Drilled Exhaust mod opinions

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WVxNitemare

Reaction score
Okay guys, I was thinking of doing the drilled exhaust mod (5 1/2 inch holes in between the rivets) and was wondering does it sound nice? Does anyone else have it done? Does it decrease power? Thanks,

I did it to mine, and noticed no power loss. It does sound louder, but not too loud IMO. Nice deep rumble like stock, but louder. I wasn't sure if I wanted to do it or not, so I started at 1/4"....tried it.....then opened to 3/8".......tried it.....then opened to 7/16". I liked it at that size, and my wife has tender ears, so thats where I left it.

This was the first mod I did when I purchased my Max this spring, although I drilled 3/8' holes.

It does sound nice, but does not increase power. I think it sounds better with the plate installed shimmed out a 1/4" or so.

Good luck :punk:

+1 mike. I forgot to mention about shimming the caps. I tapped the rivit holes, then used SS screws with 5/16 nuts as spacers.

I did it with mine - reriveted the end cap back on with spacers so it looks stock. No power gain or loss, no rejetting needed. Just a little extra rumble. Works for me.

That's exactly what I wanted to hear. Thanks, no power loss, and just a tad more rumble. What happens to the old rivets after you drill out the tops? Do they just fall into the pipe?

yup-they fall into the abyss! I was afraid they would rattle around in there...but they don't seem to.

is there a "how to" on this subject? Making payments on my VMax so I wont buy aftermarket exhaust til I pay the bank off.

me too. no power loss, but did get a skosh richer. i bit louder. left the end caps off. it tided me over while i saved up for a full-up system.

is there a "how to" on this subject? Making payments on my VMax so I wont buy aftermarket exhaust til I pay the bank off.
there is a how-to some where on the net, but you don't need one. it's too ez. drill out the rivets that hold the end caps and then drill your holes between each rivet hole, re-rivet the end caps if you want--i didn't, just painted the ends with rattle can of high-temp black.

look here at my pics as a reference. http://www.vmaxforum.net/album.php?albumid=570&page=2

LOL I ended up just going for it. It was a lot easier than I first thought. Thanks for the links, I actually just finished up. Drilled out to 5/16" and stopped there. I dont have any screws to re-attach the plate yet, but I'll stop by Home Depot and get some.

Back