Drive Axle Assembly question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

namyzzo

Reaction score
Hello all.. I have an 86 vmax that I tore down due to a knock.. I just got the cases split and pulled the drive axle assembly out.. The First BIG Gear on the end - seems to have alot of play on the shaft... IS this Normal?.. I dont see any scoring or wear on the shaft itself and the bronze bearing inside the gear looks?? ok??... Any ideas?

I'm forwarding your message to one2dmax as he does a lot of work on VMax trannys.

I don't recall if there is a spec on the play or not. You might want to check the manual to see. I've never had to replace one due to excessive play on the shafts. It is entirely possible though.

Sean

I know its a few years late, but maybe for future reference this will help someone. I just tore my motor down because first gear was jumping out under accel. What i found was that the first wheel gear there that i beleive you are talking about had a ton of play on the shaft and was tilting enough under load for the dogs to skip across the face. I put new gear on shaft and there is virtually no play now.

Back