easy gains in mpg!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naughtyG

Reaction score
Having re-wired my handlebars-mounted fan switch via a relay to actually manually disable the cooling fan, I rode my usual 90-miles I-4 commute, at my usually cruising speeds of 75-95mph.

I decided to leave the fan switched off, since I figured that at highway speed, there should be enough airflow for decent cooling. Sure enough, Maxine ran a little warmer - just over the half-way mark - but never got any hotter than expected.

Talk about an improvement: the reserve light came on at 105 miles! That's a full 10 miles gain on my usual 95 miles for the same ride at the same speeds!!

Since my bike is fitted with a lower temperature switch, it used to always come on too early. On such a highway ride, the fan would have basically been on all the time! I guess the load that it put on the charging system was enough to suck all that power and cost me about 3 mpg.. :punk:

Very interesting, G. Is there any chance that, with the fan on, it was running TOO cool, maybe not getting as efficient a fuel burn as when it's running warmer? :confused2:

Or am I way off on that one? :ummm:

Very interesting, G. Is there any chance that, with the fan on, it was running TOO cool, maybe not getting as efficient a fuel burn as when it's running warmer? :confused2:

Or am I way off on that one? :ummm:

that'd be my question as well....

well, the temp needle was always pointing at just under half way on the scale, so just a tiny bit below being horizontal. That's 'normal operating range', isn't it?

I'm more inclined to think that the load put on the charging system was the culprit.

well, the temp needle was always pointing at just under half way on the scale, so just a tiny bit below being horizontal. That's 'normal operating range', isn't it?

I'm more inclined to think that the load put on the charging system was the culprit.

Hey G...How ya doo-in?

My '00, with less than 8k, and mostly pure stock...has always gone about 105 to 110 miles before the nag light comes on... unless there are carb problems...

I wired in a manual fan switch right after I brought it to FL...because on mine the factory switch would never come on until the temp indicator was way up on the scale...usually the first red line... As such, I can't see it ever coming on when at road speed...

I used the manual switch a lot in traffic this past summer, and my temp never got above the halfway point on the guage even in stop-go heavy traffic on some pretty hot days...the indicated temp before the factory switch kicked in, was way to hot to suit me.

Never noticed any performance loss, even with the fan running.

L8R M8

Philthy

Hey G,
maybe you should turn the fan around so it "sucks" you down the highway, or better yet- put the fan on your tail light so it pushes you along.

bet that would help your mileage :rofl_200::rofl_200:

Back