dyna 3000 question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

odieoh24

Reaction score
i am looking at installing a dyna 3000 on my 97. i was looking at pics of them and noticed that there different connectors on different ones for the same years. i saw one for a 90-01 with wires and 2 connectings blocks (box only said 90-01 so i assume the newest this could be was 01), then i saw an newer one 90-07-same connecting block on the left, but the one on the right had two separate wires also, and lastly i saw one 90-01 with no wires-only places to plug wires in. are these all the same? does the newer model, 90-07 do anything the others dont? they all have the same part number just different designs. i was just curious as to why they all seem to connect to the bike differently. thanks for any help

regards odieoh24

Attachments

• 90-01 dyna 3000.jpg
    90-01 dyna 3000.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 31
  • 90-07 dyna 3000.jpg
    90-07 dyna 3000.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 32
  • 90-01 dyna 3000 #2.jpg
    90-01 dyna 3000 #2.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 24
The two extra wires with the bullet connectors is from a newer manufactured unit. I am trying to remember but I want to say one is a trigger for shift light and the other for a retard setting. I don't remember for sure though.

Sean

The two extra wires with the bullet connectors is from a newer manufactured unit. I am trying to remember but I want to say one is a trigger for shift light and the other for a retard setting. I don't remember for sure though.

Sean

sean do all the units perform the same functions? do you know why the one in the last pic connects different from the other two? thanks for the help.

The last unit looks completely unlike any dyna's I have seen. It's either the newest version, the oldest version, or not a vmax unit.

Sean

They only make two units,

That third one doesn't look like a vmax unit, but who knows? they may have ditched the wires and connector and went to the fixed connector shown in the third picture, which to me would be a better desings?

There are only two models as far as functionality goes tho'...
Both have the same basic functions, which are switchable curves and a programmable rev-limiter.

The early model one for the older maxes will not work on the new maxes, the two versions of vmax have different numbers of pickup coils.

The dyna for early Vmaxes had the very nice feature of an externally switchable retard for nitrous or blower apps; plus a two step limiter....I didn't do my research very well when I bought mine (for a '99) and thought it had these features.

It seem like Dyna basically didn't give a shit about us vmaers when updating the unit to work on later maxes since they dumped those features in the new one.

The newer one does not, which gravely dissapoints me, since who the hell wants to ride around with the timing retarded "just in case" they should want to use thier nitrous; which I don't have but would like to do someday...

They only make two units,

That third one doesn't look like a vmax unit, but who knows? they may have ditched the wires and connector and went to the fixed connector shown in the third picture, which to me would be a better desings?

There are only two models as far as functionality goes tho'...
Both have the same basic functions, which are switchable curves and a programmable rev-limiter.

The early model one for the older maxes will not work on the new maxes, the two versions of vmax have different numbers of pickup coils.

The dyna for early Vmaxes had the very nice feature of an externally switchable retard for nitrous or blower apps; plus a two step limiter....I didn't do my research very well when I bought mine (for a '99) and thought it had these features.

It seem like Dyna basically didn't give a shit about us vmaers when updating the unit to work on later maxes since they dumped those features in the new one.

The newer one does not, which gravely dissapoints me, since who the hell wants to ride around with the timing retarded "just in case" they should want to use thier nitrous; which I don't have but would like to do someday...

the one in the first pic is an older version for the 90- 07 max. the dates on the original box are listed for use with 90-01, so the newest it could be is 01. the second one is listed for use with 90-07 and has the two extra bullet pins on it and the orientation on the wiring looks different. just wondering if i should save a little money and go with the older newer one
(first pic) or just break the bank and get the newer one (2nd pic). thanks for the replies

later odieoh24

So in addition to this thread, is there anyone that makes a two step for the newer ignition models of the vmax without replacing the entire system? It's silly to me that they didn't bring those features forward with the newer version as apposed to the older version.

I was incorrect earlier. The extra two wires are for the retard for NOS or Turbo and the second is a two step setup.

Sean

Back