dumb oil question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buford977

Reaction score
Ok dumb question but would like some opinions. Say today is 91 out I am thinking that I should switch to 20 50 rottela from 15 40. What do you think?

I use regular rotella 15-40 in both of my bikes (vmax and xs1100) year round and I live in the northeast with varying temperatures. No problems at all with my bikes or that oil. I don't use synthetic oils. Nothing against them but just no need. Do what makes you happy.

If you want to go for it. Doesn't really make a ton of difference. If you never run the bike in less than say 70* weather I'd probably go for it, I sometimes see 40-50* mornings so I stick with the more "all purpose" 15-40.

I was using 20/50 Mobil-1 Synthetic V-Twin MC oil ($10 a quart). It is a good oil but I think Rotella 15/40 ($13.xx a gallon at WalMart) is just as good and costs way less so I do not see any reason to use synthetic.

For wet clutch bikes (especially Vmax), I noticed synthetic doesn't work as good as regular oil but may be it is just me?

No clutch issue with the mobil 20w50 for me. Just noisier and not cheap.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Ok dumb question but would like some opinions. Say today is 91 out I am thinking that I should switch to 20 50 rottela from 15 40. What do you think?

thats what the manual states for warmer weather, but honestly either will probably be fine.

i'm more curious where you found rotella 20-50?

Back