Does a 1/8" rear offset greatly affect handling?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Remeber Me

Reaction score
Considering going with a 18" rear (RC SportMax). This rim has a 1/8" offset for a 180 tire. Does this small amount of offset greatly affect the handling?

Considering going with a 18" rear (RC SportMax). This rim has a 1/8" offset for a 180 tire. Does this small amount of offset greatly affect the handling?

Not at all... I have at least that on mine and don't notice anything at all...:thumbs up:

Here is a mockup of what that rim would look like on my bike. Pretty sweet but for $1200 (rim/kit, tire) it will have to wait.

Attachments

• Wishlist Max2.jpg
    Wishlist Max2.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 84
Here is a mockup of what that rim would look like on my bike. Pretty sweet but for $1200 (rim/kit, tire) it will have to wait.

For 1,720 bucks you can have new front AND rear wheels that weigh A LOT less than RMS's wheel...:whistlin:

You would add the cost of tires to that. That wheel weighs a ton... Just FYI. I talked to a guy at thunder with that wheel and he wishes he had spent a few bucks more and gotten lighter wheels. The RMS and UFO wheels are about 5 pounds heavier than the stock one... That's A LOT!

But the tire weights 3 lbs less than the stock 15" tire so the whole thing is only 2 lbs heavier. Hard to believe that's a big deal.

But the tire weights 3 lbs less than the stock 15" tire so the whole thing is only 2 lbs heavier. Hard to believe that's a big deal.

Nah... I weighed the 17" UFO wheel and tire and weighed the stock and it was 5 lbs difference. The designs are pretty much the same between the two.

2 lbs of rotational mass is significant...

Some of that extra weight might have been the wider tire. Looking at the design difference between the UFO and RC it appears the RC supports are not as wide which should reduce their weight. I'll email and see if there is a weight penality. Being stuck with the only NFL game on being the 49ers I certainly have time to do this :(

Some of that extra weight might have been the wider tire. Looking at the design difference between the UFO and RC it appears the RC supports are not as wide which should reduce their weight. I'll email and see if there is a weight penality. Being stuck with the only NFL game on being the 49ers I certainly have time to do this :(

I am doing for you what I wish I had been able to find out from others... The RMS wheel looks tits! It's just a lot heavier.

Thank you! For the difference in cost I find it a better way to go. That's just M.H.O. though...:biglaugh: To each their own though. Some like the MotoGP look and some like the more substantial look.

Shameless insert of bike...:whistlin::biglaugh:

Attachments

• Vmax done #4 9-11-07.jpg
    Vmax done #4 9-11-07.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 37
4gasem, could you please take a shot of your bikes right side aiming right so I can dup your wheels onto mine?

4gasem, could you please take a shot of your bikes right side aiming right so I can dup your wheels onto mine?

Sure... :thumbs up:

I have some bigger ones if you send me your email I can send them to you. Not sure they are exactly what you are looking for.

They make these in different colors as well as polished and anodized aluminum... :coolgleamA:

Attachments

• Vmax done #2 9-11-07.jpg
    Vmax done #2 9-11-07.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 41

I bought the entire 18" wheel set (RC's not maxdaddy or sportmax) and with the whole wheel tire combo together the weight went up 1lb over stock, the radial tires are lighter than the high sidewall bias ply stockers. I kinda wish I had of gone for lighter wheels but I like how mine look better that any of the really light ones out there so what the heck...

Rusty

By the way. the 1/8 offset is in addition to the stock offset however much that is (10mm I've heard:ummm:)

With a 180 tire it is very visible from the rear of the bike if you look for it but not to the general passerby.

Have I noticed it riding? not at all...And I jus got thru doing some pretty mean twisties down in Big Bend Park,

Radial tires are the Schitzz:eusa_dance:

pics to follow...

Rusty

Which rims did you get? RC makes the Sportmax or Maxsport (what ever it's called).

I bought the entire 18" wheel set (RC's not maxdaddy or sportmax) and with the whole wheel tire combo together the weight went up 1lb over stock, the radial tires are lighter than the high sidewall bias ply stockers. I kinda wish I had of gone for lighter wheels but I like how mine look better that any of the really light ones out there so what the heck...

Rusty

I picked the "Wicked" style. They are referenced on RC's site as well as UFO's.

As I understand it the wheel style does effect the wieght as some styles obviously leave on lot more "meat" on the wheel blank than do others.

The center section is a lot thicker than I would have expected also, something on the order of 5/8" maybe. The center hub sections are also a lot meatier than required also I think.

These wheels could be manufactured with a lot less wieght in the same style without sacrificing strength but that's just my opinion as I'm no metallurgist. A good machinist/ mill man could probably knock a good 3 lbs of excess weight of off the wheels I bought.

later,

Rusty

They make them extra thick so they don't have to worry about road testing them for potholes, accidents, and curbs. The rim can take far more abuse than stock so they won't be liable for anything that happens to them. Additional center weight won't affect the rotational mass as much as increased outer diameter weight. Their increased weight will require stiffer dampening but I already have that.

I picked the "Wicked" style. They are referenced on RC's site as well as UFO's.

As I understand it the wheel style does effect the wieght as some styles obviously leave on lot more "meat" on the wheel blank than do others.

The center section is a lot thicker than I would have expected also, something on the order of 5/8" maybe. The center hub sections are also a lot meatier than required also I think.

These wheels could be manufactured with a lot less wieght in the same style without sacrificing strength but that's just my opinion as I'm no metallurgist. A good machinist/ mill man could probably knock a good 3 lbs of excess weight of off the wheels I bought.

later,

Rusty

Agreed...:thumbs up:

Weight is weight no matter where it is... Forged aluminum is hard to beat for weight and strength but they don't have the styles a lot of people prefer.:confused2: My aftermarket front wheel weighs damn near 10lbs less than the stocker, and it's 1" wider and 18" too...

Either way... Radials will kick ass over bias all day long...:thumbs up:

Back