Early Rear axle?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vmax1125

Reaction score
Does anyone know the lenght of the older style rear axles that use the castle nut/ cotter pin. i am installing a side mount tag and the bracket is a bit thick someone told me the older one were longer. i just like to know how much mine is just over 13 3/4"s total and if anyone has a good shape one they want to unload let me know.
Chris

Heya,

yes I have one, it's from an 1985, in perfect shape and 14 1/4 inches long.

Attachments

• P1040976.jpg
    P1040976.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 22
i actually liked the castle nut /cotter pin ones better... made me feel more secure the nut wasn't just going to unfasten on me...

Man, not me!! Seems like every time I washed my '85 I'd rip my hand open with that friggin' cotter pin end!!:bang head:

Give me the nylon nuts anyday!!

my nut isn't nylon...:ummm: should it be?

my nut isn't nylon...:ummm: should it be?

Garrett-what I'm referring to is what I believe is commonly called an 'aircraft nut,' it's steel with a nylon bushing pressed into the threads on the outside face. The nylon is slightly smaller in diameter than the axle threads thereby holding the nut from backing out.

I think Nylanut is a brand, or something like that.

Your '03 will have one on the rear axle.

Garrett-what I'm referring to is what I believe is commonly called an 'aircraft nut,' it's steel with a nylon bushing pressed into the threads on the outside face. The nylon is slightly smaller in diameter than the axle threads thereby holding the nut from backing out.

I think Nylanut is a brand, or something like that.

Your '03 will have one on the rear axle.

haha yea i knew what you meant, i just can't explain myself properly, i knew it wasn't a nut made of nylon hehe that would suck!

i just meant i had never seen the nylon into my nut, sort of like a lock-nut, right?... i guess i never really paid all that much attention tho, i'll take a look here in a few..

Naughty let me know if you what to off the axle or anyone else.
send me a pm with the details.
Chris

so i just took mine off and looked. no nylon or anything...

maybe i should order a new one? put it back on at 110~ ft lbs...

they're like $10 apiece new or $10 for the axle with the nut on fleabay...

The aren't nylon but have a tensioned flange (look at the end of it and you'll see loose metal poking out - sorry but I know this isn't a good description.)

Sean

The aren't nylon but have a tensioned flange (look at the end of it and you'll see loose metal poking out - sorry but I know this isn't a good description.)

Sean

looks like two indents on the threads on either side? or is that the normal part and the tensioned part is the other raised parts opposite the indents?

You have to have the nut off to see it.

Sean

yea i took it off and didn't see anything out of the ordinary... i also am probably not 100% sure what i'm looking for hah. if its something built into the nut, i'm sure its fine.

I'm sure it is fine. I've never had one fall out. You can drill your own hole too if you really want. Use your nut to drill it. Back the nut out to the end. Drill straight down through the middle of the flat area until you are at least started well into the axle. Then you can thread the nut back on all the way (or off) and finish drilling it. This will make life a lot easier then trying to start your bit in the round threaded area.

Note that even if the nut fell off, you still have the pinch bolt holding the axle in so the cotter pin isn't 100% needed.

Sean

I'm sure it is fine. I've never had one fall out. You can drill your own hole too if you really want. Use your nut to drill it. Back the nut out to the end. Drill straight down through the middle of the flat area until you are at least started well into the axle. Then you can thread the nut back on all the way (or off) and finish drilling it. This will make life a lot easier then trying to start your bit in the round threaded area.

Note that even if the nut fell off, you still have the pinch bolt holding the axle in so the cotter pin isn't 100% needed.

Sean

makes sense to me...

question, how much overlap do you usually have on the pinch bolt size. so hwo far do you usually let the axle come out past the pinch clamp? mines usually like 1/4"....

You don't set it that way. You torque the nut on the drive side first which takes up all the slack in the stack-up then set the pinch bolt. About 1/4" is normal usually.

Sean

You don't set it that way. You torque the nut on the drive side first which takes up all the slack in the stack-up then set the pinch bolt. About 1/4" is normal usually.

Sean

wouldn't the axle then just keep spinning w/out the pinch bolt clamping it?

It might but it tends to get a friction point and will hold itself. Sometimes you have to use the holes in the axle (on the pinch end) to hold it for removal if you loosen the pinch bolt.

Sean

It might but it tends to get a friction point and will hold itself. Sometimes you have to use the holes in the axle (on the pinch end) to hold it for removal if you loosen the pinch bolt.

Sean

gotcha...

i was also reading the other thread on what torque to set the nut to. you recommended 50ish. i will play with that this week as well...

Back