Drag racing coming home

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KJShover

Proud Vmax lover
Reaction score
The borough approved construction for the racing lion's club to build a new local strip.

So in about three years the need to drive to Palmer's Alaska Raceway Park to race will be limited (It's a great place to race, scenic, loud, awesome people).

Looks like I'm graduating at the right moment. Time to get by butt in the saddle of another funnybike :punk:

We used to drag race at the airstrips on the army base and the airports in Tanacross, and Nenana. At one point we raced on Airport road and the Parks Highway. It was surreal to see funny cars and rails on public streets.

It's always good news to hear of another new dragstrip, get lots of pics when you go and race that Vmax :)

sent from my HTC Rezound using tapatalk

Yes I was bummed when Detroit Dragway closed, it was a pile of a track by the time I got to race there. But still it was nostalgic. Would have been nice if they could have renovated it. But stupid city people couldn't stand the noise.....

Todd

Already had the Vmax out in Palmer, Didn't pass tech. too quick for equipment. oops ;)
Hopefully the track up here will be as homey as the one down there.

2011-05-22_102330.jpg

7-23-04-1-20.jpg

4eef78fe49d28.image.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Beautiful view to look at while your ripping down the track. I like the "tank" too!

Speaking only for me, but when I'm in dragrace mode, my 'view' is going to be focused on that there christmas tree in the center of the track, and then quickly shifted to my instrument cluster &/or the track itself. I'll save gawking at the awesome scenery til I'm back in the pit area. :biglaugh:

That is a really cool pair of jet dragsters in the one photo.

What a great track for the view. Of course like Jim said while on the track there isn't a lot of external focus time. They could maybe go faster if they started at the top of the mountain though lol.

If you're ready for a new drag Vmax chassis I can help you with that KJ! I think I am going to sell my 85 chaindrive bike with meth injection if you want a project! Probably only talking $2500-$3000 as is.

The snow caps in the back make it look cool. How cold was it that day ? ( guess ).

Todd

That was a fall event, so I'm thinking around 55-65 deg.

Beautiful view to look at while your ripping down the track. I like the "tank" too!

That was this past summer when the Jet cars came out to play. The tank was cool, but the "Tow Mater" jet was the kid's favorite.

If you're ready for a new drag Vmax chassis I can help you with that KJ! I think I am going to sell my 85 chaindrive bike with meth injection if you want a project! Probably only talking $2500-$3000 as is.

That would be tempting :) Once I start getting some $ put aside, I'll have a better idea of which way I'm going to go. There is not too much head's up racing going on, which kinda sucks cause I know of a 6 sec fuel Harley that can be had for under $40k, so I'm looking for quick bracket bike, high 7 or low 8 sec range. If I had the cash, I would have picked up the zuk you had for sale. Right now, I'm trying to reel in the reins until I get back to work, You know how I get when I want something. I buy now and think later :). I worked it out if I put minimal aside in a racing account, I can save up around $8k cash in a couple of years and still pay off a healthy chunk of my student loans and comfortably pay my bills. I don't want to build another dragbike only to have a hitch in the track build and have to drive to the Alaska Raceway Park a couple of times a year. But I know that the Racing Lions club is on top of things. They have been scouting locations for a track for decades. Back in 1988, I remember going out with them and doing core samples of potential sites. Somewhere out there in the outskirts of North Pole there is a sweet chainsaw that only had 10 hours on it. Last time I ever left my equipment in the hands of another, when I had to leave early.

I'm torn on the powerplant to use. My old funnybike and the big tire turbo bike were both 1428 kaw's. Using a Vmax plug, would be something that people up here don't see everyday, But as far as wallet friendly, going with another Kaw or a zuk engine, parts are plentiful and not too harsh in the financial area. I also want to keep it budget minded. Meaning, no auto transmissions. I loved the 1-2-3 automatic in the funny bike, but I didn't love the $3500 to replace after it decided to go away. So a stout undercut trans with race cut dogs will suit me just fine. The nitrous and airshifter will come off Archangel and fitted to the new bike so there's a money saver there. I'll plan more after my externship ends and take the national test. I've ran across a bunch of funny rollers that were setup for Kaws, I was thinking that a desent Koenig, D&G, Puppet or the like would be a nice base and then look at the yards for a totaled ZX14 and then just buy the engine, FI and the rest needed to transplant it.

Next month there is a Racing Lions meeting, I'm going to go check it out and re-join, now that I can make the meetings again and see what the plan of action is. :)

I knew you were getting close to your graduation which should lead to a better/higher paying job. This might mean that dragbike/car is possible again lol. I do have the other drag chassis and still have the 1500 long rod engine that was running 8.30's (I was told).

I do have a 123 auto for a vmax too lol! Just waiting for a customer that needs one! Sounds like there may be one afterall!

I knew you were getting close to your graduation which should lead to a better/higher paying job. This might mean that dragbike/car is possible again lol. I do have the other drag chassis and still have the 1500 long rod engine that was running 8.30's (I was told).

I do have a 123 auto for a vmax too lol! Just waiting for a customer that needs one! Sounds like there may be one afterall!

I think you might be right. :biglaugh: A Vmax funnybike would be pretty sweet

Won't be as fast as the newer sportbike based bikes but would be pretty fun! I have a drag chassis as well if you wanted the big engine bike. Or, start out with the small bike and go big on it (it's already got the 10.5" slick setup). I discussed going huge pistons on it since we don't run a cooling system with the meth anyway. I think we can get in the 2500-3000cc range on it!

We got to talk! Maybe put it on lay-a-way lol!

Sean

I agree, we're going to have to have a little chit chat.

I think it's going to have to have a Vmax bullet and not the regular inline/V-twins. Next month, I'll have 6 weeks of externship and there will be a pretty good chance I'll get hired shortly after, then that happens and I get my budget worked out, we'll see what I can come up with. That 1570 long-rod motor on the squeeze would give me a wide range of classes to play with. Then again, a 1500+ plant with the retro Hilborn would feed the retro side of me too :)

Yup, this bike will have to come into existence.

dragbike10.jpg

Latest posts

Back