Drive shaft leaking after replacing seal

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well it seems I still haven't fixed this issue. Latest theory:

- The o-ring from the output shaft still leaked so I added some liquid gasket on the underside where the two shims leave a small gap. After that, the output shaft seems to be dry.
- The pumpkin must also have a leak. I will check this when I have the time. To be continued, again....

Hi,

Today I removed the pumpkin and found it was indeed leaking. When inspecting the diff I found i can move the end where the drive shaft enters the pumpkin, number 14 in the diagram:

1.gif

And a movie:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQxRCXa6Wbo

I guess that part should have no lateral movement at all right?

If so, I will be shopping for a new diff.

Thanks

I just checked my spare original Max final drive (I've been using a Venture drive for a few years now)
With the drive clamped to a flat firm surface - a tablesaw - I measured 0.020" play, side to side, with a dial indicator.
The drive never leaked when it was installed on my bike.
Being a gear coupling, I would suspect that this play is normal. I will dig into my manuals for more info.
Cheers!

I just checked my spare original Max final drive (I've been using a Venture drive for a few years now)
With the drive clamped to a flat firm surface - a tablesaw - I measured 0.020" play, side to side, with a dial indicator.
The drive never leaked when it was installed on my bike.
Being a gear coupling, I would suspect that this play is normal. I will dig into my manuals for more info.
Cheers!

Hi,

Thanks you! That`s good to hear! I will shop for some new seals and see if that will fix the leaking.

To be continued (again).

Finally, the max leaks no more :biglaugh:.

The coupling (number 14 in the diagram above) had a groove form where it slides into seal (number 13). I`ve bought a new seal and cut a bit from the outer ring so it slides further into the bearing retainer (11). This way it it now seals behind the grove and no longer leaks.

Took it for a drive today and still completely dry!

Case closed :eusa_dance:

Back