During My Winter Maintenance/Upgrades.....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

95spfldmax

Reaction score
The last couple of days and for the next few days I'm in the process of fixing some problems, doing some maintenance and installing some upgrades.....Here's a few questions and comments so far......

First, my v-boost motor slowly grinded to a halt over the summer. While I was going "in" that far I wanted to swap out my front coils with new ones just because they were "old" and possibly cracked and failing causing problems (Plus I got a GREAT deal on them - Thanks again Rick). So after having so much fun getting the mounting plate out with the coils and v-boost motor on it I swapped out the parts. One of my coils had a huge build-up of corrosion in the cavity where the HT lead connects. For those who know i've been fighting a hot-idle surging problem for some time now I believe I may have finally found a major contibuting factor.

Also, after dissecting my v-boost motor I found that everything is fine internally except one gear that is totally stripped. Does anyone have a motor assembly that's smoked or otherwise toast and sell me the gear in question so I can repair mine? Let me know. Pictures below(sorry for the sucky quality).......

PlugWireCorrosion.jpg

CoilCorrosion.jpg

VboostInternals.jpg

VboostInternals2.jpg

Onto another question....

Does anyone know why the v-boost motor has a #1 and #2 setting where the cable attaches to the motor?? Just curious....

VboostMotor2.jpg

Next.....

I figure this must be a common problem but......On the crankcase breather hose that connects into the bottom of the air box.......I see no way to connect this thing with no room for fingers to get in there and all these years I just leave it disconnected. As you can see it makes a pretty good mess. What do you guys do? Connect it somehow? Leave it disconnected? Or maybe use some sort of breather filter or something?

OpenFrame2.jpg

Also, I have new valve cover gaskets to install. Does everyone put these on "dry" and have no leaks afterwards??

Stay tuned.......Up next....Is the installation of my HID headlight upgrade....I can't wait to see where i'm going hide all the electronic boxes that came with this thing......

I put the valve cover gaskets on dry. Yamaha put them on with a small dab of silicon in the half moon sections.

You need to give the airbox hose the "reach around". Slide the overflow tank up and out of it's slot and let it hang on the side. Reach in under the box from the rear through the newly created gap. Will make things far easier.

I think the servo is used by Yamaha for their "EXUP" systems in the exhaust. There are both cables in that service. Not sure I have one that has crapped out like that but know I have good units. I am sure someone I have sold one to has theirs??

The corrosion is very common and is why you have to trim the ends off. The COP'S eliminate that issue.

Sean

I put the valve cover gaskets on dry. Yamaha put them on with a small dab of silicon in the half moon sections.

You need to give the airbox hose the "reach around". Slide the overflow tank up and out of it's slot and let it hang on the side. Reach in under the box from the rear through the newly created gap. Will make things far easier.

I think the servo is used by Yamaha for their "EXUP" systems in the exhaust. There are both cables in that service. Not sure I have one that has crapped out like that but know I have good units. I am sure someone I have sold one to has theirs??

The corrosion is very common and is why you have to trim the ends off. The COP'S eliminate that issue.

Sean

Your always a fast responder, Sean.....thanks for the reply.

Moving the reservoir gives me a"doh" moment......I should have thought of that on my own :worthy:

On the v-boost motor, I already bought a used one. To fix my original one I just need the one gear. Hopefully one will present itself.....

I've done the contorionist things once or twice over the years and reached in there, unscrewed the HT lead, trimmed back and somehow got it back reconnected. But never being able to see the coil all these years I never new what the conection looked like. I can't do COPs causing i'm running the Dyna3000 Ignitor.......

Mike Youve still got the two from me ? take em apart see if the gear is any good.

Quote: "I can't do COPs causing I'm running the Dyna3000 Ignitor....... "

The latest harnesses that Gannon supplies have a resistor built in that lets the COP's work happily with the Dyna.

Re the breather - use a thicker walled heater hose that will not kink when you push the air box down onto it.
Saves all the contortions required to get the OE item back in place.

Quote: "I can't do COPs causing I'm running the Dyna3000 Ignitor....... "

The latest harnesses that Gannon supplies have a resistor built in that lets the COP's work happily with the Dyna.

Have these been out long enough to be proven??

Mike Youve still got the two from me ? take em apart see if the gear is any good.

I have both, yes. I tested both and they worked. One seemed more "active" than the other so I'm installing that one. But I don't want to ruin a working unit just to fix another one. I'd prefer to get the gear from someone who has a spent/smoked assembly to repair mine as a spare from that and return your second one to you in working order.

good to see ur making progress mike! get good at those valve cover gaskets. we'll have to set up a time soon. my bike doesn't have a rear end at the moment so it may be a little further into january.

Back