battery was very low and the system was overworking trying to charge it. Going to let Toxic sit overnight on the charger and will go from there.

The PC batteries (and similar) like to be charged at higher amperage. 6amp or more.

Sean

The PC batteries (and similar) like to be charged at higher amperage. 6amp or more.

Sean

I am willing to bet that is why I am not getting it charged up completely. My Battery Tender Plus only charges at 1.25 amps. Don't have a higher amp charger so I am hoping it will be charged enough that the charging system will top it up.

Well, finally figured out the wiring!! Sooooo should you buy a ZX6r R/R here is how you wire it in:

Black/Blue: Positive post on battery
Black/White: Ground or Negative post on battery
Black/Red: Switched 12V circuit
Black: Not needed so terminate and tape off end

My charging issues are still there, but I think I may have damaged my stator when it grounded out. Just off the charger and in the garage it idled at 13v and went up with the rpm's. Took the bike out and after a bit of riding noted that the voltage was dropping slowly. Got it home ok and now I am pretty sure that the stator is the problem.

Latest posts

Back